Red-faced over Blackface: Vogue Thailand fails with model channeling Grace Jones in blackface

webfact

3 minutes ago, teatree said:

No hate behind the ad.  Just a homage to a celebrity who happens to be black.

Never said there was intentional hate behind it.

I don't believe there was an intent.

However using 'blackface' was using a tradition rooted in hate.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

#HuaweixVogue #HuaweiP10.”

#huaweixVogue-RacialAbuse nice new add for the phone maybe not now

Racial abuse in many country's is illegal with stiff penalties for those who carry it out as should be.

Here it happens every day with poor old farang and tourists being abused by the two tier charging system. so get upset and complain as they should.

My local university is free for locals but they charge foreigners $10,000-$20,000 per year....should that practice also be stamped out in your opinion?

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Pay homage to Grace Jones by all means, but the 'blackface' is unnecessary. 

Should the Thai model have dressed up and paid homage to Grace Jones, when Grace Jones whitened up ?

Would you find it acceptable if the Thai model whitened up, instead of blacking up, in order to look like GJ ?

imageshgh.jpg

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Should the Thai model have dressed up and paid homage to Grace Jones, when Grace Jones whitened up ?

Would you find it acceptable if the Thai model whitened up, instead of blacking up, in order to look like GJ ?

imageshgh.jpg

I have already, on three occasions at least, answered this ''argument''

Read the thread.

Just now, onthesoi said:

My local university is free for locals but they charge foreigners $10,000-$20,000 per year....should that practice also be stamped out in your opinion?

Well that is a bit different are you saying that the US government should pay to educate foreigners who do not or cannot get an education in their own country?. If so then you think again sunshine as poor old local in the USA supports enough of the 3rd world as it is.

Stupid comment as the US gives millions to naff countries that fills the pockets of the HISO's as it is, all paid for by the US local..

B4 you rant I am British but saw the $ sign.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Never said there was intentional hate behind it.

I don't believe there was an intent.

However using 'blackface' was using a tradition rooted in hate.

This is not blackface.  Blackface is a white person with comical make up i.e. pitch black paint and absurd think white lips, with the overall aim of making black people look like simpletons.

Can you really not see the difference?

Just now, teatree said:

This is not blackface.  Blackface is a white person with comical make up i.e. pitch black paint and absurd think white lips, with the overall aim of making black people look like simpletons.

There is none, and your attempts to make it appear there is one are not going to make any difference to that fact.

3 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Well that is a bit different are you saying that the US government should pay to educate foreigners who do not or cannot get an education in their own country?. If so then you think again sunshine as poor old local in the USA supports enough of the 3rd world as it is.

Stupid comment as the US gives millions to naff countries that fills the pockets of the HISO's as it is, all paid for by the US local..

B4 you rant I am British but saw the $ sign.

I just thought from your post you were against the practice of dual pricing ..it seems not.

Edited by onthesoi

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I have already, on three occasions at least, answered this ''argument''

Read the thread.

To save myself the time of re reading the whole thread, could you quote the reply or give me the post number ?

1 minute ago, teatree said:

Many years ago in the UK we had a musical show called the Black and White Mistral Show where they sang the old time songs some wore black make-up others where white. went on for years on the BBC television and watched by millions.

Then it happened some bright spark cited Racial Abuse the show which was on nearly every Sunday was dropped, the start of the modern worlds Political Correctness.

Mind you I for one was happy as the 1920 to 1940s songs was not for me but many others did like them so lost out.

Racial Abuse not good these days get used to that idea soon I suggest.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

OK, I will just have to assume that you didnt actually answer that question and you only used that old "I already answered that question" to avoid answering the question .

Nope.

On three occasions I have made clear how I feel about people using ''whitening up'' for purposes of mockery/stereotype/prejudicial thinking.

Read the thread.

Edited by Bluespunk

8 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I just thought from your post you were against the practice of dual pricing ..it seems not.

Some people try and twist a story, others maybe are having a wind up and others lets leave them to ply in the kindergarden

Have a nice day and try reading what I wrote as it explains why the US charges those who get on a plane to get education and bloody-well have to pay for it

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nope.

On three occasions I have made clear how I feel about people using ''whitening up'' for purposes of mockery.

Read the thread.

Yes, but that wasnt the question that I asked

I can envisage myself keep on asking you the same question and you will not answer, avoid it and claim to already have answered it, the mods will then delete it for bickering

TBH, this is getting nowhere and we are just going around in circles, 

Just now, sanemax said:

Yes, but that wasnt the question that I asked

I can envisage myself keep on asking you the same question and you will not answer, avoid it and claim to already have answered it, the mods will then delete it for bickering

TBH, this is getting nowhere and we are just going around in circles, 

The answers I gave make clear my views on whitening up.

