Pink ID card & Yellow tabian baan - Who can get it?

If somebody was to see different translation if they see them on more than one of them at the same time it could be a problem.
I have always showed the translator my marriage certificate to insure their translation matched it.

Same here. The marriage declaration from the Embassy was the1st document I had translated and legalized. After picking it up, I continued with my other documents. I made sure other translations were the same before signing anything and paying for anything. I carry a card with my name in Thai using big characters. I will ask my immigration office if the pink ID will work for me. Otherwise, I will just stick to my own card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Here's the form the missus got from Amphur Doi Saket. Quick translation from her shows pretty much what's been talked about here -- Thai translation of my passport, etc, two witnesses, plus puu yai baan needs to witness something. Four photos. When did I first enter Thailand (will probably put date I came for good, not when the Air Force had me here for Vietnam). Also, Amphur lady told wife we need to go to Immigration for some documentation from them (can't imagine what that could be in addition to what I already have copies of). Anyway, will clarify the results of all of this as I progress. At least this should give the Doi Saket folks how our Amphur deals with Yellow books (and pink ID cards).

yellow book related doc from amphur.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

The only thing useful about the yellow book so far is as stated not having to get a certificate of residence for everything you may have to do

concisely put; i am changing addresses to a new area , that i used to live in years ago, the new imm here is a real piece of work; i am getting the yellow book ONLY to deal with them; passport works fine for all other things

18 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Same here. The marriage declaration from the Embassy was the1st document I had translated and legalized. After picking it up, I continued with my other documents. I made sure other translations were the same before signing anything and paying for anything. I carry a card with my name in Thai using big characters. I will ask my immigration office if the pink ID will work for me. Otherwise, I will just stick to my own card.

Why ask Immigration, nothing to do with them.

The Thai ID card for foreigners is in Thai only. (Name, DOB, address).

One of the reasons why your Passport should be translated by a qualified translator to ensure correct spelling.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If somebody was to see different translation if they see them on more than one of them at the same time it could be a problem.

I have always showed the translator my marriage certificate to insure their translation matched it.

Same on Thai documents when their name is translated to English.......different spellings.

I recently helped a Thai friend of the wife's.

Her passport, driving licence and bank account all had different English spellings of her surname.

No problem in Thailand I'm told, but try applying for a Visa to another Country with that conglomerate of misspellings!

Then I noticed the wife's surname in her passport and driving licence were spelt differently as well    :omfg:

Here's the form the missus got from Amphur Doi Saket. Quick translation from her shows pretty much what's been talked about here -- Thai translation of my passport, etc, two witnesses, plus puu yai baan needs to witness something. Four photos. When did I first enter Thailand (will probably put date I came for good, not when the Air Force had me here for Vietnam). Also, Amphur lady told wife we need to go to Immigration for some documentation from them (can't imagine what that could be in addition to what I already have copies of). Anyway, will clarify the results of all of this as I progress. At least this should give the Doi Saket folks how our Amphur deals with Yellow books (and pink ID cards).
59312e809c4de_yellowbookrelateddocfromamphur.thumb.jpg.c56671f436a1ef611230d46d428c822f.jpg

I was given yellow book form filled out, signed and stamped, and a document request form for the immigration office. Immigration gave me a different form signed and stamped and the yellow book form returned. I went back to the Amphur and after completing the interview process we signed the yellow book form. After waiting a while, it then came back with a red stamp attached to the upper left corner folded over the other sheets covering the staple as a seal. We were asked to sign again. My wife later picked up this completed document and my yellow book. We were told not to loose this document. Your experience might be different. I have no idea what that document from immigration was.

9 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I was given yellow book form filled out, signed and stamped, and a document request form for the immigration office. Immigration gave me a different form signed and stamped and the yellow book form returned. I went back to the Amphur and after completing the interview process we signed the yellow book form. After waiting a while, it then came back with a red stamp attached to the upper left corner folded over the other sheets covering the staple as a seal. We were asked to sign again. My wife later picked up this completed document and my yellow book. We were told not to loose this document. Your experience might be different. I have no idea what that document from immigration was.

Yes completley diffrent. I had a form to fill in it needed to be in Thai so the Mrs did it.  Handed that in with copies of passport /visa (non o)/certs of residance 1 from police 1 from immigration/mrs TB and ID card translated copy of affirmation to marry for mum and dads names, job done. Two weeks later went back collected yellow book no other paperwork and queued up to get ID card 1hr in and out with yellow TB and ID card. I asked why it took 2 weeks, apparentky tbey check your details against a register in bangkok to make sure you have no other yellow book in your name. Police check your details i suppose to make sure your not a wanted man or been a bad boy in Thailand. He dis however tell me that they only sent the documents to bangkok every friday the day i was in was monday.

