Squealing sound from car brakes

hobz

You need to take it back and get it fixed under warranty. It is not serious, maybe a glazed pad or dust. Press the brakes on for a couple of hundred metres while driving should fix it. But I would take it back for them to fix.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, hobz said:

"Many brake pad compositions will make a swishing or grinding noise for the first few stops in the morning until the pads warm up and drive off any moisture they've accumulated overnight. Ever notice a hissing or grinding noise on some rainy or dewy mornings? It's the pads sweeping a thin film of rust that's formed on the iron discs, and it's perfectly normal."    Kwasaki: thoughts?

Your ID4 search is of some explaination. 

Bit of a chicken & egg situation that's why I suggest you still get it checked out by Honda.

The materials making up brake pads mix can cause squeaking especially cheap after market brands,  even good quality makes which l assume Honda use can develop faults also other components making up the assembly of the calipers as mentioned.

You say 3500 kilos the problem started,  so it could be,  maybe,  don't know until l checked it. :biggrin:

OP

A quick question has this always been there or is it something that just started around the same time as the rainy season.

If your brakes are new then I would get them to check the brakes when you take it in and make sure that the pads and disc are ok.

BTW DO NOT TRUST THEM TO TELL YOU HAVE THEM SHOW YOU.  Big mistake everyone around the world makes is they take the car into the shop ask for something to be checked out and then take the mechanics word.

Always have them show you the problem or the non problem as it may be in this case.

6 minutes ago, transam said:

This actual problem sounds to me like a heat related, seems when the material is cold you get a noise, when they warm up a bit the noise goes. A simple change of pads could "possibly" cure it..

Also a few hacksaw cuts about 2 inches apart across the linings will stop the squeel.

3 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Also a few hacksaw cuts about 2 inches apart across the linings will stop the squeel.

Be interesting to see a photo of the discs/rotors, perhaps can see them through the wheels. Although the ride is low mileage it is possible that discs have got "mirrored" instead of a matt finish or have a few grooves turn up, doubt the grooves but who knows...

Its under warranty, just take the vehicle to your dealer, tell them what and when the noise is happening and let them sort out the problem for free, stuffing around with the vehicle with anyone except a Honda dealer will probably void your warranty

2 hours ago, hobz said:

Yes, still waiting for english manual, was also promised one. 

Also a bit unhappy...

Also we went to the dealer/garage a couple of weeks ago to fix a dent and a few scratches under insurance. Took them like 5 minutes to approve it. But they need the car for 6 days to repaint 3 panels. Not sure if that is reasonable.

We have 1st class insurance, sadly it doesnt cover a rental car. And we need it for going to work.

So we have holiday in july. So we tried to make the appointment for july. They would not allow us as that was too far in the future . Haha, they cant plan 1 1/2 months into the future. They said we should call to make the appointment in july. Lol.

Don't panic.

Pretty normal here in the wet season. Had it for years on my old Sportivo, as I backed out of my drive. So much so that my Mynah bird used to squeal copying same every time I got in the lump. Ok in the dry season and after I had been going for a few MT: Toyota tried several things, cleaned disc, pads, re-grease all to no avail. Put it down to build up of crap on the discs over night due to damp. Did go in the end but only after I changed the brakes to an upgraded run stop set up.

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Yeah I know it is stretching the word to call thais that.  Then again in Canada I ran into a lot of guys that thought they were lol

Must admit that most are rubbish bodge it and opp it merchants.

Must put a good word in for the mob at my Local Toyota garage. They are spot on.

Cheaper vehicles like our Attrage don't have dust covers on the brakes and when it sits for a while or when it rains dust gets in and when you drive it makes a noise at first. But go to Honda for a check in case something is really wrong but I think you have the same problem.

Do not put any substance on the disc itself. 

Many modern cars do not have anti-squeal shims any more.

the squeal actually comes from the metal part of the brake pad rubbing against the actual caliper pistons.

you need to get some anti-slip copper grease smeared onto the outer metal plate of each brake pad, this involves taking the pads out etc.

This is relitively easy if you have some mechanical knowledge, if not, then i suggest asking the dealership to do it. 

Find a brake repair shop and tell them about the problem.

