Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

15 minutes ago, claffey said:

I think that the rights of children and the family should be protected by the state. Otherwise we could have people in their 20's or 30's popping into the euthanasia clinic to end it all just because of stress at work or financial difficulties. People need to fight to improve their lives and not give up so easily. It's about having those type of values and morals in our society...

PS. I am not religious but feel that life should be protected by the state and its laws. Otherwise the fabric of society will fail completely. People cannot be trusted to make correct decisions so the state should do it for them, in certain cases...

I have neither suggested you are religious nor do I care. I maintain it is simply not your business whatever your reasons. It is not your life, not your family, and not your problem.

Quite frankly, culling the herd of those who cannot face reality may not be such a bad idea.

The real issue here is nonsensical legislation; how do you enforce a law against suicide, if the suicide is successful?

Sure, there may be better ways to end your life than jumping off a roof--just think of the mess that has to be cleaned or the possibility of harming others.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, smotherb said:

That statement is not true and quite frankly based in ignorance. Not all Americans are religious and in California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Oregon, Vermont and Washington physician-assisted suicide is legal. Montana has a court case pending its legality and several states have no law against suicide.

People who want to commit suicide simply do it. Even in a state where suicide is illegal, the law is ridiculous when suicide is successful, what is the penalty?

I just looked up the WIKI facts about 70% combine that with what I have seen and stuff i have heard come out of the mouth of the likes of GW Bush about crusades ids say there are quite a bit or religious fanatics. Combine that with the murders of abortion doctors id say they are quite fanatical over there. Of course that is not everyone, but its quite a large portion. 

The punishment of suicide.. quite simple they will put you in jail :smile:

What i read about America was that it was not legal, however if you say it is I will accept that as your obviously better informed. What i read about US was that they would withhold medicine or let you die from dehydration and stuff but not actively kill you. Like inject you with something to die but just things you need like switching of the ventilator and let you suffocate instead of injecting you with something to kill you. 

That was what I had read. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

if euthanasia was legal there would have been no need for that.  Thing is.. your trying to force your opinion on others.. forbidding others freedom to die. Who are you to decide that, it should be up to the persons themselves. 

If you are thinking that people who commit euthanasia do so without consulting of their families and in general their families support them being in pain is not fun at all. They understand that and want their family member to be out of pain and pass on. But in the end its the choice of the person in that position. 

I am appalled by people who force others to live because it offends their religion. How about you just don't do it yourself but let others be who want to use the option. 

Agree with you 1000%

People should be allowed to choose when and how they die.   

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

Agree with you 1000%

People should be allowed to choose when and how they die.   

When - yes.  How - no.

Nobody has a right to effect other people's lives through they way they choose to end their own. 

28 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, but I do wonder, if (heaven forbid) one was to make it back to the UK and present yourself at a hospital, homeless and in the final stages of some terminal disease, they would leave you to die in distress in the bus shelter outside?

If they did treat an expat they would look for payment at 150% of the costs......

Edited by DD13
Amendments

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

When - yes.  How - no.

Nobody has a right to effect other people's lives through they way they choose to end their own. 

I take it your talking about people who blow themselves up among others...

I think people should be allowed to die when and how (as long as they don't physically harm others)

3 hours ago, claffey said:

I am not a fanatical Christian but I find your comments disturbing. Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too... As for jumping from a high building. Wouldn't it be easier and less gruesome to take an overdose of something...A cowards way out...

Not your business to be self-righteous and decide for others... you don't like euthanasia?  then don't do it

Don't preach to others and I firmly believe it is someone's right to end their days with grace without having to jump from buildings.

I think suicide is actually a brave way to end your life, it takes a lot of courage to end your existence. And it's purely up to the individual if they feel life is no longer worth living. But I would certainly choose a way with less risk of hurting someone else than jumping. Shame to end this way.

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There is nothing new to this - has been going as long as foreigners been coming here, spending the last of their money or/and catching serious disease.

Have come across fellows that even sold their passports to stay in 'paradise' a few weeks more. Many of them simply don't want to go back to their grey lives back home - others catch serious infections like HIV and see no hope.

1 minute ago, Classic Ray said:

I think suicide is actually a brave way to end your life, it takes a lot of courage to end your existence. And it's purely up to the individual if they feel life is no longer worth living. But I would certainly choose a way with less risk of hurting someone else than jumping. Shame to end this way.

Bravery is not giving up and taking care of your family.. Suicide is selfish and cowardly..

