Patrick's steakhouse

SidJames

I had an NZ fillet steak there a couple of days ago & it was superb.

I brought my own bottle of cab sav & even with their 350THB corkage charge it still works out well.

I have no issue whatsoever with corkage charges at that price as I understand they must make a profit.

They took the bottle & uncorked it & presented us with nice clean burgundy style glasses.

I ate once at A La Campagne (never again) on the Suk just past floating market & the corkage was 300THB.

I asked for glasses & an ice bucket & was told that they do not give out wine glasses or ice buckets if you bring your own wine.

We were given extra water tumblers.

Class act.

350 baht (A$14) corkage? Outrageous. Don't you think they make a profit on the food? It costs them the price of washing 2 glasses and that costs 350 baht? I'd expect to pay that in Australia, but not here.

Edited by giddyup

I imagine the charge is meant to discourage customers from taking their own drinks into the place. They no doubt sell their own range of beverages; after all that is their business. OP states he is happy to pay for taking in and consuming something not on the menu. Corkage will cover lost drink sales too.

1 hour ago, SidJames said:

...... 350THB corkage charge it still works out well.

I have no issue whatsoever with corkage charges at that price as I understand they must make a profit.

...... corkage was 300THB.

Your choice, of course, but there will be snow on Jomtien beach before I pay corkage charges to anyone, anywhere.

As for having to make a profit, do you think that they make a loss if I eat there and don't drink anything at all? I dont. And if they do make a loss in those circumstances then they simply dont know how to run their business, which is not really my problem.

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Your choice, of course, but there will be snow on Jomtien beach before I pay corkage charges to anyone, anywhere.

As for having to make a profit, do you think that they make a loss if I eat there and don't drink anything at all? I dont. And if they do make a loss in those circumstances then they simply dont know how to run their business, which is not really my problem.

Charging corkage fee seems reasonable. 
The profit margins on wine are ridiculously high in restaurants and yes it significantly contributes to their bottom line. 
In comparison, 8€ doesn't seem that much if you are able to knock off 20 € on the bottle itself.

Will they be make a loss if nobody drinks with their food? Most likely not, at most they would reduce the numbers of staff working and you will have to wait longer to get served.

10 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

The profit margins on wine are ridiculously high in restaurants and yes it significantly contributes to their bottom line. 

Really? Wine is expensive in Thailand and my limited experience with wine drinking in a restaurant I expected the cost per glass/carafe would be much higher. But 300 baht corkage sounds acceptable but not if they refuse to give you a proper wine glass. Sod that.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Really? Wine is expensive in Thailand and my limited experience with wine drinking in a restaurant I expected the cost per glass/carafe would be much higher. But 300 baht corkage sounds acceptable but not if they refuse to give you a proper wine glass. Sod that.

Agreed, they should also provide some clean wine glasses as well. 

350 is a lumpy agreed, 2-300 is the norm except in local Thai places where it's gratis in my experience although my one & only trip to Koh Samet the resort that I stayed at were charging 500THB corkage.

The wine that I had at Patrick's cost me about 800 baht in Wine Connection so that's 1150 total which is about Patrick;s entry level pricing.

My wine was superior so thanks to Patrick's corkage fee both the restaurant & myself were satisfied.

I can get cheaper steaks & cheaper wine elsewhere but there is a world of difference in the cost of things & the value of things.

I thought that I got good value.

If for example I saw a sign offering me a steak dinner with a bottle of red wine for 500 baht all in, I wouldn't stop & think "wow, what great value, I must try this".

It would be more along the lines of "they must be kidding, what's the catch? How can they serve a decent steak dinner with drinkable plonk for that price?"

It's the perception of value that captures us & the realisation of  that value that will ensure our enjoyment & return.

Anyway I had a cracking slap-up steak dinner with a cheeky red plus a lovely little sort serving our table, job done IMO.

593ab404752b1_Danthepieman.jpg.fc5146aadd9ed46a161d83a005afc86b.jpg

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

I bring my own. Nobody does it better.

IMG-20170608-02955.jpg

Are those M&S's fine offerings?

Unless you're a steak-a-day man, looks like you'll need to eat all those over a couple of days before next weekend.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Are those M&S's fine offerings?

Unless you're a steak-a-day man, looks like you'll need to eat all those over a couple of days before next weekend.

Actually no, LIDL's 'premium' offering.  I'm sharing. So only two for me. Already discussions as to who has the rib-eye. So I'll probably have just half of that. :smile:

15 hours ago, SidJames said:

350 is a lumpy agreed, 2-300 is the norm except in local Thai places where it's gratis in my experience although my one & only trip to Koh Samet the resort that I stayed at were charging 500THB corkage.

The wine that I had at Patrick's cost me about 800 baht in Wine Connection so that's 1150 total which is about Patrick;s entry level pricing.

My wine was superior so thanks to Patrick's corkage fee both the restaurant & myself were satisfied.

I can get cheaper steaks & cheaper wine elsewhere but there is a world of difference in the cost of things & the value of things.

I thought that I got good value.

If for example I saw a sign offering me a steak dinner with a bottle of red wine for 500 baht all in, I wouldn't stop & think "wow, what great value, I must try this".

It would be more along the lines of "they must be kidding, what's the catch? How can they serve a decent steak dinner with drinkable plonk for that price?"

It's the perception of value that captures us & the realisation of  that value that will ensure our enjoyment & return.

Anyway I had a cracking slap-up steak dinner with a cheeky red plus a lovely little sort serving our table, job done IMO.

593ab404752b1_Danthepieman.jpg.fc5146aadd9ed46a161d83a005afc86b.jpg

I completely agree - if you are going to have wine with dinner it is a much better deal bringing your own - by the way how much is the NZ steak there these days?

I have not eaten there for a while as last time I went in the background smell of fried food was a little overpowering and I turned round and left :sad:.

1 hour ago, topt said:

I completely agree - if you are going to have wine with dinner it is a much better deal bringing your own - by the way how much is the NZ steak there these days?

I have not eaten there for a while as last time I went in the background smell of fried food was a little overpowering and I turned round and left :sad:.

I can't remember exactly topt as the evening went on until the early hours.

About the only thing that I remember with any clarity was how much I enjoyed that steak.

There were a few lone diners enjoying red wine by the glass as well.

http://www.patricksrestopattaya.com/Patrick/menu/