Red-faced over Blackface: Vogue Thailand fails with model channeling Grace Jones in blackface

webfact

12 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Precisely what prejudice, bigotry and racism did it actually spawn?

I said, if you can be bothered to read, that bigotry, prejudice and racism spawned "blackface". 

Grief. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais simply don't understand what is offensive about this. They bear no colonial guilt. To them being black is at best either humerous or at worst low class.

My niece loved these garden ornaments for sale behind Central Festival... Until her Mum suggested she was the same colour.

Her family nick name is "Eee Dum" ...she's the darkest after all.

Gnome.jpg.58c1d885110c8cab6da4c924d3d0a83d.jpg

Edited by Pdaz

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

What on earth are you on about with 'reverse racism'?

''Blackface'' is rooted in hate and as such should not be seen as being harmless.

It carries all the baggage of prejudice, bigotry and racism that spawned it in the first place.

To pay homage to it, in any form, pays homage to the hate that is it's history.

You are right it is not reverse racism, as no one is getting special privilege based on race. You are simply being racist by deciding that this celebrity cannot be celebrated  in Vogue by having models of a different race applying her iconic look to their own faces. You cite past discrimination which is entirely unrelated to the article or people involved. You bring the baggage. You  have made skin color an object of censorship. When the obvious intent was to honor a fashion icon who transcended race issues.

Are you also upset when white girls get an afro?

Edited by canuckamuck

Steady on!! Lots of nonsense being voiced.

Only a couple of years ago the Queen of the UK was on huge posters everywhere with a black face. Remember Benneton? Everyone thought it funny.

Racism isn't this rubbish.

Edited by owl sees all
spelling error

No such thing as 'reverse racism', who on earth came up with that stupid phrase? Blacking up nearly always ends up looking daft and comical. Lawrence Olivier in the film version of Othello. Absurd, despite his brilliant acting.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

You are right it is not reverse racism, as no one is getting special privilege based on race. You are simply being racist by deciding that this celebrity cannot be celebrated  in Vogue by having models of a different race applying her iconic look to their own faces. You cite past discrimination which is entirely unrelated to the article or people involved. You bring the baggage. You  have made skin color an object of censorship. When the obvious intent was to honor a fashion icon who transcended race issues.

Are you also upset when white girls get an afro?

It is a crass poorly thought out example of "blackface"

Whether intentional or not it is using a tradition based in hate and prejudice to promote their magazine. 

If they want a model who looks like Grace Jones then find one rather than reviving a tradition rooted in bigotry and racism. 

As for your accusation of racism aimed at me...that is just nonsense. We disagree but you are hurling baseless insults and slurs. Argue your case without resorting to personal abuse. 

Edited by Bluespunk

6 hours ago, Bangna Betty said:

OMG Thais just don't get it. They clearly never notice what is happening around the world and acceptable. And this is a 'professional' publication. 

Yes, thank god they have not been infected with political correctness.

2 hours ago, teatree said:

Yes, thank god they have not been infected with political correctness.

Being against this sort of putrid behaviour isn't being PC. 

It's recognising it for what it is and quite rightly condemning  it. 

Edited by Bluespunk

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

They never learn.  On the plus side, no Nazi attire.

The charcoal donut fiasco was just 4 years ago.

dunkin_2.jpg

Its probably more the fact they don't care. And I must admit I'm on there side. I wonder how many black people are offended by someone blacking up, I bet its 99.9% less than the amount of white people who get offended for them.

2 hours ago, berybert said:

Its probably more the fact they don't care. And I must admit I'm on there side. I wonder how many black people are offended by someone blacking up, I bet its 99.9% less than the amount of white people who get offended for them.

I bet you're wrong. 

Carry out a survey and get back to us. 

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It is a crass poorly thought out example of "blackface"

Whether intentional or not it is using a tradition based in hate and prejudice to promote their magazine. 

If they want a model who looks like Grace Jones then find one rather than reviving a tradition rooted in bigotry and racism. 

As for your accusation of racism aimed at me...that is just nonsense. We disagree but you are hurling baseless insults and slurs. Argue your case without resorting to personal abuse. 

You really think the object was hate and prejudice. Or were they just using dark makeup. You are the one who is bringing the prejudice.

I guess they can make their faces any color but brown? Brown is a racist color.

Why don't you let go of your white guilt.

Edited by canuckamuck

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Being against this sort of putrid behaviour isn't being PC. 

It's recognising it for what it is and quite rightly condemning  it. 

What if the Thai model had dressed and whited up as Marilyn Monroe?  Would that have been acceptable?

I think Vogue must allow Thai staff the editorial control for the Thai edition, they just subcontract the brand and some content. 

No Western editor would ever allow an infantile gaffe like this due to the negative effect on the brand, whose sales must be already under pressure from the move to digital content. 

Perhaps there will be an instruction to submit drafts for approval in the US in future?

Only a couple of years ago the Queen of England was on huge posters everywhere with a black face. Recall Benetton? Most people thought it funny.

Remember the "black and white minstrels"? Very popular.

Linford Christie 'whited up' for a TV show in the UK. Breaking new ground!?

Edited by owl sees all
spelling error

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

You really think the object was hate and prejudice. Or were they just using dark makeup. You are the one who is bringing the prejudice.

I guess they can make their faces any color but brown? Brown is a racist color.

Why don't you let go of your white guilt.

You need to read my previous posts. 

I ve already made very clear to you I don't think that.  

Ive also, to you again, made clear what I think of those painting their faces white. 

Gi go back and read them. 

I've  no guilt, so, another baseless claim. 

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Only a couple of years ago the Queen of England was on huge posters everywhere with a black face. Recall Benetton? Most people thought it funny.

Remember the "black and white minstrels"? Very popular.

Linford Christie 'whited up' for a TV show in the UK. Breaking new ground!?

Remember when black people were lynched? Ah, the good old days.

Every few months/years there's a blackface controversy here. They just never learn. In all fairness, their sensitivity to skin tone is very subtle, and is not tied to slavery, just class differences.

Thai Brand Apologizes for Blackface Ad That Said ‘You Just Need to Be White to Win’

A Thai company has apologized for producing an ad for a skin-whitening product that featured a woman in blackface and suggested people with dark skin are losers.

The company, Seoul Secret, pulled the ad off YouTube on Friday, Reuters reports. The ad showed two women side by side, one of whom suddenly becomes dark-skinned, much to her evident distress. "You just need to be white to win," said the tagline.

http://www.adweek.com/creativity/thai-brand-apologizes-blackface-ad-said-you-just-need-be-white-win-168926/

darkie.png

seoul-secret-hed-2015.jpg

26 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Remember when black people were lynched? Ah, the good old days

Not sure what your point is ?

Blacks were lynched in the USA hundreds of years ago, so, Thais cannot dress up as Grace Jones ?

Let me think about that for a while

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Not sure what your point is ?

Blacks were lynched in the USA hundreds of years ago, so, Thais cannot dress up as Grace Jones ?

Let me think about that for a while

Owl Sees All was commenting on "minstrels", and other depictions in the past which were acceptable then. Not so much now.

It's called "progress".

Thais can dress up as they want, unless the Junta tells them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It's called "progress".

I could understand it if the GJ was in anyway mocking her or it was done in a derogatory way , but this person dressing up as GJ was more of a tribute to her

Would it have been acceptable if the Thai lady had the same skin colour/tone as GJ and therefore didnt need any make-up ?

13 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Thais can dress up as they want, unless the Junta tells them otherwise.

That isnt true, The Thai Gov doesnt tell Thais which clothes they can and cannot wear (Thais can still wear Red. Yellow or Black clothes, if they want too )