Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I dont know how accurate this is but from what i heard ... allot of foreigners come here fall in love with the place wind up spending their life savings find out its not the paradise they thought it was and can't go home because their money is gone so they commit suicide. 

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

There must be a less dramatic, and messy,  way of ending one's life

And one that doesn't have the potential to cause harm, death or financial loss to others. Sorry that he felt he had to end it all, but this is a selfish, self-centered way to do it.

8 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Farangs and balconies don't mix! Only in Thailand and not elsewhere.

There has to be a better way to go! getting real close to the "opiate" family springs to mind!

There are over 800k suicides every year - a lot of desperate people out there!

The golden gate bridge has had over 1200 folks jump to their death from it alone, Thailand pales in significance! just when people do it so publicly it becomes news!

Sad! RIP, hope you are happier now???????????????

4 hours ago, claffey said:

I am not a fanatical Christian but I find your comments disturbing. Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too... As for jumping from a high building. Wouldn't it be easier and less gruesome to take an overdose of something...A cowards way out...

Every situation is different. In some cases it is the most humane option for the person suffering, and, for those loved ones and other significant others... In some cases there is nothing left that can ease the suffering. A slow painful death is not a dignified way to go.  Believe me, I've been in this situation, and if you love the person dying, you do all you can  (legally) to help them meet their maker..

YES, public suicide is selfish. 

8 minutes ago, speckio said:

I dont know how accurate this is but from what i heard ... allot of foreigners come here fall in love with the place wind up spending their life savings find out its not the paradise they thought it was and can't go home because their money is gone so they commit suicide. 

They don't go home coz they have nothing to go home to - and their life savings are often spent very rapidly on the wrong things.

Yes - there is a lot of tragedy going on in the expat community, mostly self inflicted.  Wouldn't know what went on in this particular case - and wouldn't like to speculate.

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There is pretty much a suicide epidemic in New Zealand, and most people would agree that it is vastly under reported... it's just a sign of the times. But hey, if life really is shit, then why not enjoy what remains in the best way possible. As for those suggesting there must be less messy ways... I don't know... I think for people who are serious about suicide, certainty is possibly quite important... it's just the way life and death is.. the reality is that we live in quite sick societies...

5 hours ago, claffey said:

I am not a fanatical Christian but I find your comments disturbing. Suicide or Euthanasia or whatever you want to call it is a cowards way out. If you have no family or responsibility then OK. But if you are leaving behind wives, children and other family then you are a coward. I also believe euthanasia should be illegal as life is precious as is the life of your family. By doing this you are destroying their lives too... As for jumping from a high building. Wouldn't it be easier and less gruesome to take an overdose of something...A cowards way out...

I once believed as you did that people should tough it up for others and themselves. But then I saw my grandmother live in constant head pain for three years in a bed crying. The strongest drugs gave little to no relief. Pain so bad you want to die to get relief. I never want another person to have to endure that type of pain for so long.

That pain exists and I hope you never experience it. If you did you would understand that euthanasia is compassion not cowardly act. There comes a time when we all should be able to decide to live in pain or end our pain and life peacefully. 

What is so cowardly about this?  I am not brave enough to do it.  Japanese and others that commit suicide are sometimes war heros, hardly cowards.

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Very sad.

There must be a less dramatic, and messy,  way of ending one's life when health is a major factor.

Plus,  it's not very healthy.  It's a shame.  He's probably totally fine but some doctor told him he had to pay him all of his money to  "cure"  his cancer with radiation or poisonous chemotherapy.

Sure makes you think.  A similar age to many of us. Serious illness makes one depressed as well  I have a younger wife of over 10 years standing who I believe will definitely take care of me if we are together when the time comes.  If he had limited money to pay for treatment or care, nowhere to move back home to, and most importantly, no-one he could rely on to look after him here when things got difficult in a few weeks or months time, there would be definite incentives to finish it on his own terms.  In some circumstances such as the above or other possibilities his options may have been very limited. Another point is that possibly he would be denied medical treatment if he went "home" as many countries, including the U.K. are apparently now doing to ex-pats, (even if they still pay tax at home on their income & pension.)  Very sad but taking a lot of meds & going for a long swim might have been kinder on the locals.  