They will fix it while you wait and it is not expensive.

It probably cost you more bringing the car to Honda as warranty not include parts.

Don't get me started about the Honda service, non existent.

The first thing I always do is to drive a newly purchased vehicle, new or second hand, to a brake shop to check the brakes and a garage for wheel alignment.

Your life depends on good funtioning brakes  and a good functioning vehicle in the Thai madhouse traffic.

32 minutes ago, dominique355 said:

In my experience squeak disappears after putting some copper grease behind the brake pads.

Not in my experience if the pads within manufacturing develop on usage a fault. :smile:

On 5/30/2017 at 8:05 PM, hobz said:

I did some more google search, and there's something called "Morning squeak from overnight rain, dew, or condensation moisture ."

"Many brake pad compositions will make a swishing or grinding noise for the first few stops in the morning until the pads warm up and drive off any moisture they've accumulated overnight. Ever notice a hissing or grinding noise on some rainy or dewy mornings? It's the pads sweeping a thin film of rust that's formed on the iron discs, and it's perfectly normal."

Sounds like exactly what I have. 

Kwasaki: thoughts?

The front discs on my 2 year-old, 65,000 km Ranger squeak on the first application of brakes as I ease out of my driveway in the morning. By the time I get to the end of the street, they are quiet. The current weather and varying humidity and morning temperatures can cause this.

From your OP:

On 5/30/2017 at 7:05 PM, hobz said:

The problem started I guess around 3500km ... 

If you can equate this mileage reference point with a point in time, you will probably be able to see the correlation between early morning temperatures/humidity and the squeak.

On 5/31/2017 at 7:46 AM, hobz said:

I have appointment with honda in july for some other stuff.will tell them about brakes at the same time.

At your peril.... but I would wager they won't be squeaking by then.

On 5/31/2017 at 8:33 AM, hobz said:

What if honda tells me its normal due to humidity? Thats what google is saying. How do i argue my case? 

Then no harm done. Argue what now?

On 5/31/2017 at 8:50 AM, hobz said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. Learning some stuff from you.

With the risk of muddying the waters, i think the sound may have started roughly one month ago after washing the car. I guess they use high pressure water and air during the washing.

Does that fit into some diagnoses?

One month ago also fits with the start of the monsoon weather, temperatures, humidity, etc..

On 6/7/2017 at 1:05 PM, NanLaew said:

The front discs on my 2 year-old, 65,000 km Ranger squeak on the first application of brakes as I ease out of my driveway in the morning. By the time I get to the end of the street, they are quiet. The current weather and varying humidity and morning temperatures can cause this.

From your OP:

If you can equate this mileage reference point with a point in time, you will probably be able to see the correlation between early morning temperatures/humidity and the squeak.

Yes, a few others said it could be due to humidity. 

But some others said, despite that, its a new car and shouldnt squeak.

Do all cars squeak righ now? No!

So why should a brand new one? I need to drive at night and I dont want to wake up my nighbors every time. Its rude.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who replied to this! 

I finally got the car back from Honda and they found a scratch on one of the break discs and some dust. They fixed it (not sure how but there has not been a single noise since then!! wohoo!)

• 1 month later...

Update,

Back in july honda cleaned the breaks and removed a scratch on one of the brakes. After that the sound stopped completely around 2 weeks. Then it came back more and more again.

Went back to honda again, they cleaned again, only to have noise come back again after a couple of days!

Went back to honda a third time. At this point they said "it's normal, it can happen for the first few brakes when the car has been sitting still for a couple of hours" .. I didn't argue because I don't want to have a bad relationship with these people..

Now what do I do?

Is there some garage in Chiang Mai that I can go to besides the official honda one?

Should I raise this issue further with Honda? How? 

*edit* For those that don't remember what the issue is, it's that the brakes make a squeeling/squeeking noise for the FIRST FEW BRAKES every single time the car has been parked for more than 1-2 hours.

The only good thing about this problem is that it's 100% reproducible! Meaning, If i park the car 2 hours or so, and then start it and break, the noise is there 100% of the time! 

As a computer programmer I know bugfixing is always easier when you can reproduce the bug. :)

Archived