Squealing sound from car brakes

hobz

Hi guys,

Got a new honda city 2017. I'm the only owner. 4500km so far. Been driving only 3 months.

The problem started I guess around 3500km ... 

The problem is that the brakes make a squealing high pitched sound when breaking.

It only happens the first 5 minutes or so when I start driving.

It only happens when the car has been sitting still for like 3-4 hours or more.

I'm a complete moron when it comes to cars and life in general i guess hehe.

It's almost as if the breaks needs to be warmed up before they stop making this noise.

It's very consistent, meaning, it's every single brake the first few minutes,, and then after a few brakes the noise goes away completely. 

Having the card stand still for like 1 hour is not enough to make the noise come back. So it's pretty tricky to show this to a garage,, as when I arrive at the garage the noise has gone away already...

Any ideas? I basically want to know two things.

1. Is this super urgent to check? (failing brakes sounds like no fun)

2. What could it be? I want to have at least ability to rule out some things so that I dont get ripped off completely by the mechanics. I feel like brakes shouldn't have to be replaced after only 4500km on a brand new car.. I don't drive bad, But i've had to brake pretty hard a handful of times.

I read online that it could be a glazed brake pad (from braking hard) and that it would go away if i drive with the foot lightly on the break for a few hundred meters.... But I don't know if glazed brake pad fits with the fact that the noise always goes away after a few minutes and only comes back when car has been standing still for a few hours.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. Bless you.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Bad batch brake pads or pad,  take it back and get Honda to fix under warranty.

16 minutes ago, tifino said:

what about Rust? in the humidity

anyhows, it will annoy any Soi dogs that are lying about near the house...

I did some more google search, and there's something called "Morning squeak from overnight rain, dew, or condensation moisture ."

"Many brake pad compositions will make a swishing or grinding noise for the first few stops in the morning until the pads warm up and drive off any moisture they've accumulated overnight. Ever notice a hissing or grinding noise on some rainy or dewy mornings? It's the pads sweeping a thin film of rust that's formed on the iron discs, and it's perfectly normal."

Sounds like exactly what I have. 

Kwasaki: thoughts?

16 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Take a picture of the disk and caliper and post it. 

However, It does sound like the pads and disks need de-glazing and some new anti squeal compound applied to the back of the pads.

Sounds like something that can't hurt. Sounds like something that should be relatively inexpensive as well. 

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Drive at about 100 kph and do a couple of hard stops, on an empty road. That will probably cure it. If not the anti-squeal compound.

Hehe, what a coincidence, i just read that such moves could be the CAUSE for noisy brakes. Cause and cure.cause or cure. Haha

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

You have your answer in post #2 ... don't piss about ... take it back to Honda ...ignore all the other suggestions ...it's a new car

All they will do is blow the dust out! then you are back to the same!

Possibly the wear indicator is not aligned correctly. When the pads get thin the indicator scrapes on the disc warning you that the pads need replacing. But likely not the situation here. Off to the dealership for you, warranty inspection.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, wcoast said:

Possibly the wear indicator is not aligned correctly. When the pads get thin the indicator scrapes on the disc warning you that the pads need replacing. But likely not the situation here. Off to the dealership for you, warranty inspection.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

What if honda tells me its normal due to humidity? Thats what google is saying. How do i argue my case? 

Most pads have anti squeal shims between the pad and piston, as your ride is new rhey will be there, but at times you can get a naughty ride that still squeals. In these cases there is a compound that is smeared on the back of the pad and shims to sort it out, copper grease works too. I would expect a good garage to have this stuff in their kit...

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Most pads have anti squeal shims between the pad and piston, as your ride is new rhey will be there, but at times you can get a naughty ride that still squeals. In these cases there is a compound that is smeared on the back of the pad and shims to sort it out, copper grease works too. I would expect a good garage to have this stuff in their kit...

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. Learning some stuff from you.

With the risk of muddying the waters, i think the sound may have started roughly one month ago after washing the car. I guess they use high pressure water and air during the washing.

Does that fit into some diagnoses?

1 minute ago, hobz said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. Learning some stuff from you.

With the risk of muddying the waters, i think the sound may have started roughly one month ago after washing the car. I guess they use high pressure water and air during the washing.

