Uk credit card issues in Thailand.

I have been using my NatWest world elite credit card in Thailand for the first time in recent weeks. I have used this card in many countries for the last year or so with no problems. Here I keep getting confused looks from retail staff, it's 50/50 tbf if there is any confusion or if they say my card is no good. Basically after asserting the fact that I want to pay in thai baht (as they get that wrong a lot ..another story), on several occasions they keep pressing buttons to try and bypass the chip and pin! I tell them I have to insert my PIN number but they just keep pressing buttons. I will admit this really frustrates me and I usually hear my wife's voice in the distance saying " Jai  yen, Jai yen " lol.  As I said it's a 50/50 occurrence and on many occasions it's a breeze and the staff ask me to input pin no and I they have already made the payment choice in Thai baht.

Now yesterday i used my card in the emporium shopping mall to pay for a haircut. I input my pin ( which I have had for 18 months without change) and it said pin rejected and that was my third time! So basically card is now blocked! I called NatWest and they said it was not my fault they can see it's the retailers in Thailand who are trying to bypass the chip and pin facility even though they have that facility. Now NatWest have unblocked my card to use in cash points ( but bugger that) for emergency cash but cannot unblock the chip and pin block. I now have to call MasterCard for an emergency replacement to here. Does anyone know the MasterCard number as the one given to me and the one online for the free thai toll number isn't working? 

Edited by goldenbrwn1

Don't know the number but you may have to go through your bank since it was issued through them

I will wait in anticipation to see if a bank or credit facility will send you one overseas (i couldn't even get one sent to the other side of my own country

Was originally told the credit side of my card (Visa ) had been breached even though I still had card. But was assured my savings side of it will be fine - Certainly will not be believing them again

2 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Don't know the number but you may have to go through your bank since it was issued through them

I will wait in anticipation to see if a bank or credit facility will send you one overseas (i couldn't even get one sent to the other side of my own country

Was originally told the credit side of my card (Visa ) had been breached even though I still had card. But was assured my savings side of it will be fine - Certainly will not be believing them again

I was told by NatWest that MasterCard in Thailand would send me a new card (albeit using the same MasterCard credit account ect) and the international transaction charges which there are none on the NatWest elite credit card would be reimbursed by them. It's just the numbers on the MasterCard site for Thailand are not working.

Staying on topic , has anyone else had problems similar using their credit card here? I have used this card in arguably a lot less developed countries over the last few months with zero problems.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Visa Debit card & Credit cards from my UK bank never a problem only asked for pin rarely.

I don't have a UK address either but the bank in UK OK with that. :thumbsup:

The only places I don't get asked for PIN number is in grocery stores and restaurants. ☹️ I have even used contactless in some restaurants that have that facility with no problem but general purchasing it's 50/50 whether there is some sort of problem.

4 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

The only places I don't get asked for PIN number is in grocery stores and restaurants. ☹️ I have even used contactless in some restaurants that have that facility with no problem but general purchasing it's 50/50 whether there is some sort of problem.

Bank card use to be not so a good few years back even in some banks.

I use debit card in Thai banks to get money from England now and again.

Use credit card in garages, big stores and now in 7-11 l see it as good way to use money l have in England at low cost and settle in full every month. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, johng said:

What card are you using ?
My debit/credit cards from the UK want to charge 2.5 - 3.5 percent for the privilege of using them outside the EU !

Read topic post  mate

Edited by goldenbrwn1

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Bank card use to be not so a good few years back even in some banks.

I use debit card in Thai banks to get money from England now and again.

Use credit card in garages, big stores and now in 7-11 l see it as good way to use money l have in England at low cost and settle in full every month. :thumbsup:

Agree , it worked fine in the big stores aswell like home pro. It's some of those those smaller shops in the shopping malls that seem to have the problem. Sports world for an example bypassed my pin on 2 occasions and said to me 'your card no good, don't have money' and eventually when I did get the pay point machine off him to input my pin no, it was rejected. And I agree it's a good way to spend because you get the MasterCard exchange rate, you are protected from fraud and you can just transfer from your bank online straight to your credit account to settle up. No charges either, well on this card as long as you settle up before the end of the month.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

In have same cards here and do not have any problems, occasionally they block it if it is unusual usage. I phone +44 131 339 7609 and it gets sorted very quickly. I also notify them in advance when I am away from my normal place of residence, again prevents any problems.

17 minutes ago, johng said:

I was asking Kwasaki about charges incurred from overseas use.

In relation to the comment from GoldenBrwn1 for the original post, If you cannot get 001-800-11-887-0663,

you can call mastercard from abroad at +44 1268 508 018 to avoid the potential premium charges.

I use skype which is cheap for this because of it being a landline UK number.

For johng, it is correct that they will want a few percent and this is much more attractive than being subject to the bank spread for a currency like Thai Baht.

Long ago It used to be that you got charged the bank spread (Horrific even now, see below). However for some time now, the EU agreed rules cushion us from this.

You get the benefit of a middle rate of exchange without a spread, but instead have to pay the credit card fee - from experience averages about 3%,

This saves a good amount of money varying according to different banks exchange rate.

EG. If you currently use Thai Baht and get charged the current UK Natwest Rate, the  spread is 40.22 to 48.4 which is 20%.

Therefore you will be lose  half of that or 10% in the conversion. Which is far more than the few percent average that the credit card companies use.

I can tell you that I much prefer the current system. You know the approx amount you will be charged.

Just imagine if you were in the middle east, as I was a few years ago and had one of their banks credit card - used in Thailand to draw Baht - as happened to me once or twice.

Found after that they  have a 50% spread for Thai Baht vs their currency. Needless to say I didnt let it happen again.