Edited by jeab1980

6 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I was given yellow book form filled out, signed and stamped, and a document request form for the immigration office

So, you filled out a form similar to what I provided above? Then, the Amphur gave you a request form to take to Immigration? Sounds reasonable, 'cause right now I've nothing to present to Immigration for information needed by the Amphur. Sounds like a wasted trip to Immigration otherwise.

Yes completley diffrent. I had a form to fill in it needed to be in Thai so the Mrs did it.  Handed that in with copies of passport /visa (non o)/certs of residance 1 from police 1 from immigration/mrs TB and ID card translated copy of affirmation to marry for mum and dads names, job done. Two weeks later went back collected yellow book no other paperwork and queued up to get ID card 1hr in and out with yellow TB and ID card. I asked why it took 2 weeks, apparentky tbey check your details against a register in bangkok to make sure you have no other yellow book in your name. Police check your details i suppose to make sure your not a wanted man or been a bad boy in Thailand. He dis however tell me that they only sent the documents to bangkok every friday the day i was in was monday.

So your wife already knew that you needed that document from immigration? My wife just did what we were told to do by her friend at the office. My wife knows nothing about these type of procedures. She did know what a yellow book was but nothing else. Lucky guy.

Why ask Immigration, nothing to do with them.

The Thai ID card for foreigners is in Thai only. (Name, DOB, address).
One of the reasons why your Passport should be translated by a qualified translator to ensure correct spelling.

It was stated earlier that a person used his pink ID instead of getting the annual residency document for his VISA extension at his immigration office. I will ask to get confirmation from my office since none of them are the same. I already have read the rest of the stuff you stated.

So, you filled out a form similar to what I provided above? Then, the Amphur gave you a request form to take to Immigration? Sounds reasonable, 'cause right now I've nothing to present to Immigration for information needed by the Amphur. Sounds like a wasted trip to Immigration otherwise.

Check with the Amphur as to what form is needed from the immigration office. Maybe they just forgot or didn't know about the request form. Maybe someone will read this and solve your issue, hopefully.

20 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

So your wife already knew that you needed that document from immigration? My wife just did what we were told to do by her friend at the office. My wife knows nothing about these type of procedures. She did know what a yellow book was but nothing else. Lucky guy.

Immigration no only thing immigration had to do was a cert of residence. Went to Amphur  to ask about what was required (mrs disbelived there was such a thing as a yellow book) they gave us the form. Immigration had no part to play exept cor.

Edited by jeab1980

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

yellow book related doc from amphur.jpg

this is the list from Pattaya for yellow bookyellow.thumb.jpg.dd668689331a2fadf62b22d362839fb4.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Have always used it to book into hotels and used it in conjunction with TB at LTO for DL interstingly he  refused to put TB/ID number on DL and put passport number back on without seeing passport pointed out to them that its now a diffrent passport number, supervisor ordered them to put TB number on and appolgised. Also used ID for internal flights however i do book it in thai as the card is in Thai script. Ive used it in bank transactions after taking it into my branch and getting it associated with my account. It is a useful card.

What has TB (tuberculosis) got to do with the issuance of the ID card?

• Like 1

What exactly is the yellow book called Tabien Baan (name in thai script)? Could anyone post of photo showing name in thai. I'll then get the wife fired up to get down the local amphur to get the details.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

22 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

What exactly is the yellow book called Tabien Baan what (name in thai script would be good)? Could anyone post of photo showing name in thai. I'll then get the wife fired up to get down the local amphur to get the details.

ท.ร. 13

ทะเบียนบ้าน

Tabian Bahn

House Registration

(issued by)
กรมการปกครอง กระทรวงมหาดไทย
Department of the Interior, Ministry of the Interior

sometimes referred to as  
เล่มสีเหลือง

Yellow Book

Tabian Bahn.pdf

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

front cover KR.13.jpg

Official name in Thai:  สําเนาทะเบียนบ้าน

Form number in Thai: ท.ร.13

• Like 1

59317403c3663_frontcoverKR_13.jpg.c3f730671bfacf363ca39ae1dcfb8c46.jpg

Official name in Thai:  สําเนาทะเบียนบ้าน
Form number in Thai: ท.ร.13

Translation is "Copy of House Registration" transliteration sounds like "samnaO tambEyan baan". Sorry I developed my own transliteration style since the traditional way is based on the way Thais think we hear sounds of consonants, vowels, and dipthongs. SamnaO means copy of and I've used it to get copies made.

