When were 10 year drivers licences issued?

27 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

If she is proved incorrect she will be devastated ... :smile::smile:  ... great

I did say l reckon is a legal fake. :laugh:

The OP  may ask to see the persons DL again and confirm the expiry date.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/3/2017 at 9:15 AM, giddyup said:

He did say it cost him around 10,000 baht.

Sounds fake and a scam. 10K way too much. But I guess thays what you pay for forced errors.

Edited by RBOP
add more explaination

I was issued a life time Thai DL back in the late 90s. It was an old laminated paper license. Went back to change my address couple years later when the girls at the DL office all started handing around my DL and wispering to each other. Finally the girl said Im farang and you cant have life time license. Here's 5 year one. A few later even Thai have to renew 5 years.

36 minutes ago, keithcresswell said:

My Thai girlfriend has a 10 year license. She got it about five years ago at the Pattaya Land transport Office. I know its genuine as I was with her when she got it. 

Are you sure it wasn't her second 5 year licence? The issue date remains as per first 5 year licence on subsequent renewals, mine is coming up to 20 years now.

I am 100% certain that there is no such animal as a 10 year one, unless wrongly issued or fake!

It's a fake, no 10 years licenses ever issued. In the past you could get life-long validity; they scrapped it to make sure that Somchai would be seen on a five-years interval to freshen up his skills - and the impact is visible daily on the highways, streets and sois of the Kingdom

On 03/06/2017 at 9:10 AM, giddyup said:

It's just that I'd never heard of a 10 year licence. There are no longer lifetime licences issued and I've never heard of anyone getting more than 5 year, 6 if you go just after your birthday.

Yep, I got 6 years minus the 3 days after my birthday.

It is easy for the bird inputting anyone's info on her PC screen to put any date she likes. She fills in the boxes, punches a key and a machine creates your license there and then. Doesn't have to be a forgery...Easy...

3 minutes ago, biker1500 said:

I've got Car and Bike on 24,April 2007 and still valid to 5 September 2018, thats 11 years, 4 month and 10 days. Normal application in the office..no agency.

What DLT office did you acquire these DL's from,  the consensus seems to be they are either a mistake but still legal l would say or if acquired elsewhere a forgery,  maybe if acquired by an agency they may well be legal too. 

Personally as l see it as said already in Thailand that once the 5 years DL's are issued the date received remains on each DL on the 5 year renewal intervals.

My ones are dated 2006 to 2018.

On 6/3/2017 at 10:03 AM, giddyup said:

He said there was no actual test involved, the agency handled everything.

Why should there be a test? If you have passed a driving test, you have proved that you are fit for the roads, although not in Thailand I might add.

But an experienced driver from a Western country, provided he has genuine common sense, should not have a problem on Thai roads.

On 6/3/2017 at 3:51 PM, Kwasaki said:

Couldn't give a dump whether posters believe me or not.

The facts are I got a Thai 1 year driving licence in 2005 (2548) and got a 5 year Thai DL in 2549 (2006).

The date on my second Thai 5 year DL is from 2nd August 2549 (2006) until my birthday 29th June 2561 (2018).

Also my Thai DL has my Thai ID Number on it not my passport number so put that in your pipe and smoke it.  :laugh:

I beat you, my driver Thai driver license says issue date 11 July 2001 expiry date 9 December 2020, though I only received the current license 2 or 3 years ago.,

On 6/3/2017 at 10:49 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I remember that this "10 year license" had been mentioned in another thread.

Still I haven't found a clue that this is a legal thing.

"It cost him 10000", "agency handled it all", "no tests involved" says a lot, doesn't it?

And I also wonder how he could have get trough a checkpoint with this.

Do people get through immigration with agency retirement extensions when they do their 90 day reports? Same, same, I would think.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But an experienced driver from a Western country, provided he has genuine common sense, should not have a problem on Thai roads.

With respect common sense on Thai roads could get you in trouble,  best is to observe what goes on here is the first thing to work out IMHO.  :biggrin:

On 6/3/2017 at 0:43 PM, Kwasaki said:

I know of mine and of a few others that been through checkpoints that l have found it rare in my case unless speeding,  that a police officer has ask to see my DL and looked at it and took down details.

For most any other reasons it has only been a brief glance.

What about claiming insurance after an accident, are you sure there won't be a problem there?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

What about claiming insurance after an accident, are you sure there won't be a problem there?

I think it depends on the insurer,  had 2 claims in the past and my DL wasn't asked for.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

With respect common sense on Thai roads could get you in trouble,  best is to observe what goes on here is the first thing to work out IMHO.  :biggrin:

I suppose it could, TiT, just like a motorbike on the outside lane quite early when he wants to do a right hand or U turn farther up the road.

One of my good Thai friends – who told me he was a very bad driver and therefore drove utterly slow; he could spent ½-hour for a distance others in normal safe and slow speed would do in 15-minutes – proudly told me, that after renewing his Drivers License after the first period, his new license were now valid for "life".:shock1:  However, I don't know if he had a 10-year license, or 5-year only, first time – but I really looked forward to renew my 5-year Thai Drivers License about a year ago to one valid life,:smile: – I only got another 5-year; perhaps because I'm farang..?:annoyed:

16 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Mrs J knows most things ... she has a for life Thai licence ... she tells me that Thailand has not and does not issue 10 year driving licences and If one shows 10 years then it is either a fake or an issue error. 

If she is proved incorrect she will be devastated ... :smile::smile:  ... great

She's probably correct, so I wouldn't worry. Most of the OP's recent posts are showing signs of dementia setting in.

3 hours ago, biker1500 said:

I've got Car and Bike on 24,April 2007 and still valid to 5 September 2018, thats 11 years, 4 month and 10 days. Normal application in the office..no agency.

They made a mistake, enjoy.

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

Are you sure it wasn't her second 5 year licence? The issue date remains as per first 5 year licence on subsequent renewals, mine is coming up to 20 years now.

I am 100% certain that there is no such animal as a 10 year one, unless wrongly issued or fake!

Yes I'm sure.