What is going on with the Thai baht ?

7 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Cheap labour never fails.Lucky they didnt have to invent them. Anyway id sooner go Walkabout with A fistfull of USemoji383.pngand GBP than something that the folks ask "what the .... are these things n dont have exchange rates.?emoji383.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bit like the Scottish notes. 

Have been to a good few countries for holidays taken Thai Bht never had any problems exchanging them.

Edited by jeab1980

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

WD and Seagate are Thai companies now?

YES, they are! the company that produces Seagate harddrives in Thailand is Seagate Technology Thailand Limited

and the company that produces WD drives in Thailand is Western Digital Company Thailand Limited.

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

I meant in reality, not just to make use of Thailand's cheap, barely skilled labour.

both companies are not a fiction and are real Thai companies. and if you think it only take barely skilled labour to assemble a harddrive i suggest you open an old one and check its components. the read/write head has to float above the turning platter without touching it at a distance of 2-4 nanometers (i.e. ~3 billionth of a meter!) and it has to move most of the time similar distances sideways in nanoseconds to write or write data.

this lesson sent by my Commodore 64 is free of charge  :smile:

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

both companies are not a fiction and are real Thai companies. and if you think it only take barely skilled labour to assemble a harddrive i suggest you open an old one and check its components. the read/write head has to float above the turning platter without touching it at a distance of 2-4 nanometers (i.e. ~3 billionth of a meter!) and it has to move most of the time similar distances sideways in nanoseconds to write or write data.

this lesson sent by my Commodore 64 is free of charge  :smile:

An IBM engineer once described this as being equivalent to flying a Boeing 747 one millimeter above the ground.

this lesson sent by my Commodore 64 is free of charge  [emoji2]
I know exactly how unskilled the bulk the labour are there.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

No worries looked history before retire here l can still be OK at 15 baht to £ at this moment..

as long as 1 kilo equals 2 metric pounds i'm OK even if 1 Pound buys just 1 Baht :crazy:

11 hours ago, speedtripler said:

As long as a Litre equals two imperial pints I'll be OK even if a pound only buys 0.1 thb lol 

pubs which serve one liter of beer and claim it equals two pints are cheating! :ermm:

On 23/08/2017 at 1:13 PM, Naam said:

YES, they are! the company that produces Seagate harddrives in Thailand is Seagate Technology Thailand Limited

and the company that produces WD drives in Thailand is Western Digital Company Thailand Limited.

Shame they make outdated low sized hard drives that's will be obselete within the next year or two and have failed to invest anything in R&D, they just bought the old tech, they dont develop anything, utterly useless.

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

That was my link to Bangkok post soz.

The link pointed out that every Asian currency has gone down because of the nuclear threat from N Korea.......except the thai baht which has gone up ...? Work that one out because I can't . 

Edited by goldenbrwn1

On 8/28/2017 at 8:19 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Shame they make outdated low sized hard drives that's will be obselete within the next year or two and have failed to invest anything in R&D, they just bought the old tech, they dont develop anything, utterly useless.

the shareholders of Western Digital who doubled their investment within the last year think some people spread utterly useless drivel. and the shareholders of Seagate are quite happy with an 8.06% dividend yield.

:coffee1:

WDC.JPG

Edited by Naam

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

the shareholders of Western Digital who doubled their investment within the last year think some people spread utterly useless drivel. and the shareholders of Seagate are quite happy with an 8.06% dividend yield.

:coffee1:

WDC.JPG

Hillarious, you think you can predict the long term by the very recent gains, they just invested 15 billion baht and increase sales by 45%, but what they did not do was invest in r&d, do you know what that means?  That means that Malaysia and other competitors who have thought to invest in r&d and are already producing SSD's will continue to make sales into the future while these companies producing HDD's will see business dry up pretty soon when HDD's become an obsolete technology, it really is not far away.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Hillarious, you think you can predict the long term by the very recent gains, they just invested 15 billion baht and increase sales by 45%, but what they did not do was invest in r&d, do you know what that means?  That means that Malaysia and other competitors who have thought to invest in r&d and are already producing SSD's will continue to make sales into the future while these companies producing HDD's will see business dry up pretty soon when HDD's become an obsolete technology, it really is not far away.

why don't you offer your consultancy services to these companies?

3 hours ago, Naam said:

who or what is a "Soz" Dollar?

Soz is an abbreviation for sorry.  Soz for my terrible punctuation. Yes against the dollar, all Asian currencies went down after the N Korean missile test  ..... except the almighty Thai Baht ..? 

The Thai baht is the topic here right?

Edited by goldenbrwn1

15 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

In that case I'll have a yard of ale.

A yard of ale or yard glass is a very tall beer glass used for drinking around 2 1⁄2 imperial pints (1.4 L) of beer, depending upon the diameter.

The glass is approximately 1 yard (90 cm) long, shaped with a bulb at the bottom, and a widening shaft, which constitutes most of the height.

I used to have a yard glass in a different life, though somewhere I have a half yard glass in a box, cupboard whatever.