US passport almost out of pages

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

This info is out of date. See above post about renewal by mail. Also, not "all" new passports have 52 pages. You have to check the box on the application for the thicker passport, though the cost is the same. I'm sure of this info for two reasons: 1) I got a new passport last December, and 2) I'm a warden (volunteer) for the Consulate. They keep us up-to-date, and expect us wardens to help get the word out.

That contradicts all info I have seen before. It has often been stated all passports issued overseas will have 52 pages.

I just checked the info for mail in applications and see not mention of them not being 52 pages. Also no where else does it mention it on the website.

1 hour ago, bangkoken said:

Renewal through the mail in Thailand is not a very good idea. Make an appointment and take yourself to the American Embassy. Quick & easy.

I concur on not using the mail for your passport.  If you are lucky enough to live near the American Embassy in Bangkok or in one of the cities where the American Embassy holds consular outreach events doing it in person is a safer way of getting it done.  My understanding is that you are notified by email when the new one is ready to be picked up.  I don't mind making the trip to Bangkok to do that.  Picking it up is a pretty simple process, I think.  Only have to do that every 9 years or so. 

10 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I concur on not using the mail for your passport.  If you are lucky enough to live near the American Embassy in Bangkok or in one of the cities where the American Embassy holds consular outreach events doing it in person is a safer way of getting it done.  My understanding is that you are notified by email when the new one is ready to be picked up.  I don't mind making the trip to Bangkok to do that.  Picking it up is a pretty simple process, I think.  Only have to do that every 9 years or so. 

It's about 3 every years if here often on Tourist Visas acquired at nearby consulates, unfortunately.  Even consulate personnel will tell you that obtaining a new passport is what you need to do if you are under 50, not working, spend a lot of time in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's about 3 every years if here often on Tourist Visas acquired at nearby consulates, unfortunately.  Even consulate personnel will tell you that obtaining a new passport is what you need to do if you are under 50, not working, spend a lot of time in Thailand.

True, hadn't thought about that.  I've got it easy as I'm on retirement extension so I consume only one page a year (an extension stamp and multiple reentry permit) to stay here.    

3 hours ago, skatewash said:

The only pages that are usable for visas and stamps are ones titled at the top Visas.  Of my 52-page passport only 41 of those pages can be used for visas.  The other pages are used for notices (2 pages), photo ID (2 pages), personal data and emergency contact (1 page), important information (3 pages), and endorsements (3 pages).

And then the first 2 useable pages are taken up by 'transfers' of visa extentions, etc... from the old passport that immigration puts into the new passport.

For the record, I'm back in the US for a couple of months and I renewed my passport by mail to Philadelphia.  And, regardless of what anybody says "ought" to be the number of pages, what I got was a new passport with 17 "usable" (meaning blank pages usable for visas and sundry stamps and three pages at the end for endorsements).  And, yea, I can count.

But....looking at the order form again, I now see that one can mark a box for a "Regular Book (Standard)" or another box marked "Large Book (Non-Standard)."  I marked neither box (only a box above those two options for a US Passport only) so it seems I ended up with the dinky 17-page "standard" passport.  Damn (oh well, hopefully somebody will read this and avoid the same mistake). If I'm lucky, I'll actually remember what to do in about 5 years when I have to renew again (there's no way 17 pages is enough for 10 years with various travels in and out of Thailand).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CMBob said:

For the record, I'm back in the US for a couple of months and I renewed my passport by mail to Philadelphia.  And, regardless of what anybody says "ought" to be the number of pages, what I got was a new passport with 17 "usable" (meaning blank pages usable for visas and sundry stamps and three pages at the end for endorsements).  And, yea, I can count.

But....looking at the order form again, I now see that one can mark a box for a "Regular Book (Standard)" or another box marked "Large Book (Non-Standard)."  I marked neither box (only a box above those two options for a US Passport only) so it seems I ended up with the dinky 17-page "standard" passport.  Damn (oh well, hopefully somebody will read this and avoid the same mistake). If I'm lucky, I'll actually remember what to do in about 5 years when I have to renew again (there's no way 17 pages is enough for 10 years with various travels in and out of Thailand).

A 52 page passport only has 41 pages marked for visas (and etc).

Before they put the box to select the larger version of the passport you had to include a note requesting it when applying by mail in states. I did that back in 2004 when I was there long enough get it by mail. I have not had a small passport since about 1980.

I don't recall there being a box in 2013 when I applied for one at the embassy here but got a 52 page passport without requesting  it.