Shock UK exit poll suggests Britain's May fails to win majority

webfact

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Creepy George Osborne is telling everyone that she is a " dead woman walking" and barely able to disguise his obvious glee about it. Sure, she miscalculated on some policy issues ( and took some very poor advice) but overall she has done a good job and is entitled to continue on. It would be quite dangerous to change horses now and she has shown she is up to the job.

With a bit of softening over Brexit to come, she can recover from this and be a good and effective PM

Just as Maggie Thatcher hung herself with the Poll Tax, Theresa May hung herself with the Dementia Tax. Hanging in the air with both legs swinging.

4 hours ago, citybiker said:

Unfortunately, probably unintentional however the 2nd part of your post has a flaw to it, there was a debate, airing and exchange in both houses prior to A50 being invoked.

Also in the early days & even now the Brexit strategy 'shouldn't' be publicly shared, in the public domain OR within the HoP. Reason:

Too many Whitehall leaks, EU obtains them from a disgruntled CS or other source and the UK loses momentum & negotiations advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brexit strategy there never has been one. Cameron never had one for obvious reasons and the look on Boris's face the day after the referendum when he appeared at that news conference indicated that he certainly had no Brexit strategy. Farage initially wittered on about Norway and Switzerland but in between pints someone must have told him about the arrangements they have with the EU because he suddenly stopped talking about them. May has fluctuated between hard Brexit and no deal and having sought a mandate got egg all over her face. The only Brexit strategy left standing is <deleted> do we do now.

5 hours ago, AlexRich said:

If the referendum was today the vote would be to stay in the EU ...

Remainers have been confidently telling themselves that for a long time.

Who knows, they may be correct. The latest election results certainly do add weight to that argument. Unfortunately though, only another referendum would conclusively prove one way or the other what the general public's opinion is on Brexit.

Whether remainers are correct or not in their assertion, it strikes me as being a bit strange for those particular people to be holding up a referendum result (not a real one you understand, just an imagined one that is in their head) as being somehow so definitive and important... not when considering how little meaning and importance they placed on an actual referendum result.

No doubt applying that extra little clause to the democratic process of referendums: "results only count when they go my way... when they don't, they should be ignored as the silly people voting obviously a] weren't as well informed as me b] were hoodwinked c] didn't know what they were voting for".

55 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'll bet TM wishes she was Macron! Smart, young, driven and widely supported!

What a strange comment, I'll wager she has never wished for that once, but let's be honest Boris has all those qualities.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I'll bet TM wishes she was Macron! Smart, young, driven and widely supported!

What....and married to his grandmother...sorry I meant school teacher 

15 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Restrictions on Freedom of Movement are possible, so soft Brexit is possible. EU legislation makes provision for minimum income requirements for residency. Westminster has simply chosen not to use these tools which are at its disposal.

Do those E.U restrictions that you mention,start at a proven income of £18,500 p.a.

as required by the U.K government, before they will issue a settlement visa to the spouses of British citizens?

The reason for this income requirement, is to prevent immigrants,and that's what other E.U. National are, from obtaining tax payers financed benefits.

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

... the 48%, the youth that didn't vote, business leaders, her own remain supporting MP's.

You talk about the House of Parliament working together ... I agree, all the views should have been heard and carefully considered before a brexit strategy was drawn up. That would have been the best way to unite the nation. That did not happen though, did it? You were not calling for that when it looked like May was heading for a landslide ... you couldn't give a fig about what other people wanted then. Now the 'snowflakes' and 'removers' are in the ascendency, and you folk don't like it ... suck it up and respect the "will of the people".

You talk about Uniting the nation, yet continue to emphasise the so called difference in the youth vote to that of the rest of the nation, similar to those who dwell on the so called lack of education of those that voted Brexit. This I find is the  most disturbing aspect of the Remoaners argument over the last year. And you wonder why the electorate voted as they did.

Edited by nontabury

9 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Creepy George Osborne is telling everyone that she is a " dead woman walking" and barely able to disguise his obvious glee about it. Sure, she miscalculated on some policy issues ( and took some very poor advice) but overall she has done a good job and is entitled to continue on. It would be quite dangerous to change horses now and she has shown she is up to the job.

With a bit of softening over Brexit to come, she can recover from this and be a good and effective PM

Nonsense.  She's alienated at least half of the Tory party and there is NO WAY she could ever win an election.  She will be out before the end of the year.  And good riddance to her!

13 minutes ago, nontabury said:

And you wonder why the electorate voted as they did.

I don't see the election as a failure like media.

As l said before l think it was brave of TM to call an election.

I think the result tells a different story & gives a bigger picture of the people.

SNP wanted stay EU & talked independence, N. Ireland wanted stay EU & the DUP won who will back the Tories. 

53 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Do those E.U restrictions that you mention,start at a proven income of £18,500 p.a.

as required by the U.K government, before they will issue a settlement visa to the spouses of British citizens?

The reason for this income requirement, is to prevent immigrants,and that's what other E.U. National are, from obtaining tax payers financed benefits.

EU Freedom of Movement allows governments to impose minimum income requirements for residency. UK chooses not to do it. I believe its €600/month in Spain.

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Boris is smart??  That's a stretch!

My remark was made with tongue in cheek, however having said that, Boris is highly intelligent, who may act the fool. People who are potential PMs are not stupid, he is well up the ladder of intelligence, which rung would you say you're on. :cheesy:

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

My remark was made with tongue in cheek, however having said that, Boris is highly intelligent, who may act the fool. People who are potential PMs are not stupid, he is well up the ladder of intelligence, which rung would you say you're on. :cheesy:

Agree IMO Boris is clever we need him to negotiate the EU get out with those clown EU leaders.

I bet Boris don't care about walking under ladders either.  :biggrin:

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Agree IMO Boris is clever we need him to negotiate the EU get out with those clown EU leaders.

I warmed to him when he said "all jihadists are <deleted>"

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Considering that the outcome will be toxic to Conservative politicians whether it's hard or soft, I can't imagine that Johnson will want to play any part in the negotiations.

Edited by ilostmypassword

38 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Considering that the outcome will be toxic to Conservative politicians whether it's hard or soft, I can't imagine that Johnson will want to play any part in the negotiations.

I have to say l'm no judge of people or ever cared much about politics but like Boris, don't always agree with what he says.

Personally l would think he would be a good in EU out negotiations just from the point he held on to his cards in the face of poles showing a win for stayers, pressure from all media and then came out that he was for Brexit unlike TM.

Interested in why you don't think he will play l kinda think he likes a game.  :biggrin:

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Just as Maggie Thatcher hung herself with the Poll Tax, Theresa May hung herself with the Dementia Tax. Hanging in the air with both legs swinging.

Yes, probably poor politics and failed to anticipate the scare campaign orchestrated by the media in respect of the "Dementia Tax"...that, in combination with Corbyn's fistful of cash, made it difficult. So it was poor timing, poorly articulated, and the thresholds needed increasing....but does anyone doubt that the model is wrong? Or should aged care costs simply go onto the never-never of deficits to burden future generations?

Mistakes, yes; hanging offence, no.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I'm glad it was tongue in cheek!  I think "buffoon" might be a more accurate adjective for Boris.  He's certainly misjudged his colleagues in the past and made some pretty basic mistakes in his not so meteoric rise to fulfill his ambition of being party leader/PM.  I just don't think he's the smartest Tory and definitely not on the top rung.  Michael Gove is smarter, but he's too evil to be party leader.  Ruth Davison is their best bet, but hopefully they won't be collectively smart enough to pick her when May goes.

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I have to say l'm no judge of people or ever cared much about politics but like Boris, don't always agree with what he says.

Personally l would think he would be a good in EU out negotiations just from the point he held on to his cards in the face of poles showing a win for stayers, pressure from all media and then came out that he was for Brexit unlike TM.

Interested in why you don't think he will play l kinda think he likes a game.  :biggrin:

Because the outcome will have to include freedom of movement. That will antagonize the hard care brexiteers. If he opts for a hard brexit, that will antagonize the soft brexiteers.  He can't win.

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

A bit nearer than Corbyn, although it has to be said, if he had to form a majority government, he would have no problems working with his many friends in Sinn Fein.

Sinn Fein are unlikely to be of much help if they continue to refuse to take their seats in parliament.  However, the DUP to their credit, have shown that it is possible to work with people you are opposed to for the greater benefit of all citizens.  Hopefully Corbyn will get the chance to show similar qualities. 

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm glad it was tongue in cheek!  I think "buffoon" might be a more accurate adjective for Boris.  He's certainly misjudged his colleagues in the past and made some pretty basic mistakes in his not so meteoric rise to fulfill his ambition of being party leader/PM.  I just don't think he's the smartest Tory and definitely not on the top rung.  Michael Gove is smarter, but he's too evil to be party leader.  Ruth Davison is their best bet, but hopefully they won't be collectively smart enough to pick her when May goes.

You missed the 'highly intelligent' off your "buffoon" but isn't this why we all love him. Michael Gove is off the smugometer at the moment and Ruth Davidson is some smart cookie, but her thoughts on Brexit are not in line with the nations thinking, but maybe to yours?

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

You missed the 'highly intelligent' off your "buffoon" but isn't this why we all love him. Michael Gove is off the smugometer at the moment and Ruth Davidson is some smart cookie, but her thoughts on Brexit are not in line with the nations thinking, but maybe to yours?

Yes, I'm a committed Remainer, but I guess I will have to settle for a soft Brexit.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, I'm a committed Remainer, but I guess I will have to settle for a soft Brexit.

Nobody knows what Brexit we will end up with, but if there is no agreement, it will be an hard brexit, even the EU have said this.