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Depends on your institution. My UK institution, organised the sending of an emergency Gold VISA card out to me in Thailand. It was sent from Singapore by courier.

I don't understand why a card that calls itself Elite, leaves it to the cardholder to contact Mastercard in order to receive an emergency card. I had to do nothing of the sort.

10 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Depends on your institution. My UK institution, organised the sending of an emergency Gold VISA card out to me in Thailand. It was sent from Singapore by courier.

I don't understand why a card that calls itself Elite, leaves it to the cardholder to contact Mastercard in order to receive an emergency card. I had to do nothing of the sort.

I know. I asked why and told their policy is to only send replacements to the uk postal address. Otherwise the card is great.

2 hours ago, johng said:

What card are you using ?
My debit/credit cards from the UK want to charge 2.5 - 3.5 percent for the privilege of using them outside the EU !

Change your debit/credit cards. Those below will reduce your charges to 0%.

Credit, you have the choice from;

Halifax Clarity

Creation Everyday

Santander Zero

Barclaycard Travel Platinum Visa

All of the above are superior to the "Elite" product in the first post, as they don't levy any fees, apart from interest, for cash advances.

Below have no fees for purchases abroad.

Post Office Platinum

Saga Platinum

Nationwide Select Visa

These two for people perhaps rebuilding their credit record;

Aqua Reward

Aqua Advance

Debit

Cumberland Plus Visa

Monzo

Loot

So you have a lot of options. Never depend on just one card.

12 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I know. I asked why and told their policy is to only send replacements to the uk postal address. Otherwise the card is great.

Different thing. A replacement card is a full card with your name on it. Emergency card had no identifying details, if I remember correctly. Which is why it was sent by courier.

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

In relation to the comment from GoldenBrwn1 for the original post, If you cannot get 001-800-11-887-0663,

you can call mastercard from abroad at +44 1268 508 018 to avoid the potential premium charges.

I use skype which is cheap for this because of it being a landline UK number.

For johng, it is correct that they will want a few percent and this is much more attractive than being subject to the bank spread for a currency like Thai Baht.

Long ago It used to be that you got charged the bank spread (Horrific even now, see below). However for some time now, the EU agreed rules cushion us from this.

You get the benefit of a middle rate of exchange without a spread, but instead have to pay the credit card fee - from experience averages about 3%,

This saves a good amount of money varying according to different banks exchange rate.

EG. If you currently use Thai Baht and get charged the current UK Natwest Rate, the  spread is 40.22 to 48.4 which is 20%.

Therefore you will be lose  half of that or 10% in the conversion. Which is far more than the few percent average that the credit card companies use.

I can tell you that I much prefer the current system. You know the approx amount you will be charged.

Just imagine if you were in the middle east, as I was a few years ago and had one of their banks credit card - used in Thailand to draw Baht - as happened to me once or twice.

Found after that they  have a 50% spread for Thai Baht vs their currency. Needless to say I didnt let it happen again.

See post #22. I haven't paid forex fees in at least ten years. Possibly more, I don't remember exactly.

Just now, JamJar said:

Different thing. A replacement card is a full card with your name on it. Emergency card had no identifying details, if I remember correctly. Which is why it was sent by courier.

Tbh that's what I am receiving by courier. I  just had to call them myself but you would think they would do it for me . There's no charges etc for purchases abroad on this card and it is their so called elite travel credit card ?

1 minute ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Tbh that's what I am receiving by courier. I  just had to call them myself but you would think they would do it for me . There's no charges etc for purchases abroad on this card and it is their so called elite travel credit card ?

At least you are getting a card. A lot better service than most would receive. Having to call is a small inconvenience in comparison to having nothing at all or have to pay forex fees.

Take a look at my listing in so that you always have a useful fallback in future.

It is astonishing how virtually ALL the staff in shops where their terminal has a pin input facility to use with cards that require it simply don't know about it,let alone how to use it. You literally have to take over the process yourself....and they never remember next time you go back! On the few occasions I've had a transaction declined by the bank  it is always with outlets where the terminal has no pin input facility . If the card is subsequently blocked, my nationwide select card gets immediately unblocked as soon as I advise them by secure message that it was legitimate. They often phone or text just after the attempt ed transaction to verify. 

I cannot understand the reason for your bank needing to send another card rather than use the process I described.

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It is astonishing how virtually ALL the staff in shops where their terminal has a pin input facility to use with cards that require it simply don't know about it,let alone how to use it. You literally have to take over the process yourself....and they never remember next time you go back! On the few occasions I've had a transaction declined by the bank  it is always with outlets where the terminal has no pin input facility . If the card is subsequently blocked, my nationwide select card gets immediately unblocked as soon as I advise them by secure message that it was legitimate. They often phone or text just after the attempt ed transaction to verify. 

I cannot understand the reason for your bank needing to send another card rather than use the process I described.

I'm guessing because in your case it's just a suspect transaction. In GB's case it was incorrect PIN entered three times. So the PIN needs to be reset. Usually done in a UK ATM.

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Tbh I struggle not lose it when I'm faced with those blank looks at the checkout when I tell them it's chip and pin and they all smile (as it's usually at least 3 serving me for 1 item) then smile again trying to work out which one is going to tell me my card is not working. But yes I would of thought the bank could just reactivate it but I think chip and pin is a whole separate thing that they have no control over. My PIN number had been entered incorrectly 3 x and I'm pretty sure it was the staff in sports world who kept pressing buttons on two attempts to buy some trainers and the cashier in the barber in emporium yesterday on the last occasion.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

4 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I'm guessing because in your case it's just a suspect transaction. In GB's case it was incorrect PIN entered three times. So the PIN needs to be reset. Usually done in a UK ATM.

I was told that by NatWest ?