English teacher "wais" and says sorry for attacking a primary school student - but now faces immigration enquiry.

rooster59

3 minutes ago, Grauwulf said:

That'll be it then mate. TEFL and ESOL courses are just the very basics in order to teach foreigners English. Mainstream education is different. When I was at teacher training university there was an awful lot of time spent on psychology of children, classroom behaviour and socio-economic factors which affects education. Add on that your own subject matter and it's a very intense course but very interesting as to what makes kids tick.

BTW there are cases of pupils attacking teachers and when the teacher reacts it's the kids whose story is believed first. ( and yes occasionally the kids have even lied just to get teachers sacked!) As I said ages ago many great teachers leaving the profession because teachers have fewer and fewer rights.

I hardly had any problems with students, part of it maybe was because I always left the last fifteen minutes of a lesson for games, I mean educational games. Also in Prathom classes. I told any naughty students to stand up on their chairs, repeatedly bad behaviour meant being told to stand outside at the classroom door, that did not happen very often as they knew they would have to explain to the first teacher who passed by why they were standing there.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...sadness  Farang teachers 5 Thai Teachers  7     At least the Thai teacher do not resort to violence,  hair styling has become another disciplinary option.  

1 minute ago, Rhys said:

...sadness  Farang teachers 5 Thai Teachers  7     At least the Thai teacher do not resort to violence,  hair styling has become another disciplinary option.  

Not sure I understand much of that post. 

Your wife is going to be busy with those fields of specialization. Commendable.

She is actually retired now but she was very busy indeed. Isaan Regional Director for government education and orphanages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The foreign teacher at the center of an online furor after he attacked a P5 student during an English class has wai-ed the child and his mother in apology."

They keep telling foreigners to learn the "Thai Way" to behave. Now that someone has followed that advice and is acting in the traditional Thai manner for treating students, they want to kick him out of the country. Go figure. 

jaltsc

thai way is fine and acceptable.

that does not absolve the teacher of the qualifications irregularities which is another subject altogether.

That'll be it then mate. TEFL and ESOL courses are just the very basics in order to teach foreigners English. Mainstream education is different. When I was at teacher training university there was an awful lot of time spent on psychology of children, classroom behaviour and socio-economic factors which affects education. Add on that your own subject matter and it's a very intense course but very interesting as to what makes kids tick.
BTW there are cases of pupils attacking teachers and when the teacher reacts it's the kids whose story is believed first. ( and yes occasionally the kids have even lied just to get teachers sacked!) As I said ages ago many great teachers leaving the profession because teachers have fewer and fewer rights.

Yes. TEFL is a very basic, very specific qualification. As I said many posts ago teaching English as a foreign language, as practised here, is a very specific skill set.
I have a TEFL qualification, gained over a months course. I also have a degree, not related, which I gained 20 years ago as a mature student.
I absolutely don't consider myself to be a fully trained teacher by any means, although I have, I think, over the last three years, developed reasonable classroom management skills. I also think I am a good teacher, in this specific area. I take an interest in the pedagogic aspects of the job, read widely about it, and talk to those of my Thai colleagues who are interested enough to discuss it. If I were younger ( I'm pushing 60) I would make the effort to do some sort of PGCE, but there is little point now.
One of the problems is the overuse of the honorific title "teacher" here. Whilst flattering it has to be taken with a pinch of salt. People like myself, and the fellow in the OP are not "teachers" in the full sense of the word. That said, many of us ( not this chap perhaps) do a valuable job, and without us and our efforts the already rather poor education system would be further impovershed.
.Sorry I've banged on so much; it is rather a pet subject. And by the way, being slagged off as losers or presumed perverts rather boils my piss, to be crude.

Might help them control classes better if they were more aware of these needs.  Very difficult to implement diversity and all inclusion in schools when so many disruptive pupils stop others learning.

