Best Food in Hang Dong / Mae Hia area?

markcm19

Fajitas - Samoeng Rd

The Hideaway - north on 108, turn off by the big SCB bank, 4 different menus + take home bagels, cheeses, etc.

Waffle House - Mae Hia market complex

Papa Rocks - 3rd ring road

Pizza & Pasta - across from Papa Rocks

Hello Solao - North of Mae Hia on the Canal Rd

The Rainforest for atmosphere on the road to the Night Safari close to 108

The little Burrito truck parks in Mae Hia market @ 11:00 until she sells out (Border Run) some days gone by 12:30 - others until about 2:00....

That's a few to pick from....

Rain forest for atmosphere but probably not for food, Origin Cafe just down the road from there, open 7.30 am to 6 pm. Nice people also.

Laughing Monkey (not a restaurant but a producer) for bacon & sausage and some fine ready meals. google them to find their location way behind Rimping.

pgraham - by 3rd ring road do you mean the 121? if so which side of the 108 is it located, I've heard good things and would like to try there.

One more vote for September.

Same corner as Big C one in Hang Dong.....

From BC you'd have to drive towards Mae Hia & u-turn coming back towards BC take the offramp to go to 108 & it's on the ramp part itself....Wooden building.....

Not sure you are looking very hard.Coming from Big C,Mae Hia down to the Canal Rd you have at least 6 places to eat Good View etc.Turning left Pancake House behind the Mae Hia market and they dont do just Pancakes,along Canal Rd heading south Yumee Pizza ,Kwans Kitchen,turn left Garden 49 ,Nics and ones alreadt mentioned .Go back to Canal Rd and out towards Doi Kham even more.Far too numerous to list all.We had lunch at Kad Farang food court today about 20 options there 

In addition to the ones mentioned I'd would also like to add Francesca (Italian, on the Canal Road).   Really very nice.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d5005036-Reviews-Francesca_Pizzeria-Chiang_Mai.html 

and 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Francesca-Pizzeria/162758493802637  

It says Pizzeria in the name but I think that's selling the place short; there is a big variety of Italian/Mediterranean dishes.

1 hour ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

In addition to the ones mentioned I'd would also like to add Francesca (Italian, on the Canal Road).   Really very nice.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d5005036-Reviews-Francesca_Pizzeria-Chiang_Mai.html 

and 

It says Pizzeria in the name but I think that's selling the place short; there is a big variety of Italian/Mediterranean dishes.

As many times as I've meant to stop there I'm already past by the time I re-notice it.....Any good?

20 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

At Kad Farrang behind the Starbucks is a nice Vietnamese Resturant...

Has as anyone tried the Huen Phen on Rachchapruek Rd?

The food snobs won't agree with you......

But

We like the place & it's always packed.....

Just brought one of those big box things/set home yesterday...... 250B = 3 happy gals.....

8 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

The food snobs won't agree with you......

But

We like the place & it's always packed.....

Just brought one of those big box things/set home yesterday...... 250B = 3 happy gals.....

The only thing I don't like is this branch does not sell their yummy bagget sandwich (which is on the menu)... but the new branch at 89 Plaza does ;-)

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

I've been to the Huen Pen several times.  The missus loves the place and apparently it has quite the following.

As  Westerner I find the food to be ok.  Would I rave about it? Probably not.  But a lot of Thais say it's really good, but then it is apparently the place to be seen.

It's always busy so that means the food turns over quickly...which is a good thing if you don't want Delhi belly!

14 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

As many times as I've meant to stop there I'm already past by the time I re-notice it.....Any good?

Yes, I think it's really really good actually.  Definitely miles better than Yummie Pizza, Khwan Kitchen and Littel Italy Garden (next to Huen Phen) nearby. (Although those are all 'okay'). Perhaps similar in quality to September at Chill Park at the Big C intersection, although the food style is a bit different (September is more general Western fare, Francesca sticks more to the Italian theme.)     It's actually a place we like going to when wanting something slightly special and enjoyable but not go all the way into town.