Does that fit into some diagnoses?

Yes ... as do a number of other suggestions... take it back to Honda and let them sort ... don't tell them someone power washed the brakes though. As an aside have you got your english handbook yet?   Mrs J, well actually me, has been waiting a couple of month now for one for her RS Civic ... I'm now getting somewhat unhappy with our dealer as that was part of the deal.

Take it back and let them have a go ... if they fix it fine ... if not ask them to have another go at your six month service.  Trans is probably spot on ... anti squeal compound gone ... 

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Yes ... as do a number of other suggestions... take it back to Honda and let them sort ... don't tell them someone power washed the brakes though. As an aside have you got your english handbook yet?   Mrs J, well actually me, has been waiting a couple of month now for one for her RS Civic ... I'm now getting somewhat unhappy with our dealer as that was part of the deal.

Take it back and let them have a go ... if they fix it fine ... if not ask them to have another go at your six month service.  Trans is probably spot on ... anti squeal compound gone ... 

Yes, still waiting for english manual, was also promised one. 

Also a bit unhappy...

Also we went to the dealer/garage a couple of weeks ago to fix a dent and a few scratches under insurance. Took them like 5 minutes to approve it. But they need the car for 6 days to repaint 3 panels. Not sure if that is reasonable.

We have 1st class insurance, sadly it doesnt cover a rental car. And we need it for going to work.

So we have holiday in july. So we tried to make the appointment for july. They would not allow us as that was too far in the future . Haha, they cant plan 1 1/2 months into the future. They said we should call to make the appointment in july. Lol.

Not long ago I had Bendix pads put in my ride, a world wide well known brand. Took about a 1000km for them to stop squealing at slow speeds, seems although the discs were perfect they had to bed in...

I have been getting my car serviced at a few different authorised dealerships & can't fault their assistance or workmanship.

Don't believe all the Neville Nobodys on here, most dealerships will assist & honour the warranty.

Take it to Honda dealer, be polite, take the car for a roadtest with one of their staff. I'll be very surprised if you don't leave happy & the problem rectified.

Most issues at dealerships are directly related to your attitude.

1 minute ago, malt25 said:

I have been getting my car serviced at a few different authorised dealerships & can't fault their assistance or workmanship.

Don't believe all the Neville Nobodys on here, most dealerships will assist & honour the warranty.

Take it to Honda dealer, be polite, take the car for a roadtest with one of their staff. I'll be very surprised if you don't leave happy & the problem rectified.

I'm not a Neville nobody ..........ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.4661e1a48ff2a698d99a6f11829f0380.png

6 minutes ago, malt25 said:

I agree that attitude goes a long way when dealing with any type of service personnel.

But the noise only happens the first few brakes when the car has been standing still for several hours. The test drive will not show the noise... As stated in my OP.

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Not long ago I had Bendix pads put in my ride, a world wide well known brand. Took about a 1000km for them to stop squealing at slow speeds, seems although the discs were perfect they had to bed in...

Interesting. My brakes made no noise the first 3000km or so. It started around 3000km

1 minute ago, transam said:

I'm not a Neville nobody ..........ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.4661e1a48ff2a698d99a6f11829f0380.png

My Neville comment was a generalization, as I'm sure you know. LOL

Yes, many home fixes for this issue, but not by anyone totally unfamiliar with the  workings.

OP, in your situation, I'd take the car to the dealership. Leave it parked & go shopping or whatever. Go back later & take it for the test drive.

But hey, just my thoughts.

2 minutes ago, malt25 said:

My Neville comment was a generalization, as I'm sure you know. LOL

Yes, many home fixes for this issue, but not by anyone totally unfamiliar with the  workings.

OP, in your situation, I'd take the car to the dealership. Leave it parked & go shopping or whatever. Go back later & take it for the test drive.

But hey, just my thoughts.

Thats a great idea! Thanks, why didnt i think of that lol. Actually i did state in op that I'm a moron with cars and life in general lol. Thats why i need you guys. Hehe

1 minute ago, hobz said:

Thats a great idea! Thanks, why didnt i think of that lol. Actually i did state in op that I'm a moron with cars and life in general lol. Thats why i need you guys. Hehe

No problem. That'll be 500 baht. :smile:

Archived