13 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

In reality though, a Police officer can more easily check your local details using their database, if you have a Civilian Registration number. They are usually delighted and it makes their job so much easier.

It depends on what matter the Police officer is questioning you about.

How many encounters with the local police have you had that has led you to this conclusion that police are "usually delighted"? I ask, because in 9 years, no policeman here has ever asked to see anything other than my driver's licence.

9 hours ago, Hans Rayong said:

You don't need to be married to get a yellow book!

I am not married, got my yellow book in Rayong Province and my Pink ID-card at City Hall Pattaya (took about 15 minutes to get). I was No 52 to get a Pink ID-card in Pattaya.

Top 50 would have been a badge of honour. You just missed out, sorry.

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

this is the list from Pattaya for yellow bookyellow.thumb.jpg.dd668689331a2fadf62b22d362839fb4.jpg

Just goes to show. I live in Chonburi City, the same province as Pattaya and did not have to provide any documents from a third party or any witnesses. All they asked for was a photograph and a copy of my passport. I was on a Non Imm O at the time.

The only experience I had that I have not seen mentioned was that my wife got her blue book the next day but I had to wait for about 6 weeks for my yellow book while they did a police check, that was in 2010.

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It depends how you have made a booking, if you book a flight online using your name "in Thai script" then the Pink ID with your name "in Thai script" will make sense. 

The same if you use pink ID to open a bank account, the bank account will be in your name in Thai script and the Thai script ID will be accepted.

A big part of getting the yellow book and ID is providing a Thai translation of your name as on your yellow book and Thai ID, you are not Fred Smith written in English, you are Fred Smith written in Thai.

very good point that I had not considered

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Only use TB in conjunction at LTO. Hotels never had a problem in the years ive had the card i have never not been able to use it in hotels anywhere in Thailand.

back to the Thai Script issue raised by PeterW42 

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

What are you talking about now? What problem. I book my hotels in English when i turn up i present my ID card no problems at all. LTO or other Goverment bodies I present my ID and yellow book.

Internal flights I book on line with name in Thai Script as on ID card when i go to check in  I present my ID card no problems.

Edited by jeab1980
To add and correct

9 hours ago, naboo said:

How many encounters with the local police have you had that has led you to this conclusion that police are "usually delighted"? I ask, because in 9 years, no policeman here has ever asked to see anything other than my driver's licence.

During the Bangkok bombing period in particular I was stopped and asked for my ID on numerous occasions.

Although I carry a copy of my Passport, it was never requested, the Thai ID card being more than sufficient.

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

44 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

What are you talking about now? What problem. 

Read post 86 from PeterW42 who made valid points.

If your going to book flights, hotels, or visit the DLT office and you used your Passport as ID, then that is what should be presented.

If you want to book internal flights and use your Thai ID card, then the booking should be made with your name in Thai script as the Thai ID is only in Thai script.

Driving licences are printed in both Thai and English. For the initial licence they want your passport and use the number of that as ID.

If you don't change the form of ID, then your Passport will always be requested.

Once you have a Civil Registration number (shown on TB and ID card) you can ask the DLT to change the form of proof registered then only the TB and Thai ID card are required.

Same applies for other establishments or government offices.

Edited by Tanoshi

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Read post 86 from PeterW42 who made valid points.

If your going to book flights, hotels, or visit the DLT office and you used your Passport as ID, then that is what should be presented.

If you want to book internal flights and use your Thai ID card, then the booking should be made with your name in Thai script as the Thai ID is only in Thai script.

Driving licences are printed in both Thai and English. For the initial licence they want your passport and use the number of that as ID.

If you don't change the form of ID, then your Passport will always be requested.

Once you have a Civil Registration number (shown on TB and ID card) you can ask the DLT to change the form of proof registered then only the TB and Thai ID card are required.

Did you read my post you quoted only half of?

I will clarify i have many times booked a flight (internally in English) and then used me thai ID have had no rejections. I have started well a couple of years ago now booking in Thai again no problems. Hotels i always book in english and use ID card never been refused. Everything i used my passport for initially now has ID card associated with it.

Edited by jeab1980