Mother taking her child back

cooked

I couldn’t think of a better title for this post, please stay with me.

My wife’s grandson while in the army started to live with a lady who later turned out to be of a rather dubious character, I could go into details but suffice it to say that she is dishonest and lazy. She also has AIDS and can have no longer have children.

The father had been doing his best to earn money to keep her home but she decided to go off back to Chiang Rai taking the child with her.

When the child became inconvenient as she was going around the bars looking for a rich Farang, we got the child back through the intervention of a monk and we have been watching him grow. He is a joyful and with intelligent child and is loved by the family, comes to our house as much as he can to play, just started temple school.

So yesterday the mother telephoned (first time in two years) to tell us that she had found a rich Thai husband, who is willing to pay ฿200 000.- dowry, he must be a real dog. She took care to mention that he is covered with tattoos. She wants the child back, the husband will be putting him into a boarding school (at the age of three), which doesn’t exactly fill me with hope for the future of the child.

I’m guessing this is an attempt to extract money from us (no problem, I don’t have any).

My wife (great grand mother) says that in Thailand, the son goes to the daughter in these cases. I don’t agree. The grandmother and grandfather look suicidal at the moment. The father is working in Chonburi and going crazy.

As I see it, we have the possibility of:

just refusing to give the child over and see what happens.

Try using rational arguments (not going to work)

going to court for custody, which could be expensive.

murder would be rather messy.

Where do I go from here?

26 minutes ago, claffey said:

The child should be returned to the mother. Its tragic but its her daughter.. I can't see how grandparents would be awarded custody...

You didn't read the post properly....the child won't be going back to be with his mother....he will be going straight to boarding school to be with strangers.

Also the daughter is a son.....lol

HL

What's going to happen, if you refuse to give him to her?

try using rational arguments to get him (not going to work)

going to court, which would be too expensive

murder would be rather messy

She will lose all her interrest as soon as money for his care are mentioned. And there will be no talking about money, which she will recive to leave him with you.

Thanks for the comments, there doesn't seem much information coming in. (Thanks happy Larry, your wife is great). It is the father that is applying for custody, not us.

We went to the family courts two days ago, found a lawyer that claimed that if we put in an application to the courts for custody at the same time submitting a declaration form the father that he is in fact the father (legitimation), and if we happened to get the application in before the mother did any such thing, we had a chance. ฿16 000.-. The father had to travel up from Chonburi overnight, much disruption is being caused here. He will have to come again for the hearing and his boss apparently doesn't like that at all.

If the mother contests she will have to pay for a DNA test and lawyer's fees.

So depending on the judge and how the case is presented, we have at least gained a delay, and should at least  be able to negotiate right of access. On the minus side, our contesting will give rise to further animosity and non-cooperation, but it couldn't get much worse anyway.

Archived