Housewife to seek justice for mistaken HIV diagnosis

webfact

Housewife to seek justice for mistaken HIV diagnosis

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37S5yMcYiovhvXCyNvZT41SG

BANGKOK: -- A housewife has planned to seek justice from the Ministry of Public Health over alleged negligence of a doctor at a hospital in Roi-et province who mistakenly diagnosed her of her being infected with HIV since she was eight and, as a result, has ruined her childhood and adolescent life.

Ms Suthida Saengsumat said on Wednesday that, since the diagnosis showed positive for HIV, she had to take anti-virus medication since she was eight, was rejected by her classmates and children in the same neighbourhood since childhood.

“I cried alone every night at home. No money could repay what I lost and I would like to tell the doctor,” she said.

She stopped taking the anti-viral drugs five years ago when she was first pregnant. She said she had blood tests twice from the other hospitals five years ago and, the latest test on May 23 and the results were negative. Also, her husband and children are not infected.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/housewife-seek-justice-mistaken-hiv-diagnosis/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-01

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

So she had sex with husband in the presumption that she had HIV & only stopped when discovering pregnancy 

While I don't know the circumstances of her sex live, when taking retro viral medications you normally area tested for viral load multiple time per year. At 40-75 copies /ml. the virus is considered undetectable, making it harder to transmit. She and her husband may have thought the risk was worth it... or not.

14 minutes ago, kamahele said:

While I don't know the circumstances of her sex live, when taking retro viral medications you normally area tested for viral load multiple time per year. At 40-75 copies /ml. the virus is considered undetectable, making it harder to transmit. She and her husband may have thought the risk was worth it... or not.

Just curious.. don't they keep on testing during the time your treated for aids.. I mean.. should this not have come out long ago ?

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just curious.. don't they keep on testing during the time your treated for aids.. I mean.. should this not have come out long ago ?

It should indeed! Also, after a positive test was first diagnosed, a second and third re-tests should have been carried out (at least one at another testing facility) before starting treatment.

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

So she had sex with husband in the presumption that she had HIV & only stopped when discovering pregnancy 

And even if she was HIV+, the chances of him contracting the disease from her are almost zero because there is no bodily fluid transfer in that direction.

2 hours ago, halloween said:

And even if she was HIV+, the chances of him contracting the disease from her are almost zero because there is no bodily fluid transfer in that direction.

Sorry to disillusion you on this but this DID happen to a friend of mine.  His now ex-girlfriend was a hooker despite him giving her a monthly allowance - she carried on hooking.  He has since developed HIV and she is now in end stage AIDS.  Goodness knows how many other men she infected.

sad story indeed, was this a mistake or an opportunity for the doctor to take a decent kick back from a pharma sales guy. it seems almost absurd they didn't find out the initial test was wrong within a max 2 years. a few comments on here seem a little odd as does the story. for a start a man certainly can contract hiv from a woman, jeez. the other thing as someone mentioned if taking modern ART then it is nearly impossible to pass on the virus to anyone else as the viral loads would be undetectable even to a standard HIV test. If anyone is developing AIDS these days then for some reason they are not undergoing ART and they should be living a relatively normal life with pretty much the same life expectancy as a non HIV infected person. as always, very strange stories in this country

34 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Sorry to disillusion you on this but this DID happen to a friend of mine.  His now ex-girlfriend was a hooker despite him giving her a monthly allowance - she carried on hooking.  He has since developed HIV and she is now in end stage AIDS.  Goodness knows how many other men she infected.

How much do you know about your friends drug usage and sexual practices? According to the AMA is almost impossible for a man to catch HIV from normal vaginal sexual intercourse, unless he has open wounds on his penis. any woman that takes you on in that condition...........

4 hours ago, halloween said:

How much do you know about your friends drug usage and sexual practices? According to the AMA is almost impossible for a man to catch HIV from normal vaginal sexual intercourse, unless he has open wounds on his penis. any woman that takes you on in that condition...........

Well WOW !

Not sure why the world is spending millions upon millions to find these cures 

OH! & forget the Grim Reaper adds

Or just a world wide scam 

Oh Ps What are condoms for besides stopping pregnancy

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Well WOW !

Not sure why the world is spending millions upon millions to find these cures 

OH! & forget the Grim Reaper adds

Or just a world wide scam 

Oh Ps What are condoms for besides stopping pregnancy

The Grim Reaper ads were withdrawn because the AMA threatened to sue the for false advertising, as most of those depicted were highly unlikely to have ANY fear of HIV. Their stated position is that there a 3 categories of persons likely to be infected with HIV -- intravenous drug users, those engaging in anal sex, and the FEMALE sex partners of the first 2 categories.

Besides preventing pregnancy, the purpose of condoms is to protect sex workers from the disease the male clients may be carrying.

Anecdotally, I know of 3 men whose wives have been diagnosed HIV+ after years of marriage. None are infected.

22 hours ago, halloween said:

My friend has never used so-called recreational drugs.  I do not discuuss the state of his penis with him.  Don't forget women have vaginal secretions also - this was the same girl who gave another friend of mine gonorrhoea.

5 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

My friend has never used so-called recreational drugs.  I do not discuuss the state of his penis with him.  Don't forget women have vaginal secretions also - this was the same girl who gave another friend of mine gonorrhoea.

He is right in that it is difficult for a man to contract hiv/aids from an infected woman.

However it is far from impossible and does happen. 

The only way to be safe is to use your rubber friends. 

22 hours ago, halloween said:

According to the AMA is almost impossible for a man to catch HIV from normal vaginal sexual intercourse,

I believe that there is a 2 % chance of males contracting HIV from an infected woman .

If a male did that 50 times, would that give him a 100 % possibility of him contracting HIV ? Is that how it works ?

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I believe that there is a 2 % chance of males contracting HIV from an infected woman .

If a male did that 50 times, would that give him a 100 % possibility of him contracting HIV ? Is that how it works ?

No, it does not work like that. Yo can have sex every day for a year and not get it, and you can have sex once and get it. It all depends on many factors.

Just now, falang07 said:

No, it does not work like that. Yo can have sex every day for a year and not get it, and you can have sex once and get it. It all depends on many factors.

Although I was talking about the possibilities, the odds, rather than a certainty

On ‎1‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, BEVUP said:

or  never told him......everyone she ever grew up with would have known and shunned her......I wonder where hubby is from?

Umm, how did she get access to anti-retroviral therapy without subsequent tests?

It's possible that the virus just dropped to undetectable levels as a result of the ART. It can sometimes take a long time for it to return to detectable levels.