JAG,

We are talking here about a personal choice that does not affect anyone else (ending your life) Why should it be prohibited by total strangers because of what is in their religion ?. The things we are often debating about where you have totally opposite views are things that do touch other people. In my book that is totally different. I have often agreed that you and I see things different and agree to disagree. Political debates are totally different. 

Now tell me what are your view on this matter.. instead of attacking me enlighten me. 

I'm a Catholic. I believe it is wrong to take a life, whether your own or another person.

As for forcing my views on others, I make no secret of my views, but do not seek to bind others. With out going into the theology of it , Almighty God gave man free will.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I just looked up the WIKI facts about 70% combine that with what I have seen and stuff i have heard come out of the mouth of the likes of GW Bush about crusades ids say there are quite a bit or religious fanatics. Combine that with the murders of abortion doctors id say they are quite fanatical over there. Of course that is not everyone, but its quite a large portion. 

The punishment of suicide.. quite simple they will put you in jail :smile:

What i read about America was that it was not legal, however if you say it is I will accept that as your obviously better informed. What i read about US was that they would withhold medicine or let you die from dehydration and stuff but not actively kill you. Like inject you with something to die but just things you need like switching of the ventilator and let you suffocate instead of injecting you with something to kill you. 

That was what I had read. 

You do not have to take my word for it; research it. Not only is suicide not illegal in several states and legal in others, as I suggested, it seems to make little difference even in the states where it is illegal; Americans just commit suicide.

I doubt they will put the corpse in jail if the suicide is successful. Maybe the punishment should be the death penalty for a failed suicide attempt.

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'm a Catholic. I believe it is wrong to take a life, whether your own or another person.

As for forcing my views on others, I make no secret of my views, but do not seek to bind others. With out going into the theology of it , Almighty God gave man free will.

As long as you don't force your views on others, I have no problem at all with them. I don't have a problem with Christians, Muslims ect per se.. No problem with them leading their life practicing what they believe in as long as they don't force me to do the same. (of course on things that do affect then I can understand that totally like stealing, killing ect)

Just curious.. I thought you were in the army (at one point) i might have been mistaken but would be hard to do if you can't take a life (unless your a medic).  

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Very sad.

There must be a less dramatic, and messy,  way of ending one's life when health is a major factor.

Yes, can anyone tell me where I can buy a small cylinder of helium, complete with tap and tube? I'm told it's a good standby in case it all gets too much, but the last time I tried to order one online the source wanted to send me to a monstrous cylinder by tanker from China in a special container that cost a fortune. Apart from ay other consideration, I could imagine what it might cost to wrest it from the rapacious clutches of Thai customs.

That Swiss clinic that charges 18,000 quid to put you painlessly to sleep are there in this hi-tech age any affordable and reasonably pleasant ways to end it all with the minimum of pain and embarrassment to anyone else, particularly loved ones? I'm told a charcoal burner in the bedroom will do the truck, by my boudoir is already too bloody hot, even with the aircon going full blast!

6 hours ago, namoi said:

Rip, sad way to escape your health problems, hope the family can understand

A recent survey among healthcare professionals found that almost ALL health problems are caused by a drug deficiency. A pity that the man had not found the right doctor to discuss his needs.

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You do not have to take my word for it; research it. Not only is suicide not illegal in several states and legal in others, as I suggested, it seems to make little difference even in the states where it is illegal; Americans just commit suicide.

I doubt they will put the corpse in jail if the suicide is successful. Maybe the punishment should be the death penalty for a failed suicide attempt.

I just read up on it your right its legal in certain states, my bad. Mea culpa. The last i read about it was a while back. Seems that there are 6 states where its legal out of quite a lot more. So that was probably why i was mistaken. But I was wrong I admit it.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder if he just had health problems, or financial problems related to health care costs?  

And which of them drove him to take his own life.

Maybe the shock that all farangs Wanting to holiday must have  insurance or no entry . The problem is at a certain age  u cant get health insurance or travel insurance  more than the price of plane ticket ? I wounder how all the expats r going to find extra loot to pay soon , we are not quality tourist according to TAT ! only Chinese 90 days medical visa probably just get a jab of penicillin in you come , 5 5 5 who knows with this crazy military  gov not elected,  just took over ! after all they are quality tourist top of  TAT list  not the thais they know they spend no money in thailand all booked and paid for in home country  ! like the lndians just sip 1 beer x 3 straws for 3 friends for 2 hours share a drink and google eye the girl's " ask them what they think who is quality & who is not " locals think of them the so called quality tourist off to family mart or 7/11 for a drink quality tourisim so no problem there ok ! Racist jaunta Amazing thailand . 

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Total numbers of suicides are not released to the public in western countries (in my case: Belgium) nor do they appear in the press because police and government are afraid of "the copycat effect"

But be assured that (in Belgium) the numbers per capita are as high as in Thailand.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder if he just had health problems, or financial problems related to health care costs?  

And which of them drove him to take his own life.

Agreed. To put family members through this I hope he had a damn good reason. 

4 hours ago, claffey said:

Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too... As for jumping from a high building. Wouldn't it be easier and less gruesome to take an overdose of something...A cowards way out...

People with zero empathy make me puke. Your life-is-precious blurb means nothing for those who live in abject agony, and loves ones of those who have gone the euthanised route often feel great relief that their father/mother/etc are no longer suffering. It takes a massive pair to do what this man has done; he was no coward. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be all fine-&-dandy-everything-is-awesome-lucky-in-life as some and those condescending so & sos need to look past their very narrow view of the world. :bah:

4 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Don't these aholes understand that there are people walking below who they could land on?

also, what about kids who maybe around to see them splat?

Yes - this happened to a patient of mine when she was thirteen - chap jumped from the bridge and splattered on the ground in front of her.  If she had been one step ahead of where she was she would have been seriously injured or dead.

Months of counselling needed for a child who was from avery disturbed and chaotic family.

so sad when people do this.

Thoughts to the family - must be dreadful hearing about this.

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would wager most of them also suffer from depression.

It's easy for expats here to get isolated and sink further down the black hole of depression. Alcohol abuse just fuels the fire.

Did he pay the Bill ?

Was he alone? 

What was he doing in Thailand? 

Any TGF ?

Was he financially sound?

What really prompted him to jump from that particular place where he could have committed suicide peacefully at home?

RIP

It may stun you but not everyone needs a mobile phone and/or and credit cards to have a full life.

Although apparently he had health problems, a mobile phone and  credit cards are not needed for a good life, no matter what you may think.

I would and will still hang on to life even at my 70 years of age, but that is a personal choice.

He apparently thought differently.

RIP

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

May he Rest In Peace.

I can relate to why a man would do this for medical reasons.  have been having an emotional fight with this same thing for the past while. 

My bladder quit and I catheter every day and have constant pain that the doctors do not know why. Sometimes it makes it impossible to get around. My life is spent cherishing moments of no pain. Then today I think I had a mini stroke. I got out of bed could not use my leg arm or hand,had no control of the hand or arm. I felt dizzy and disorientated. took about an hour to feel normal. Ending it is present in my mind constantly.Today gave me great concern and made me realize I have to decide soon or I may have a stroke and be unable to do anything and be at the mercy of the medical field.

So I wish to ask robblok if non citizens of Belgium can go there and be euthanised?

Hi there LLS, despite we're on opposite sides of many issues, sad to hear of your health problems. Must be really hard to cope and kudos for the strength you've displayed (shows you still got it!)  Luckily my health is ok except a back injury battle which has really opened my eyes. INFLAMMATION is becoming known as 'the' biggest health factor in everything from cancer to heart disease. CUMIN it turns out is a 'super' natural anti-inflammatory and has also really helped with my back injury recovery. You might give it a try and see if it can reduce inflammation which compounds so many other health issues - find it in most larger local Pharmacies/Chemists.

'KAMIN' is the name in Thai, the one with pepperine is best as it increases bioavailibility:
http://www.ouayun.com/en/index.php/2012-07-24-08-10-28/2012-07-16-02-52-48/item/kaminchan-plus-capsule

Some more info:
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/curcumin-vs-cumin-10292.html

Also, for ANYONE having issues with depression, or lack of sleep (also over-eating, or if trying to quit drinking or smoking) HIGHLY recommend natural 5 HTP. It's an absolute god-send (no pun intended Rob;) The immediate positive effects and difference are quite simply amazing. Have got it  locally here through 'buydeeorder' before, just email them in English, can pay by cc or bank, they also have EMS tracking. Recommend the Natrol 200 MG 5 HTP 'time release' variety as most effective.

5 HTP:
http://www.buydeeorder.com/store/product/5_HTP_ไฟว์_เอชทีพี-1696518-th.html

(might also find it at a specialty pharmacy/chemist but haven't come across it thus far so ordered online - can also order it via iherb.com but takes longer)

More info on 5-HTP:
https://bebrainfit.com/5-htp-benefits-side-effects/

Hope better days ahead for yourself lovelomsak and anyone reading thinking similar thoughts as in the OP!

Su-Su! Take care all

Edited by sujoop