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder if he just had health problems, or financial problems related to health care costs?  

And which of them drove him to take his own life.

Didnt mention it in note,so pure speculation on your behalf

As long as you don't force your views on others, I have no problem at all with them. I don't have a problem with Christians, Muslims ect per se.. No problem with them leading their life practicing what they believe in as long as they don't force me to do the same. (of course on things that do affect then I can understand that totally like stealing, killing ect)

Just curious.. I thought you were in the army (at one point) i might have been mistaken but would be hard to do if you can't take a life (unless your a medic).  

I was for many years. There are Catholic teachings on the subject of "The Just War", which are reflected in "The Hague Convention". It is complex theology, which I can't/won't debate . I'm busy this evening but will drop you a pm in due course to explain my position.

32 minutes ago, nasanews said:

I wonder if his medical problem was cancer, even though no body has the right to end his life.

I feel sorry for his family.

Utter arrogance and projection.

Go Andrew Frank Browning, fly like a stone, last imposition for bothering people who have to  clean up your mess.

Alternatively you could have faced your demons like the rest of us. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe your right, but fact remains that without the Christians and their view people would be free to end it. Now in the USA ending your life is easy (i mean with so many guns around). Still I feel that some pil would be more merciful. People should be free to make their own choices (if sound of mind). 

I agree that big pharma would lose out if people could do euthanasia so its reasonable to suspect they lobby against it. 

Big pharma will have a new market in euthenadia products as a replacement... they wont make it cheap

What a crock.You discuss it with your family first.I think it is a brave person who

plans his own death.Whould you rather watch you mother srivell up and die of alzemeiers,starved to death acually,becaused i refused to let them put a feeding tube to her stomach to extend her empty life.This is what she wanted and i was happy for her.

My sister and i recieved a payout on her will,which she also wanted,better than spending money on a vegtable in a nursing home.Thanks Mum and Dad.

Everybody as always comment everything with sad and RIP, and what more we can come up with to sound more better than the last poster.

The question is why so many have to come to Thailand to take their lives by jumping? Are the balconys to low in their home countries?

Why does everybody need to jump and make a mess for other people to clean up? Show some respect and take an overdose sleeping pills. Just imagine walking with your parents being five years old hearing a thud, and watching as a pool of blood colors the street.

At last why does so many people from Britain come to Thailand to either get in problem, do unlawful acts or end up dead in one way or another? Is there an unknown genetic function that sience missed after all?

Edited by Get Real

16 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Go Andrew Frank Browning, fly like a stone, last imposition for bothering people who have to  clean up your mess.

Alternatively you could have faced your demons like the rest of us. 

His life,to do what he wants with.Could have been a bit cleaner,but who is thinking at such a moment.

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

So why say it at all,if not just throwing it out there.

Every once in a while, somebody that's tuned in has another link with more details, or knows more than is reported in these threads.  

Ya don't ask, ya never know...

And I really like the idea of learning from other people's experiences, so I don't have to take the knocks all on my own. I'm just not that tough.

Poor tourists who were unfortunate to be in the area (as well as expats and Thai people), they came here for a holiday and not see some dude jumping to his death and splattering all over the pavement. Which hotel was it in Sukhumvit? Looks like it's might be the big one opposite Sukhumvit 5 from the pic.

Edited by bbi1

8 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Everybody as always comment everything with sad and RIP, and what more we can come up with to sound more better than the last poster.

The question is why so many have to come to Thailand to take their lives by jumping? Are the balconys to low in their home countries?

Why does everybody need to jump and make a mess for other people to clean up? Show some respect and take an overdose sleeping pills. Just imagine walking with your parents being five years old hearing a thud, and watching as a pool of blood colors the street.

Have no idea why Thailand has lots of peeps wanting to jump off balconies to their death. Never really heard of peeps jumping off balconies to die in my home country.