12 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I like that Vietnamese place too yes, and also the Isaan food restaurant is good if you like that.  And there used to be a Thai restaurant as well (as in Central Thai) on the lane past Mc Donalds there but it was closed last time I drove by.  Not sure if they moved because that was quite good.

Huen Phen we visit the original location in the old city pretty often, but not this one so much but haven't been in a long time; I should probably try again.

There's a guy on Night Safari road who makes a pretty mean burger.  Nice guy from the US, I think, married to a Northern Thai woman. What make him a bit unique is that he sells out of custom built, solar-powered truck. The burgers are a bit on the small side, compared to the likes of the Dukes or Beast Burger. But prices are reasonable the flavor is very good. "Kitchen with Sol-Hy" (as in Solar-Hybrid). His main thing is a bacon cheeseburger, but he also does chicken, roast been and pulled pork sliders. (Haven't tried the latter three yet):

https://www.facebook.com/SolhyKitchen/

(Note that his Facebook page mentions being on Nimmanhaemin, but he's also at on the Night Safari road, right around here:

https://goo.gl/maps/yVZAHobYxkk

IMG_20170527_123842.jpg

17 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

and 

We used go there often,its a quiet, relatively small,intimate restaurant.If you dont like crowds and want good food/service good choice.Time to go again

Just came across a funky hotdog place... its on Samoeng Rd between the Hang Dong Hwy and Canal Road on the south side...  its called Mel's Saleng Hot dog

My parter and I split a hotdog and curry sausages over toasted bun with herb cottage fries - all very fusion with herbs and spices - Delicous!...

398B1C62-B9DE-4F39-B802-3045BAFAD2AEL0001--B00B2B62-F64F-4595-B140-A8713F1C7160.JPG.jpg

On 05/06/2017 at 4:06 PM, pgrahmm said:

There is supposed to be a fabulous rib place about a kilo beyond Fajitas.....

So much so that reservations are needed - haven't gotten there yet....

It is good - it's always busy and I think part of the reason reservations are needed is he only buys what has been ordered (you order when you make your reservation)

There is a bar next door that does a good selection of draught craft beers

On June 5, 2017 at 8:56 PM, sfokevin said:

Cannot recommend this place.

Within 1 hour of eating, 2 of us were throwing up violently - to be fair both of us had lemongrass juice in a plastic bottle, and the third person didn't have that drink and was not sick...so good chance the drink was bad.

But cannot bring myself to eat there again...

6 hours ago, VIBE said:

We had a bad experience at the Rain forrest place. Large group of us, 3 farungs with Thai wifes and kids and a few others.  Lots of food, little bit of drink.  The bill comes and two of the Thai women go over it together, then tell everyone what each couple owes, everyone passes the money to them, they count it, make sure there is a decent tip and call the waiter over.  He takes it, leaves, comes back a few mins later to say we are short 1000B!!  No way!  Two of the women checked it, and made sure it was more then enough so as there is tip.  Manager comes out and threatens to call the police.  We all tell her to please do call them, and then let us check the security cameras.  After a bit of back and forth she says the young waiter boy will be responsible and it will come out of his wages, as if our sympathy would make us cough up an additional 1000B.  We all said well he was responsible for taking the cash, and ensuring it was correct before he left the table, so yes, take it out of his wages, and we all walked out.  Terrible end to a lovely night.  Have not been back since.

I've heard similar stories to this before.  Been there twice and that was enough for me, food very ordinary, service not all that good and prices too high, so off our list these days.

• 3 months later...
On 6/13/2017 at 9:49 AM, narkeddiver said:

It is good - it's always busy and I think part of the reason reservations are needed is he only buys what has been ordered (you order when you make your reservation)

There is a bar next door that does a good selection of draught craft beers

Do you know the name of the rib place?

Archived