Scientists detect Einstein gravitational waves for a third time

webfact

Scientists detect Einstein gravitational waves for a third time

By Irene Klotz

REUTERS

r13.jpg

An artist's rendering showing two merging black holes similar to those detected by Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in this handout provided June 1. 2017. Courtesy of Caltech/MIT/LIGO Laboratory/Handout via REUTERS

(Reuters) - Scientists have for a third time detected ripples in space from black holes that crashed together billions of light years from Earth, a discovery that confirms a new technique for observing cataclysmic events in the universe, research published on Thursday shows.

Such vibrations, known as gravitational waves, were predicted by Albert Einstein more than 100 years ago and were detected for the first time in September 2015. They are triggered by massive celestial objects that crash and merge, setting off ripples through space and across time.

The latest detection occurred on Jan. 4, 2017. Twin lasers in Louisiana and Washington picked up the faint vibrations of two black holes that were 20 and 30 times more massive than the sun, respectively, before they spiraled toward each other and merged into a larger black hole.

The discovery marks a turning point in the nascent field of gravitational-wave astronomy, which scientists are developing to learn more about how the universe formed. The first detection of gravitational waves created a scientific sensation.

“We’re really moving from novelty to a new observational science,” said Massachusetts Institute of Technology astrophysicist David Shoemaker.

A team of more than 1,000 scientists published their findings in this week’s issue of Physical Review Letters.

Like the previous two detections, the gravitational waves discovered in January slightly jiggled the L-shaped, 2.5 mile-long (4 km) laser beams that comprise the heart of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, or LIGO.

By matching the shape of the waves with computer models, scientists confirmed the collision took place about 3 billion light years from Earth, twice as far as previous detections.

Black holes are regions so dense with matter that not even photons of light can escape their gravitational pull.

Analysis shows the pair likely were spinning in different directions before merging, a clue that they formed separately in a dense cluster of stars, sank to the core of the cluster and then paired up, Georgia Institute of Technology physicist Laura Cadonati told reporters during a conference call.

A second gravitational wave observatory in Italy is scheduled to begin operations this summer and will enhance LIGO’s ongoing studies. Scientists eventually expect to be able to find black holes merging about once a day.

They also are on the hunt for other objects, including colliding neutron stars, which are the dense remnants of collapsed stars so packed with matter that a single teaspoon would weigh 10 million tons on Earth.

(Reporting by Irene Klotz in Cape Canaveral, Fla.; Editing by Colleen Jenkins)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-02

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

"A collision with a black hole can spoil your entire day." - Albert Einstein

If God plays dice with the universe, they must be some freakin' big dice

~ Albert Einstein

I find this stuff immensely interesting, I climb into it with heart and soul. I spent three weeks once pondering on Dr David Bohm's theory of the 'implicate order' I managed to understand the basics which gave me tremendous satisfaction.

17 hours ago, sevenhills said:

Total nonsense. 

Let me guess, you're a Trump fan?  ....therefore anti-science?

To each his own, I reckon.  For me, I find the whole (hole) thing fascinating.  

The detection devices also catch audio.   Audio from 3 billion years ago, wow!   It's right up there with a recent presentation of a dinosaur fossil which actually shows skin/scales and an eye socket.  It's considered (by people who study such things) as perhaps the most important dinosaur fossil ever!  It was discovered in Canada, and took 5 years to clean.

47 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

The detection devices also catch audio.   Audio from 3 billion years ago, wow!   It's right up there with a recent presentation of a dinosaur fossil which actually shows skin/scales and an eye socket.  It's considered (by people who study such things) as perhaps the most important dinosaur fossil ever!  It was discovered in Canada, and took 5 years to clean.

Audio?  How can sound waves be transmitted through the vacuum of space?

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Would you go into outer space if you could Boomer.....? Not me.... scares the hell outta me; just like the deep dark ocean. YIKES.... Oh and I think it would be wise for our civilization to STOP looking for other life forms in outer space. Reason being what will happen if/when we find some. Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyy.... Boy I sound a bit paranoid. lol lol 

10 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

Would you go into outer space if you could Boomer.....? Not me.... scares the hell outta me; just like the deep dark ocean. YIKES.... Oh and I think it would be wise for our civilization to STOP looking for other life forms in outer space. Reason being what will happen if/when we find some. Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyy.... Boy I sound a bit paranoid. lol lol 

It's a bit hard to tell from your post whether you're purposefully being over-dramatic/coy or ...what?

I agree space travel has dangers.  Yet so did crossing the unknown Atlantic in small wooden ships in the late 15th century.  Actually, there are many times when individual humans took a giant chances - without knowing what lay ahead.  You could say the same for other animals.  For example, there are rhinos in Africa and in Indonesia.  They didn't swim across the Indian Ocean.

I think I would go on a space mission, if I had the chance (when a lot younger), though I have some physical drawbacks (hay fever, for example) which would preclude me from being a prime choice for extending humans to the great beyond.  I would also hesitate if it required several generations to get from point A to point B - which is quite likely, if humans ever get out to possibly-habitable places outside the solar system.