I don't pick and choose which to condemn and which to condone.

My views are consistent.

I don't do 'yeah but...'

Wot he said.

8 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

....what I wrote as it explains why the US charges those who get on a plane to get education and bloody-well have to pay for it

Not sure why you are focusing on the US, I never mentioned the US, ....UK universities also have dual pricing, fees are waived for locals but $10k- $20k for foreigners.

Also, falang get on a plane to visit Thai national parks( and have more money ) so why can't they pay more than Thais...who are the effective owners of said national parks?

Edited by onthesoi

9 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Not sure why you are focusing on the US, I never mentioned the US, ....UK universities also have dual pricing, fees are waived for locals but $10k- $20k for foreigners.

Also, falang get on a plane to visit Thai national parks( and have more money ) so why can't they pay more than Thais...who are the effective owners of said national parks?

You quoted dollars so took a stab if it was UK you would have quoted £ or Euros in Europe etc.

Also, falang get on a plane to visit Thai national parks( and have more money )

That comment just shows you are ignorant or worse, its inside locals heads as they just do not have an idea of life outside those borders. A Farang has to pay more for homes, and living they work hard for 50 weeks a year and save to go on holiday unlike most there who never save as they do not earn enough.

If farang as you say has more money ask those above you what they do with the money they take from locals>

3rd world stupidity, in the land of story tellers.

I Hope farang he not visit any-more  then lets see how you survive.

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If you want someone to play a person you find one who resembles them.

If they don't resemble them exactly but they can fulfil the role then fine, but don't resort to ''blackface''.

It would be racist if someone was denied a role they fitted because of their colour.

But you just said the employer should only employ people with the correct skin colour for the job... that seems wrong.

I see no problem with putting on make up to make a white person look like a black one... same as painting your face to look like a tiger, clown or anything else.  People are so sensitive and make up problems where there are none indented. 

Next people will be saying ladyboys and drag queens should not be allowed to make up as women.. as that is offensive to women.  Or, at a fancy dress party no one can put on a ginger wig and a wear a kilt as that is offensive to Scottish people. 

If my black friends wanted to make up to look like they had white skin I would think it was funny.  These days we are supposed to all be the same and equal... so there should be no problem. 

Edited by jak2002003

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

But you just said the employer should only employ people with the correct skin colour for the job... that seems wrong.

I see not problem with putting on make up to make a white person look like a black one... same as painting your face to look like a tiger, clown or anything else.  People are so sensitive and make up problems where there are none indented. 

I don't see what the issue is either. The media are oversensitive about these things, well they make it oversensitive to draw in the viewers/readers. 
If they just headlined what a fail the shoot was with unnecessary mascara nobody would have given a the article a second glance.

18 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I see no problem with putting on make up to make a white person look like a black one... same as painting your face to look like a tiger, clown or anything else.  People are so sensitive and make up problems where there are none indented. 

Next people will be saying ladyboys and drag queens should not be allowed to make up as women.. as that is offensive to women.  Or, at a fancy dress party no one can put on a ginger wig and a wear a kilt as that is offensive to Scottish people. 

If my black friends wanted to make up to look like they had white skin I would think it was funny.  These days we are supposed to all be the same and equal... so there should be no problem. 

No I said that they should employ the person who fits the role. 

Everything is is wrong with using "blackface"

No one is saying anything about ladyboys,  because their wearing of make up is not remotely connected to racist traditions based in prejudice and hate as "blackface" is. 

Equality is a fine thing, using "blackface" in any sort of campaign is paying homage to a tradition that represents nothing but intolerance. 

The very antithesis of equality. 

Edited by Bluespunk

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

You made a bold statement.

Back it up.

Yep and no one has yet proved me wrong. So I'll leave it at that.

Tell me what is racism ? Does calling a black person black make someone a racist ?

Does saying the 'N' word make someone a racist, but if someone using 'N'  instead of the full word are they being partly racist ?

Racism is just a word that gets thrown around to make certain people feel better about their day.

5 minutes ago, berybert said:

Yep and no one has yet proved me wrong. So I'll leave it at that.

Tell me what is racism ? Does calling a black person black make someone a racist ?

Does saying the 'N' word make someone a racist, but if someone using 'N'  instead of the full word are they being partly racist ?

Racism is just a word that gets thrown around to make certain people feel better about their day.

So you can't back it up. 

Thought so. 

As for the rest of your post...sigh.