My wife held meetings all over Isaan trying to help teachers and orphanage personnel to understand these issues and teacher etiquette. I like to think that she reached some people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes. TEFL is a very basic, very specific qualification. As I said many posts ago teaching English as a foreign language, as practised here, is a very specific skill set.
I have a TEFL qualification, gained over a months course. I also have a degree, not related, which I gained 20 years ago as a mature student.
I absolutely don't consider myself to be a fully trained teacher by any means, although I have, I think, over the last three years, developed reasonable classroom management skills. I also think I am a good teacher, in this specific area. I take an interest in the pedagogic aspects of the job, read widely about it, and talk to those of my Thai colleagues who are interested enough to discuss it. If I were younger ( I'm pushing 60) I would make the effort to do some sort of PGCE, but there is little point now.
One of the problems is the overuse of the honorific title "teacher" here. Whilst flattering it has to be taken with a pinch of salt. People like myself, and the fellow in the OP are not "teachers" in the full sense of the word. That said, many of us ( not this chap perhaps) do a valuable job, and without us and our efforts the already rather poor education system would be further impovershed.
.Sorry I've banged on so much; it is rather a pet subject. And by the way, being slagged off as losers or presumed perverts rather boils my piss, to be crude.

Yeh I hear you on that. In many cases Ive found that kids always respond better to fun, enthusiastic adults, whether they be subject teachers, TEFL teachers, teaching assistants or sports coaches. Being qualified doesn't necessary mean you can teach it takes a special kind of person. I've known newly qualified teachers quit within one year as they couldn't handle the stress of the class and yet assistants to go on and get qualified and become fantastic teachers in their own right. Above all it's a team effort.

back on post tho, whose to say the kid didn't make it up to get said man into trouble and his parents are "influential"? Kids in the UK have made some terrible allegations     about teachers which were found to be total fabrication and they admitted didn't like the teache. But by then the damage to their reputation had been done...do we shoot first and ask questions later? Only in Thailand....

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I said "maybe", it was easy getting that impression the way it was worded, but I accept you did not mean it that way. :sad:

I asked, "You were teaching English?"  That was it.  But if you think it was easy getting the impression I had a problem with you the way I worded it, I will accept it.

13 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The foreign teacher at the center of an online furor after he attacked a P5 student during an English class has wai-ed the child and his mother in apology."

They keep telling foreigners to learn the "Thai Way" to behave. Now that someone has followed that advice and is acting in the traditional Thai manner for treating students, they want to kick him out of the country. Go figure. 

Understanding is something they learn in school. Some people miss that I can see.
Easy explaination: He appologize for kicking a student. That´s where the wai comes in play.
He´s controlled and missing relevant education and papers for being allowed to teach in Thailand. That´s why he´s kicked out.
Just hope that one sinks in.

13 hours ago, Suttisan said:

I worked in a government school about 12 years ago, the Thai teachers were always smacking the kids. This guy lost his cool because he thinks being a teacher in a thai government school is something to be taken seriously. You pay peanuts you get monkeys, I'd also be surprised if any foreign teachers in these thai schools have degrees in English or education (no one did when I was doing it), why would anyone spend 4 years studying and work for 35,000 thb per month? I think we can all agree that sort of money just isn't worth it, not to mention the fact that the thai teachers don't like you because the reason you're there is because their English is worse than tarts. 

Exactly, and I remember that I had a friend who was teaching also about 10 years ago maybe in governmental schools and he was not paid by the school but by some thai center that had contracts with city hall, and paid him only 300 or 350 baht per hour, so he ended up the month with only about 20-22,000 baht...and told me that after a few months, he was so fed up of the lack of respect of the kids , plus the small salary and also, the center never provided him a work permit although that had been promised , so he quit. He told me that on a class of maybe 30 pupils, only 3 or 4 were listening, the others were playing, talking loud, fighting...until the thai teacher who was drinking tea or coffee outside came back and shouted loud at them..silence for only 5 minutes, then very naughty again after the thai teacher left  ! Another one had a contract with a school, the same as thai teachers, but earned only 30,000, so that was better, he was also paid during the holidays, the other friend not ! This one stayed a few years, then he quit also I think.

Edited by cedel
details

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I hardly had any problems with students, part of it maybe was because I always left the last fifteen minutes of a lesson for games, I mean educational games. Also in Prathom classes. I told any naughty students to stand up on their chairs, repeatedly bad behaviour meant being told to stand outside at the classroom door, that did not happen very often as they knew they would have to explain to the first teacher who passed by why they were standing there.