23 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It's a bit hard to tell from your post whether you're purposefully being over-dramatic/coy or ...what?

I agree space travel has dangers.  Yet so did crossing the unknown Atlantic in small wooden ships in the late 15th century.  Actually, there are many times when individual humans took a giant chances - without knowing what lay ahead.  You could say the same for other animals.  For example, there are rhinos in Africa and in Indonesia.  They didn't swim across the Indian Ocean.

I think I would go on a space mission, if I had the chance (when a lot younger), though I have some physical drawbacks (hay fever, for example) which would preclude me from being a prime choice for extending humans to the great beyond.  I would also hesitate if it required several generations to get from point A to point B - which is quite likely, if humans ever get out to possibly-habitable places outside the solar system.

No mate I'm not being coy and perhaps overly dramatic to some, but honestly the whole "outer space " thing give me the chills. I think the fear is mainly the dark unknown.

Years ago I was snorkeling and "accidentally" ventured over the reef's edge ? and saw the dark deep water, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. :-) Of course I was in the ocean so sharks and other things were possible encounters. OK.... a fear exposed. lol lol 

I know the secret of the universe. No one else, as far as I can see, has hit on it, but it's the only theory that works both in logic and practical physics and it's a lot simpler than anyone has supposed.

I'm not going to reveal it because it will strip all meaning out of existence, as the knowledge has stripped all the meaning out of my own. I'm too sentimental about life to want spoil the party for everyone else. Carry on with the illusion, folks, and enjoy the fun, and if we continue to squabble over trivial details, if the whole planet goes up in flames that way, so be it. The secret of the universe is safe with me.

The sheer density of black holes are mind boggling. In fact all the mass is in a singularity, all we can observe from outside is the event horizon.

The density of the center of the sun is just 10 times that of lead.

A white dwarf has a density about a million times that of water.

Neutron stars are 100 million times more dense than white dwarf. 

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

I know the secret of the universe. No one else, as far as I can see, has hit on it, but it's the only theory that works both in logic and practical physics and it's a lot simpler than anyone has supposed.

I'm not going to reveal it because it will strip all meaning out of existence, as the knowledge has stripped all the meaning out of my own. I'm too sentimental about life to want spoil the party for everyone else. Carry on with the illusion, folks, and enjoy the fun, and if we continue to squabble over trivial details, if the whole planet goes up in flames that way, so be it. The secret of the universe is safe with me.

You can't leave us on a cliff hanger like that ddavidovsky, you could be hit by a bus tomorrow and then it all dies with you. A pm will do  :wink:

32 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

You can't leave us on a cliff hanger like that ddavidovsky, you could be hit by a bus tomorrow and then it all dies with you. A pm will do  :wink:

Betray the secret, lose the power.  :wink:

Someone will figure it out sooner or later (someone with Asperger's syndrome may have the advantage), then it will be headline news, and they'll get the Nobel Prize for it, not me. They can have it.

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Science is infinitely amazing.  Yes, audio has been detected from black holes colliding. 

Sure this isn't some kind of "translation" of gravity waves into the sound spectrum?  Like those multi-colored pictures of dust clouds in other galaxies that turn out to be "colorized," i.e. artificially colored.  In fact, that must be the case since if light waves cannot escape a black hole then sound waves certainly couldn't even if there were a medium to carry them, which there isn't.  Only gravity waves escape a black hole.

Edited by CaptHaddock

2 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Sure this isn't some kind of "translation" of gravity waves into the sound spectrum?  Like those multi-colored pictures of dust clouds in other galaxies that turn out to be "colorized," i.e. artificially colored.  In fact, that must be the case since if light waves cannot escape a black hole then sound waves certainly couldn't even if there were a medium to carry them, which there isn't.  Only gravity waves escape a black hole.

Gravity is a force. There is so far no conclusive evidence that a graviton with wave-particle duality even exist.

Gravity is also by far the weakest of the 4 fundamental forces. 

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Gravity is a force. There is so far no conclusive evidence that a graviton with wave-particle duality even exist.

Gravity is also by far the weakest of the 4 fundamental forces. 

You clearly know what you're talking about! What are you doing on here? 

A Higgs boson walks up to a church. The priest says: you're not allowed in here. The Higgs Boson replies: How can you have Mass with Higgs Bosons? 

Laugh? I nearly did!

Edited by Grouse

2 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Well it is not a sound wave exactly is it?  It is a sound that is made from the radio waves that are generated  near the event horizon, Whatever it is, it is very cool to listen to and to consider that waves that make the sound took millions of light years to get here and they came from one of the most feared phenomena in the Universe.

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You clearly know what you're talking about! What are you doing on here? 

Classic Niels Bohr Quantum mechanic based on the uncertainty principle and Lorenz chaos theory are my two favorite subjects. They just explain our world so beautifully.