When were 10 year drivers licences issued?

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I reckon you'll be OK at your local DLT.

Addresses l believe so when it comes to renewing DL's,  wouldn't stake my life on it knowing Thailand.

If all else fails excuse the joke,  you can get a 10 year one. :laugh:

Like a lot of things in Thailand, rules can be bent. My Thai partner says that if I can't pass the colour test in Pats, a trip to Yasothon may be necessary, forget having a letter of residence.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Not sure that this is correct, though might depend on the individual DLT office, a friend of mind renewed his 5 year licence in the Pattaya office using a Yellow Tabien Baan from an address in Surin as proof and the Surin address is the one on his licence.

Yeah everything you can't do where l live and l guess some other places in Thailand too it seems you always are able to get it carried out in Pattaya.  :whistling:

6 minutes ago, Rv Hawee said:

I have a 20 years thai driving licence. Got it after my 1 (or2 ??) years temporary one. Unluckily, i pass the test  6 monthes after the cancelled the lifetime one. Did all by myself and cost me near nothing.

Don't tell me you got it in Pattaya.  :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm waiting to hear about the 100 year licence now. Seems there is a severe case of one-upmanship going on, first 10 year, then 13, then 15, now 20, when will it end?

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

So you consider it normal that people who don't see the difference between red and green, should be allowed at the wheel of a car?

In most countries it is not necessary. The traffic lights have a standard sequence so you can tell what they mean without being able to tell the colour.

Here in Thailand the traffic lights do not have any 'standard'.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In most countries it is not necessary. The traffic lights have a standard sequence so you can tell what they mean without being able to tell the colour.

I'm colour blind as far as the tests go, but have zero problem telling a red light from a green or amber. If you ask me is someone wearing a red or green shirt, again, no problem.

Edited by giddyup

On 6/3/2017 at 10:04 AM, stubuzz said:

I have a friend that has a lifetime license.

My wife has one, had it nearly 40 years and it looks like it.

Every time I went to hire a car in the UK she said she wanted to drive and I had to remind her about her licence. They won't issue a Thai IDP on the lifetime licence, you have to get the new version first. She doesn't want to change so fortunately the prospect of her driving in the UK has died a death.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I tend to disagree with that statement, the lights do not change in their standard, the top one is red, middle one amber and the bottom one is green, so in theory even if you are colour blind to the point of not being able to distinguish the differences in colour you should be able to by their position.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm colour blind as far as the tests go, but have zero problem telling a red light from a green or amber. If you ask me is someone wearing a red or green shirt, again, no problem.

Its a bit of a misnomer, real colour blindness would mean seeing everything in black and white, it is colour perception and varies widely between people and colours. I joined the RAF in the Electrical and Instrument trade group and colour perception tests were very detailed.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Its a bit of a misnomer, real colour blindness would mean seeing everything in black and white, it is colour perception and varies widely between people and colours. I joined the RAF in the Electrical and Instrument trade group and colour perception tests were very detailed.

I failed an entry as a fireman because I couldn't pass the colour test.

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I tend to disagree with that statement, the lights do not change in their standard, the top one is red, middle one amber and the bottom one is green, so in theory even if you are colour blind to the point of not being able to distinguish the differences in colour you should be able to by their position.

Around here a lot of the lights are just red and green. I have seen traffic lights in many different formats. As I said initially you should know from the lights what is meant but Thailand must have some reason for thinking colour perception is necessary.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Around here a lot of the lights are just red and green. I have seen traffic lights in many different formats. As I said initially you should know from the lights what is meant but Thailand must have some reason for thinking colour perception is necessary.

The words Thai and reason are an ill fit. I doubt that the guy who does the colour test knows the reason. I've never been able to find an explanation.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

:) Didn't went there since..... 22 or 23 years. No, local DLT in an amphoe in Nakorn Pathom province. Still good for 3 years, will see at that time if something new  in LOS.

On 2017-6-7 at 0:41 PM, sandyf said:

Yes they do, it comes under the section  ' Broken/Switched Off'

On 6/7/2017 at 0:59 PM, sandyf said:

My son has no problem with standard household electrics but looking into motorcycle wiring looms, OK dad you can sort that he says.  :biggrin: 

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My son has no problem with standard household electrics but looking into motorcycle wiring looms, OK dad you can sort that he says.  :biggrin: 

This is when it starts to become important. I have changed plugs and sockets on 50 core cable, the wires had a base colour with a line on them with a different colour which gave about 100 combinations . Even some of the people I worked with had difficulty to tell the difference between a plain red wire and a red wire with an orange line on it.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:49 AM, Kwasaki said:

What DLT office did you acquire these DL's from,  the consensus seems to be they are either a mistake but still legal l would say or if acquired elsewhere a forgery,  maybe if acquired by an agency they may well be legal too. 

Personally as l see it as said already in Thailand that once the 5 years DL's are issued the date received remains on each DL on the 5 year renewal intervals.

My ones are dated 2006 to 2018.

It was in the DLT office in Loei, i had a previous 5 years license before i received the 11 years. My wife has a lifetime DL, she ask and try to get me one too, but i just get 11 years...lol