Frenchman found dead as plane lands in Bangkok

webfact

Frenchman found dead as plane lands in Bangkok
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A 65-year-old French tourist was found dead on board an Air France passenger aircraft as it landed at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport on Thursday morning.

The Ratburina emergency-radio centre was alerted at 9.17am about the fatality.

Authorities were informed that a cabin attendant on Flight AF-0166 from Paris found the passenger dead as the aircraft was preparing to land. The man, whose name was not released, was travelling with a friend.

The body was taken to Bangplee Hospital and then Police General Hospital for autopsy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30317527

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-08

I wonder if Air France will honor his return ticket and return his body to France, assuming he had one.   Actually, very doubtful since preparing and ..uh..packaging a body for flight is quite expensive.

Knowing France, a bureaucratic nightmare awaits his survivors. 

23 minutes ago, dddave said:

I wonder if Air France will honor his return ticket and return his body to France, assuming he had one.   Actually, very doubtful since preparing and ..uh..packaging a body for flight is quite expensive.

No travel insurance?

DVT >>> ???

Of course, the cause of death in this case is unknown.. However, DVT is massively underestimated and people are for the most part hugely unaware of the risks....

It is surprising how common and how under-reported Deep Vein Thrombosis is.

DVT can often lead to a heart attack (when the clot plugs up the pulmonary artery), or a stroke if the clot travels into the brain or a Pulmonary Emobilism as the clot passes into the lungs. 

With a Pulmonary Embolism it is reported that 1/3rd of sufferers die painlessly within 90 seconds. 

It doesn't take much for a clot to develop on someone sitting still for a lengthy period of time especially when combined with other risk factors (blood pressure, genetic susceptibility etc)... 

Common sense mitigation factors are:

1) Flight Socks (or stockings) or even just the Calf Skins.

2) Baby aspirin daily.

3) Do those 'flight exercises' you see on the screen

4) For those at higher risk: Upon advice of a Dr. - Heparin injections before a long haul flight.

Edited by richard_smith237

Possibly a victim of thrombosis, a real hazard for long-haul passengers - particularly the elderly.  It pays to put on a pair of the special elasticated socks you can buy at airports to minimise the risk of blood clots in the legs. Being an old timer with hypertension problems, I make sure I get up every hour or two and walk up and down the aisles (though some airlines are starting to insist on people staying in their seats at all times with seat-belt loosely fastened in case of turbulence. 

Considering that some non-stop flights take more than an entire day to complete, and the huge numbers that the latest jumbo jetliners carry, it seems unacceptable to me that airlines get away without ensuring that basic lifesaving equipment and a steward with paramedic training is on board for every long-haul journey. Personally, I would be prepared to pay a little more for peace of mind.

It is a tragedy if this Frenchman's life could have been saved by such elementary precautions.

3 hours ago, dddave said:

I used to work for airline at airport yes, you have to dismantle the seats for the coffin to fit in, you can't put it in the cargo hold. Maybe it if it is cremated it would be ideal. Just a small pot to sit in the cargo hold.

Time for whole family to visit Thailand and at same time perform the last rite. Everybody happy I supposed.

3 minutes ago, madusa said:

I used to work for airline at airport yes, you have to dismantle the seats for the coffin to fit in, you can't put it in the cargo hold. 

Really?  Never seen a coffin in business class.  Do they really put coffins in economy?  

5 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Really?  Never seen a coffin in business class.  Do they really put coffins in economy?  

Maybe they don't do it now, back in 1970s , when the coffin was put in the small aircraft (sitting capacity about 45 persons) The aircraft was dutch built - called Fokker Friendship.

If you work for the Traffic at airport you learn how to anchor the coffin down so it doesn't move when the aircraft takes off. (of course the coffin is covered in such a way you don't know it is a coffin- probably until an air crash happened and you have the corpse lying on the top of you. You wonder where did it come from?

3 minutes ago, madusa said:

Maybe they don't do it now, back in 1970s , when the coffin was put in the small aircraft (sitting capacity about 45 persons) The aircraft was dutch built - called Fokker Friendship.

If you work for the Traffic at airport you learn how to anchor the coffin down so it doesn't move when the aircraft takes off. (of course the coffin is covered in such a way you don't know it is a coffin- probably until an air crash happened and you have the corpse lying on the top of you. You wonder where did it come from?

It wouldn't surprise me if they did stow coffins in economy (covered in such a way you don't know it's a coffin).  Some of the economy passengers could be confused with the deceased, I suppose.

Couldn't they just attach the coffin to the tail wing and be done with it?

5 minutes ago, snooky said:

Hmmm  seems to me I have seen many videos of coffins removed from cargo hold for a military burial at small cemeteries.  Maybe wrong!!

Military aircraft they put them in cargo hold. But today the big commercial aircraft have big cargo hold so they put it there. Small aircraft they took the seats off so they can tie it down and cover with something.

5 minutes ago, snooky said:

Hmmm  seems to me I have seen many videos of coffins removed from cargo hold for a military burial at small cemeteries.  Maybe wrong!!

22 minutes ago, madusa said:

I used to work for airline at airport yes, you have to dismantle the seats for the coffin to fit in, you can't put it in the cargo hold.

no fairy tales please! :sick: