Trump still standing, but damaged by Comey's testimony

webfact

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unreported by La Resistance:

this was Trumps first full cabinet meeting.

Since Schumer is insisting on 30 hours of debate for each appointment it is taking much longer than past governments to fill senate confirmed positions. 

So you see, meeting makes sense in context. Glad to finally be here Mr Prez. Ready to work for America despite Dems trying to block us with parliamentary nonsense and fake investigations. 

Dems are bankrupt of ideas.Out of gas 
Reported often, everywhere. Also included in the reporting is the huge number of positions for which 45 has ignored and nominated no one.

12 minutes ago, stander said:

The President's legal team prepared to show a trail of leaks to The New York Times by former FBI Director Comey back to March.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/12/comey-admitted-single-trump-leak-but-were-there-others.html

Don't change the news for your own benefit. The story says "The President's legal team may be prepared to show a trail of leaks to The New York Times by former FBI Director Comey back to March."

Those 2 words make a big difference.

And if you read the whole story, it is clear this is just a story made up.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Quite a remarkable display of savvy. Does the word "bubble" mean anything to you?  How about Glass Steagall?  There's a saying  about stupidity meaning doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. Allowing banks and shadow banks to once again indulge in their previous behavior that led to the worst financial recession in almost 80 years would be the height of stupidity.

Yeah, and when in your world do you think it's going to burst.  You have to be the first that is an expert in everything. If I said black was black you would argue that it is white.  That was a recession, and did not lead to a depression and it came back twice as strong.  But you know all so who am I to argue.:wai:

Just now, Si Thea01 said:

Yeah, and when in your world do you think it's going to burst.  You have to be the first that is an expert in everything. If I said black was black you would argue that it is white.  That was a recession, and did not lead to a depression and it came back twice as strong.  But you know all so who am I to argue.:wai:

It came back twice as strong?  Does the mean Trump was lying when he said the economy was in disastrous shape? Where do you get your information from? Or are confusing the stock market with the actual economy?

As for when I think it's going to burst? Who knows?  If you play Russian roulette with one bullet and spin the barrel who knows when you're going to get lucky? And if you put 2 in you still won't know for sure. But it does get a lot more likely. And it's obvious that the economy is  more likely to face a major if there are no meaningful controls on the big banks and big shadow banks. Or do you think more subprime mortgage lending and lower capital requirement on banks are a good thing?

56 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

That was a recession, and did not lead to a depression and it came back twice as strong.  

Actually, recessions refer to the economy as a whole, not just the stock market. If your reference was actually to the American stock market, here are a couple of reasons why the market is so high...only one partially due to Trump:

"Part of the answer lies in bond yields. While the long-term rates dictated by the bond market remain as low as they are today, there is a limit on the jitters that will be felt elsewhere. Low yields make bonds an unattractive investment, encouraging investors to buy others." (Those "others" being stocks)

"US economic data look good. Unemployment is falling, consumer confidence is high, and leading indicators from so-called “soft” survey data suggest that optimism following the election of Donald Trump remains high, and will in due course translate into stronger economic activity. If the confidence in Mr. Trump and the economy proves justified, US assets can keep going."

(Both quotes are from The Financial Times.)

Before you attempt to assign low unemployment to Trump, I would point to the fact that it was Obama's record-setting 75 months of job growth that is to account for the current low rate of unemployment.

The hassle with optimism among investors concerning Donald Trump lies in the belief that he will cut taxes on business. However, Trump's tax plan is currently stalled in Congress with no consensus on when it will begin moving. Absent those tax cuts, there is a good chance that the enthusiasm with Mr. Trump will fade...and so will the stock market. It is likely that the contrarians are having a field day. The market is over-priced, the optimism is unwarranted, and the experts are sounding alarms about the economy, including Trump's protectionist talk and his plans to cut taxes while incurring massive spending on infrastructure. An inflated deficit will spell trouble for the economy.

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

He did reach a record high in the Gallup Poll today.  60 percent disapproval. So that's something.

Something......but irrelevant.

Many leaders' popularity drops when tough decisions are being made.

Nothing new here.

As an aside, it's great that we have a number of economists, contributing to TV, who can tell us where the US fiscal policy is going wrong.  The stock market has blossomed since Trump's election, and from 14,000 pre GFC to 21,000+ now, a large part attribitable to the confidence of the past few months.

Edited by F4UCorsair

11 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Something......but irrelevant.

Many leaders' popularity drops when tough decisions are being made.

Nothing new here.

As an aside, it's great that we have a number of economists, contributing to TV, who can tell us where the US fiscal policy is going wrong.  The stock market has blossomed since Trump's election, and from 14,000 pre GFC to 21,000+ now, a large part attribitable to the confidence of the past few months.

Geeeezzzz...are you trumpies ever honest about anything? While your figures are correct, the fact is that the DOW was sitting at 7949 when Obama took office. On November 7, 2016, it was at 18,259, a more than 10,000 point rise. Your attempt to credit Trump with a 7,000 point surge in the DOW is specious. I don't doubt that the market has continued to rise due to business and investor optimism over Trump, but I also expect that to be short-lived, primarily due to Trump's pathetic inability to get the first piece of substantial legislation off the ground. His health care, tax, and infrastructure policies are either languishing in Congress or awaiting his actual proposals, as is the case with infrastructure (likely to go anywhere due to an inability to pay for it without raising taxes, a move that will be shut down by the House Freedom Caucus). And just because you aren't able to knowledgeably discuss economics with any confidence, please don't think that there aren't those of us who can. The reason being that we aren't averse to learning something. Can't help it. It's a liberal thing (end of snark).

16 hours ago, pegman said:

Undecideds? You have got to be kidding. These same people who are entrenched Trump supporters are the same ones I hear in public denigrating a war hero like John Kerry over a draft avoider like W. Bush. That stuck with Trump even after his discussing comments on McCain's war record. This lack of character leaves little likelyhood of open mindedness required to be an undecided. On the other side there is just as much chance of anyone who is taking Trump at face value would ever change their thoughts on him. Please link you same response to the calls of Clinton being locked up. 

The undecided are the people that read the threads but never contribute because they don't want the abuse they would get if they aren't outright anti Trump.

The response of the Trump haters is exactly why, IMO, they don't bother to join in.

3 hours ago, Traveler19491 said:

Actually, recessions refer to the economy as a whole, not just the stock market. If your reference was actually to the American stock market, here are a couple of reasons why the market is so high...only one partially due to Trump:

"Part of the answer lies in bond yields. While the long-term rates dictated by the bond market remain as low as they are today, there is a limit on the jitters that will be felt elsewhere. Low yields make bonds an unattractive investment, encouraging investors to buy others." (Those "others" being stocks)

"US economic data look good. Unemployment is falling, consumer confidence is high, and leading indicators from so-called “soft” survey data suggest that optimism following the election of Donald Trump remains high, and will in due course translate into stronger economic activity. If the confidence in Mr. Trump and the economy proves justified, US assets can keep going."

(Both quotes are from The Financial Times.)

Before you attempt to assign low unemployment to Trump, I would point to the fact that it was Obama's record-setting 75 months of job growth that is to account for the current low rate of unemployment.

The hassle with optimism among investors concerning Donald Trump lies in the belief that he will cut taxes on business. However, Trump's tax plan is currently stalled in Congress with no consensus on when it will begin moving. Absent those tax cuts, there is a good chance that the enthusiasm with Mr. Trump will fade...and so will the stock market. It is likely that the contrarians are having a field day. The market is over-priced, the optimism is unwarranted, and the experts are sounding alarms about the economy, including Trump's protectionist talk and his plans to cut taxes while incurring massive spending on infrastructure. An inflated deficit will spell trouble for the economy.

Actually, he's pretty much reneged on his infrastructure promise. Instead of 1 trillion it's going to be 200 billion. And most of that apparently will come from private investors who will be investing in profitable infrastructure investments that would have gotten support anyway. In fact very profitable to them because 82 percent of their tax obligations will be canceled. It's a scam.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Don't change the news for your own benefit. The story says "The President's legal team may be prepared to show a trail of leaks to The New York Times by former FBI Director Comey back to March."

Those 2 words make a big difference.

And if you read the whole story, it is clear this is just a story made up.

Made up like the Russian collusion story and the 3rd meeting Sessions had with the Russians, all from un named sources, with zero proof and swallowed by the anti Trump resistance hook line and sinker.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

Thank you for that, filling in for your friend today are we? How many of these do you have  cut and ready to paste, probably quite a few given that it took you less than 3 minutes to respond, 2 minutes actually?  A quite day but hey, thanks anyway?  :wai:

Edited by Si Thea01

2 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Thank you for that, filling in for your friend today are we? How many of these do you have  cut and ready to paste, probably quite a few given that it took you less than 3 minutes to respond, 2 minutes actually?  A quite day but hey, thanks anyway?  :wai:

Or maybe, unlike some, he's intelligent enough to google "Trump's lawyer has ties to Russia."

10 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Or maybe, unlike some, he's intelligent enough to google "Trump's lawyer has ties to Russia."

Oh, aren't we the clever one.  If I wanted to google I would but your pal was kind enough to enlighten me, while you sit back and wait your turn to jump in should a response be forthcoming.  And you didn't disappoint.  Now, whose turn will it be to respond with the insults.:wai: 

27 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Not doubting your wisdom but a link to sustain your allegation would alleviate any doubts one may have.:wai:

17 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

So, you ask for a link...I provide a link in answer to your request...and then you feel it necessary to denigrate my courtesy with a specious comment about cutting and pasting? My, but we are classy, aren't we?

As to the amount of time it took me to find the information YOU asked for...those of us looking to broaden our knowledge base are reasonably familiar with the process required to discover information and share our findings. AND...we're able to express our gratitude for someone responding to a request with something other than a childish attempt to demean the courteous efforts of another.

You're welcome.

39 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Or...you could've just been gracious and stopped at "Thank you"

T

Gee guys, you haven't let me down, three of you having a go. Any more?  One asks a legitimate question about a link, then has a play with words, maybe being a little sarcastic but not insulting as some, yet when responding, some find the need to turn it around so they become the victim and are offended.  This, it seems, gives others permission to let the insults rain down.  Isn't there something about dishing it out but can't take it.  Gee sorry guys, can't have both ways.:wai:

5 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Gee guys, you haven't let me down, three of you having a go. Any more?  One asks a legitimate question about a link, then has a play with words, maybe being a little sarcastic but not insulting as some, yet when responding, some find the need to turn it around so they become the victim and are offended.  This, it seems, gives others permission to let the insults rain down.  Isn't there something about dishing it out but can't take it.  Gee sorry guys, can't have both ways.:wai:

Or...you could've just stopped at "sorry"

31 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

As a trumpie, you are a true asset to the "cause", following boldly in the footsteps of your "fearless leader" and refusing to take responsibility when called out on a wrongdoing. If you actually think that your comment was "wordplay" then your "understanding" of the term is lacking, but somehow I doubt that. Wordplay is when you use a commonly accepted word or phrase to mean something that it doesn't. Your comment was not wordplay. It was a speciously trite little effort to belittle someone else's courtesy for no other reason than a Trumpian effort to denigrate another. And, as Thakkar noted, were you actually attempting to not be demeaning, you could have stopped at "Thank you". Nice try at deflection, though.

Edited by Traveler19491

Dubke...gone, Spicer...disappeared, Priebus...looking to jump before he gets the push. Chaos and disarray and Trump is running out of family members and children of cronies to fill the gaps.

Long gone by Christmas, certainly in disgrace if not under indictment.

9 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Dubke...gone, Spicer...disappeared, Priebus...looking to jump before he gets the push. Chaos and disarray and Trump is running out of family members and children of cronies to fill the gaps.

I hope so, but I am tending towards the theory advanced by Jingthing that the Democrats are happy to keep the pressure up and keep the Orange One boxed in till the mid-term elections in 2018. The GOP representatives are holding the party line and the various investigations will take months and months to play out. I can see him easily lasting till then.

16 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/337530-cindy-mccain-to-get-role-in-trump-state-department-report#

Cindy McCain is expected to be offered a role in President Trump’s State Department

Meanwhile...

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Monday walked back his comments that U.S. leadership under President Trump is worse than when President Barack Obama was in office. 

“I never said such a thing. A thousand times I said, ‘Look at the world in 2009 and look at it today.’ Of course, I never said [that]. If I did I was joking,” the Arizona senator reportedly told The Daily Caller.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/337585-mccain-walks-back-comments-about-american-leadership-being-better-under-obama

7 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/337530-cindy-mccain-to-get-role-in-trump-state-department-report#

Cindy McCain is expected to be offered a role in President Trump’s State Department

Meanwhile...

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Monday walked back his comments that U.S. leadership under President Trump is worse than when President Barack Obama was in office. 

“I never said such a thing. A thousand times I said, ‘Look at the world in 2009 and look at it today.’ Of course, I never said [that]. If I did I was joking,” the Arizona senator reportedly told The Daily Caller.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/337585-mccain-walks-back-comments-about-american-leadership-being-better-under-obama

I don't understand this. Trump is known to be vindictive and unforgiving.

Why would he appoint the spouse of a critic? Sounds wrong.

Theories :

1. Cindy McCain won't be appointed. Trump is doing a "Kerry", pretending to consider somebody for a position, inflating their ego and muting their attacks on him. And he gets the last laugh by saying they did not make the cut. (It's The Apprentice again)

2. Trump is seriously worried about Senator defections. McCain is the prime suspect for leading any rebellion. He needs to get McCain on side.

3. It's a poisoned chalice. Trump needs a fall guy (gal?) in the State Department. Trump kills two birds with one stone by also getting revenge on McCain. Remember Trump never forgets any slight.

Why do trumpets get so prissy when exposed? You can see their lips and <deleted> pucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

Oh, aren't we the clever one.  If I wanted to google I would but your pal was kind enough to enlighten me, while you sit back and wait your turn to jump in should a response be forthcoming.  And you didn't disappoint.  Now, whose turn will it be to respond with the insults.:wai: 

In other words, you can't be bothered to look up facts on your own. And then you make snotty remarks to him when he provides the facts to you. You might have tried graciously conceding the point instead.

Edited by ilostmypassword