Fish pond refilled

Hello all

As stated this is what i just did after a complete clean and have had a casualty prior to this one 

But this time i think it may get worse & also the water is a bit cloudy, maybe a bit smelly as well

So a ? would be do the Thais add Aluminium Sulphate to the water during rainy season 

Thanks all

I would like to know also.  My large pond has been great for 3 years.  But a few days ago I had to go into it to fix the fountain in the middle... and in doing so stirred up a lot of smelly sediment from the pond bottom.  The next day 2 of my koi fish were dead floating on top... I can only assume it was toxic stuff, or bacteria killed them from the sediment.  I wish I just left it alone now!!

For the first poster,you could add a UV lamp unit to your filter system,

that will clear cloudy water,and kill algae,and protect your fish from 

viruses  and bacteria.

the second poster, you should syphon the bottom of your pond on

regular  intervals,its surprising how much sediment accumulates 

and as you have found out is not good for the fish,dont leave it  alone

syphon it out.

regards worgeordie

All ok now

Must of just been shock as i had to seperate the ones that were going belly up & used a 15 lt of bottled water for them to recoup since the healthy fish would of killed them due to signs of illness 

On 2017-6-4 at 10:02 AM, jak2002003 said:

I would like to know also.  My large pond has been great for 3 years.  But a few days ago I had to go into it to fix the fountain in the middle... and in doing so stirred up a lot of smelly sediment from the pond bottom.  The next day 2 of my koi fish were dead floating on top... I can only assume it was toxic stuff, or bacteria killed them from the sediment.  I wish I just left it alone now!!

Certainly a sign that you have insifficient water circulation. More current would take care of the toxins which are created in an anaerobic environment. You need to get diffused Oxygen down there so the the proper bacteria can consume the nitrates.

Is it a concrete pond or natural?

Myself always used the same...  Plastic flower pot large saucers.. cut 3 large slits with rim off... cut hole in middle I use 2" pipe,  put in bottom of pond upside down as it were, [have 3 in main pond] the water going to the filters then brings up all mess from the bottom..

works fine + clean bottom for many years [last time cleaned 13 years ago had to be cleaned as stupid Pest Control sprayer new boy was not told, and sprayed all over the pond killing all Koi]

Edited by ignis

On 2017-6-4 at 10:02 AM, jak2002003 said:

If a Koi dies then best to treat the water with 'Formalin'  very cheap to buy at Pharmacy, failing that buy Antibiotic capsules, there in strips of 10 [maybe 20 baht] open all [just use the powder inside] and add to some water stir well and add slowly over a water jet to pond. 

Edited by ignis

19 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Certainly a sign that you have insifficient water circulation. More current would take care of the toxins which are created in an anaerobic environment. You need to get diffused Oxygen down there so the the proper bacteria can consume the nitrates.

Is it a concrete pond or natural?

The pond is a liner.  Its huge... but not deep.  Its really a nature pond for frogs, snakes, turtles, etc.. but many years ago I put in 8 baby koi carp.  Also used to keep ducks on the lake.. but sold them after a year as they preferred our swimming pool to the lake!!!

The pond water is pumped out to use in the garden sprinkler system.. and the pond is topped up by well water.  There is a very large tall fountain in the center (several meters high), but this is only used for decoration when we have visitors, or in very hot weather to add oxygen to the water.

The pond has never had any problems before.  Since the 2 fish died after I disturbed the sediment I am glad to say the pond has settled back down to normal.  The remaining fish are very healthy looking and lively... and the water has cleared again.

I think I will just leave it alone to get a natural balance... after all, there are no water fountains in a natural pond and fish seem to do fine in them. (I don't add any fish food.. the fish getting all the natural food they need from the plants and animals in the lake). Also I have never added any chemicals... and the water has never turned green or had any algae problems. 

Most natural bodies of water do have a source of new water and some kind of water exchange. If yours is working the way you like it then all is good. Adding a pump or aeration can be a simple improvement. But I am sure you know that. How big are your koi now?

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Most natural bodies of water do have a source of new water and some kind of water exchange. If yours is working the way you like it then all is good. Adding a pump or aeration can be a simple improvement. But I am sure you know that. How big are your koi now?

Hi.  The pond gets some new water top up from the well when the sprinkler water is pumped out, and in  heavy rainstorms the pond water level rises and at the far end there is an overflow out into the ditch...

2 of the koi are  full grown... the others are half grown.  It was the medium sized 2 which died.. and they were  white butterfly koi... the ones with long flowing fins.  The standard ones seem stronger.

There is a shoal of rosy barbs which breed in there... and the usual frogs, toads, turtles and dragonflies plus 3 albino 'blaa duk' catfish.  We have a couple of species of kingfishers regularly visit the pond and lesser whistling ducks. 

There are lots of plants in there... the banks have a creeping plant which extends out into the lake.. where the fish like to breed in the roots.  I clear that out a few times a year.

I am moving home in a few months... I will make a small pond at the new place for wildlife again.. but this time no koi as they get too big!!!  

I would be interested to know if anyone knows about the clay based pond liner?  I saw a video on You Tube where this material came on a big roll and was installed same as a plastic black liner... but this stuff was clay in a woven matt material.  Liked the look of it and seemed more natural and pleasing to the eye... Also easier to make a smooth contoured natural pond more than concrete. 

9 hours ago, Arjen said:

I did some small research. The English name is Alum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum). It seems to work to kill algae and also snails. From both I have to much in my pond.

I think I will give it a try.

Keep you updated.

Arjen.

If you want to rid you pond of snails put some turtles in there... they love to eat them!  If you garden is secured so they can't escape I suggest Red Eared Sliders... very inexpensive from the pet fish shops.  They grow really fast and are nice to watch.  It's important they can not escape from you garden as they are an invasive species and can become a pest in the natural environment. 

If they could escape from your garden and you live in a rural area with natural ponds and rice fields, you could ask a Thai neighbor to find a few of the snail eating turtles that live naturally in Thailand.  They will stay in your pond if there is a good supply of snails.... although they are nocturnal so you won't get to see them much.