A welding query.

Goanna

These guys building our car port, have cobbled my inverter welder to their own machine, and running two hand pieces. Bugger me. Never seen this before, and I am a boilermaker by trade. Any derogoratory comments, just don't please.

20170607_161545.jpg

Nah, no issue using a single common point.

The guys doing our roof had two, often three welders in action all commoned to a single bit of re-bar poking out at ground level.

Are both machines running of a single outlet?

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Nah, no issue using a single common point.

The guys doing our roof had two, often three welders in action all commoned to a single bit of re-bar poking out at ground level.

Are both machines running of a single outlet?

No. The inverter is in a gpo, and the other is joined directly to the power up on the pole. My side of the meter. I see now, that is just the same as being earth on the same job. The earth clamped directly onto the terminal had me tricked. Cheers.

18 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Is that safe joining an inverter and an arc like that.  I know 2 arcs can be put in parallel to bump up the amps, but i see the inverter earth is connected to the arc live.

In this instance they are not running them in series, just connecting to the common (metal ground) point.

I'm guessing the arc welder is running EN (Electrode Negative), so the positive terminal is clamped to common.

Electrons return to the transformer they originated from. Just have to hope they don't overwhelm the common cable.

Good point Jdietz. Electrons do not care in a closed loop parallel system. They have a common return and go where needed. If you give them a path of least resistance to go to than the system, they will go. Never will return home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Archived