Jomtien Tree Slaughter

Lumbini

Yesterday they cut possibly the biggest and most beautiful trees completely down on Jomtien beach I really have no words for how sad this is as these trees were magnificent ( right on beach where police station is ) . Again and again beautiful trees are cut down on the beach and then what looks like palm tree farms are planted in fake looking rows too close together . As I see this with those towering prison lights all along the beach that have ruined the vibe and ambience at night it's like I am watching the same horror I witnessed as Pattaya beach was ruined years ago . The masses of wild homeless dogs still are everywhere just like all the trash everywhere but the effort seems to be focused on butchering old beautiful trees so they can quickly turn what was a beautiful part of Thailand into a low class haven for Chinese and Russian tour packages . I go out to run and come back sick from seeing beautiful trees butchered and homeless dogs chasing me and motorcycles on sidewalks going the wrong way dodging the hanging wires and holes in the concrete like I do when I go out for runs with trash everywhere . It's time to find new beach but I suspect any nice beach in this country is well on the way of getting ruined as the Thai's chase the money and trash their country in a massive sell out . Jomtien was so beautiful but each day it's best attributes get chipped away and looks more like the train wreck that Pattaya became . Am I being too negative or is this part of Thailand ( Jomtien ) getting trashed with changes that seem hard to believe the residents are letting happen [emoji20]

To put this 'paradise lost' in some sort of perspective, from The Age, Melbourne on Monday, November 9, 1981.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has released the name of an Australian shot dead after a robbery in Thailand. He was Andrew William Arthy, 24, formerly of Burrum Heads, near Maryborough, Queensland. He was killed in the Thai seaside resort of Pattaya, south of Bangkok, on 31 October 1981.

Andy, who I was working with in the China oil patch at the time, was on leave rotation and in Pattaya on my recommendation. I think it was his second or third trip. He and his lady friend rented a motorbike and went 'over the hill' to Jomtien. Back then, there was no paved road much beyond Soi 5 and they were apparently stalked and robbed at gunpoint. Andy was shot when he refused to give them the motorbike.

They have been putting lipstick on the Pattaya-Jomtien pig for well over 36 years.

RIP trees Andy.

Thats sad to hear .I used own a Condo in Jomtien Beach Condominium .Even when i left though 8 years ago the place had already lost any tranquility ,especially at Weekends .To butcher the trees is madness . 

As I see this with those towering prison lights all along the beach that have ruined the vibe and ambience at night 

Awful awful lights.....Major vibe killers...

I wont even start on the trees... 

Some one needs to post pictures of the latest tree massacre onto the Pattaya watchdog facebook page ( I don't have a facebook account )

www.facebook.com/PattayaWatchdog/      there was quite a revolt about the tree cutting  while they where doing the  promenade and the council promised to stop but I believe there is a new set of councillors in city hall !

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

As I see this with those towering prison lights all along the beach that have ruined the vibe and ambience at night 

Awful awful lights.....Major vibe killers...

I wont even start on the trees... 

The tree felling has always been excused by the RTP claiming the foliage obscures the CCTV cameras that are an essential element of crime detection and prevention.

You are accordingly excused while you hold your sides laughing over that gem.

Archived