No "like" button, so "I LIKE THIS"!

7 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

American teaching English in LOS =Loser  back in the states. 

In-fact he was married to a Thai, had 3 children with her and had been living in Thailand for 20 years. He was not qualified to teach anywhere as is probably the same with many Farlangs staying in Thailand that just do this to make additional income or even all their income in some cases. He was teaching illegally on a married to a Thai spouse visa, no work permits involved or anything like that. So that makes him a loser in Thailand rather than in the States, as are so many others here.

It looks like the "scammer & insulter" really regret his actions especially when he perform the wais with his own "twist" turning his face away from the person he  wais to...

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

In-fact he was married to a Thai, had 3 children with her and had been living in Thailand for 20 years. He was not qualified to teach anywhere as is probably the same with many Farlangs staying in Thailand that just do this to make additional income or even all their income in some cases. He was teaching illegally on a married to a Thai spouse visa, no work permits involved or anything like that. So that makes him a loser in Thailand rather than in the States, as are so many others here.

Makes him a loser in both the US and LOS. Maybe some kind self proclaimed Vietnam war vet or some such. Let me make it a bit clearer for you:  A Farang of Western European descent working in Thailand as a teacher in LOS is a loser. After more than 300 years of privilege, to find yourself in competition with illiterate Cameroonians and fake Filipinos and other kinds of third worlders takes loserhood to a whole new level. 

1 hour ago, Machiavelli said:

A Farang of Western European descent working in Thailand as a teacher in LOS is a loser

Why specifically a Western European and not an American?

Wait let me guess, you are from the promised land.

7 hours ago, JAG said:

I was always told my CELTA equipped me to teach adults.  My course teacher advised not going near kids, although that is somewhat difficult in Thailand.  If he is on falsies, then he's heading for clink- it's likely he's using a false instrument to obtain a visa and that is deemed a serious offence.

1 hour ago, Machiavelli said:

Makes him a loser in both the US and LOS. Maybe some kind self proclaimed Vietnam war vet or some such. Let me make it a bit clearer for you:  A Farang of Western European descent working in Thailand as a teacher in LOS is a loser. After more than 300 years of privilege, to find yourself in competition with illiterate Cameroonians and fake Filipinos and other kinds of third worlders takes loserhood to a whole new level. 

Blimey that's a bit of a generalisation isn't it?

So a fully qualified western European teacher who works for a large International school with a decent salary and package is a loser?

Take the English Teacher and kick his ass to the curb.  He has no business teaching or being around kids.  There are thousands of people who would love to teach English and live in Thailand (like me) who have the right attitude and skill-set needed to teach.

I may sound over the top but I am passionate about this subject.  Some Farangs forget they are "Guests" in the Kingdom of Thailand and they cannot behave as they please.

This boy, who the teacher physically abused, and the other students, will now grow up believing that "White People" are all A-holes.  This really bothers me because I have heard Thai children speak before about "White People" in disparaging ways.  What is one to do about the offenses committed by others that smear an entire group or race of people when you yourself only have good things in your heart?  What defense do you have?

This is why this kind of thing really bothers me.

Edited by billmichael
Additional comment, clarification, and spelling.

Makes him a loser in both the US and LOS. Maybe some kind self proclaimed Vietnam war vet or some such. Let me make it a bit clearer for you:  A Farang of Western European descent working in Thailand as a teacher in LOS is a loser. After more than 300 years of privilege, to find yourself in competition with illiterate Cameroonians and fake Filipinos and other kinds of third worlders

If all your views are based on such generalised extreme prejudices, driven by an ego the size of a Hino bus, mixed with a healthy dash of racism, perhaps that makes you the loser?

Unless of course your life is so empty and pointless that you get your buzz from picking fights on TVF?

That "takes loserhood to a whole new level. "

On 2017-6-3 at 4:50 AM, tomwct said:

He looks like he's dressed to go to the beach. I hope he didn't buy his credentials in Khao son road.

I'll bet he did or they are fake anyway from some other source.  What else doe's "irregularities in his credentials" mean.