Issues getting appropriate visa in USA

Hello,

I've been coming to Thailand for 15 years but things keep getting more and more difficult.  I am finding it difficult to get an appropriate visa.

I live in Florida.  I would like a mulitiple entry tourist visa, but the consulate here down in Coral Gables stopped granting them.  So I sent my package to the DC consulate or embassy or whatever it is - I am 'zoned' for that one.  The strangest thing happened.  They left a message on my answering machine stating that I had provided none of the supporting documentation (hotel, airline tickets, employment letter, 6 months of bank statements, etc.) EVEN THOUGH I HAD PROVIDED THE DOCUMENTATION.  So I called back, nobody answered so I left a message.  Over the next 3-4 days I continued to call back, but nobody returned my call.  Then I found an email address and sent them an email.  No return email.  Finally after over a week I was able to contact someone on the phone.  It was a Thai lady.  She was one of the rudest people I had ever spoken to in my life - Thai or non-Thai.  She continued to claim that I had sent none of the documentation, and hadn't even sent a return envelope, and she was yelling and cursing into the phone.  I kept telling her I was looking at a photo copy of the package, and I could see that had sent everything.  I asked for her name, she would not give it.  I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she would not allow it.  Finally she hung up.

My package came back a few days later, IN THE RETURN ENVELOPE SHE CLAIMED I DIDN'T PROVIDE.  She stapled a sheet listing the requirements to my package, and she circled and highlighted each thing I was supposed to provide.  Guess what... the sheet was stapled to the documents I HAD PROVIDED.  I had a family member review everything, and my family member was surprised.  She had initially assumed I must have done something wrong, but verified that "I'll be damned - you're right.  You provided everything."

First off, my only guess is, they've been told to deny visas for any reason, and if they can't find a reason, just invent one.  Can anyone else verify this, has anyone else heard of this kind of thing happening before, has anyone else ever had issues with the DC consulate/embassy?

Secondly, I could just go to the Florida consulate, which I've used since forever, but again, I can only get a 3-month visa.  I checked and New York only serves the northeast, Chicago only serves the midwest, and LA only serves out west.  IS THERE ANY OTHER CONSULATE YOU COULD RECOMMEND THAT I COULD USE?

Third option, is there some 'other' way I could make this work, meaning, come in on a 3 month, then leave to get another single-entry somewhere?  Is that possible, and is that being done?  My plan was to come in on a multiple entry, stay 6 months, leave just before the 6 months and come back again to make it 9 months, SO I ALREADY BOUGHT A 9 MONTH TICKET (stupid visa requirements want to see the ticket before they even do anything for you).

Thanks for any help.

I have never heard of such a problem. It's really strange for them to say the documents were not there and were.

You could try the New York consulate. I am not really sure they are that strict on the posted areas of responsibility. I can recall reports of people applying the embassy in DC that were not within their area.

You could get a single entry tourist visa before leaving and then 2 more at a nearby embassy or consulate.

5 minutes ago, jgm005 said:

Atlanta Thai consulate general. Been using them for years and never a problem.

That is a honorary consulate. Since August of last year no honorary consulate can issue multiple entry visas when the embassy in DC took away their authority to do them. Only the embassy and the 3 official consulates can issue them.

• Like 1

That is a honorary consulate. Since August of last year no honorary consulate can issue multiple entry visas when the embassy in DC took away their authority to do them. Only the embassy and the 3 official consulates can issue them.

In Germany the honorary consulates can issue multi-entry visas again, however the processing time is about 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The one issued to me October 2016 was a multiple entry.  The one I have now is a single entry nonimmigrant O.  

Edited by jgm005
Details

Jump on a plane, apply in person, get your pspt back in two days, visit the Smithsonian, Vietnam Memorial and the Washington Monumentsl..........Win Win............I found them to be very responsive.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 2

It has become the norm in the U.S for consulates to enter single entry visa when possible  and then to expect that single entry visa to be extended in Thailand at your local immigration after arrival.

That provides more "local control of visas" in Thailand which is preferred by the "paper pushers" in  charge at Thai immigration.

Not a complaint, just a fact.

• Like 1

Why not come here and apply for it once in country?  I believe that's possible.  I came once and wanted the one year visa based on retirement.  I was told near the end of the 60 day entry I received (with no visa) come back and get a 30 day extension, and apply for the one year permit.  

Circumstances changed for me before the 90 days were up, so I never went through with it.  But all this was told to me by immigration in Bangkok.  Though it was about 5 years or so ago.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

It has become the norm in the U.S for consulates to enter single entry visa when possible  and then to expect that single entry visa to be extended in Thailand at your local immigration after arrival.

That provides more "local control of visas" in Thailand which is preferred by the "paper pushers" in  charge at Thai immigration.

Not a complaint, just a fact.

This fellow was applying for a ME-Tourist Visa - no way to extend a Single-Entry Tourist-Visa beyond 30 extra days.  The closest thing is, as suggested, for him to get additional Tourist Visas at consulates in the region or try the NY Consulate (time permitting).

11 hours ago, sbaker8688 said:

My package came back a few days later, IN THE RETURN ENVELOPE SHE CLAIMED I DIDN'T PROVIDE.  She stapled a sheet listing the requirements to my package, and she circled and highlighted each thing I was supposed to provide.  Guess what... the sheet was stapled to the documents I HAD PROVIDED.

It is possible the initial rejection resulted from confusing your application with that of someone else.  But they could not admit making a mistake, so ...  I am surprised she did not throw your supporting documents in the trash before sending back your application and passport; perhaps her "requirement-list" was attached to your file by someone else.

7 hours ago, jgm005 said:

The one issued to me October 2016 was a multiple entry.

They might of gotten the notice late. This is posted on the Portland consulates website.

EFFECTIVE AUGUST 15, 2016, WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO ISSUE MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST OR NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR SINGLE ENTRY TOURIST, TRANSIT AND NON-IMMIGRANT O, B OR ED VISAS ONLY.  YOU MAY APPLY FOR MULTIPLE ENTRY VISAS AT THE LOS ANGELES CONSULATE OR THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSY IN WASHINGTON, DC.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

8 years ago those 4 spots were the places to deal with; i called each one, reviewed each one's website; and the answers to the same questions were different enough to matter ; the LA branch was the smartest, the chicago branch was the one i ended up using

Sounds to me like the OP got the Serbian witch at the Embassy in Washington.  The Consular Officer has pretty much taken a hands off attitude in DC over the last several years, since they took the day to day operation of the Visa section and gave it to a local hire

She angrily called me when I failed to include an extra copy of all forms and documentation even though I submitted the correct numer of copies based upon the instructions on the website.   They eventually changed the instructions to include the extra copies.  In my case I received the finalized O-A visa signed by the Counsellor Officer later in the day of the ranting phone call

I started using New York when I moved from VA to PA and no longer had to deal with DC, but there have been several reports of New York following the same path as DC here at Thai Visa, as well as personal experience last October.  And it has been my experience the DC definitely enforces the geographic restrictions, especially since they were the first to list them on their web site  Whether or not the OP can squeeze into New York is problematic  

On 6/10/2017 at 8:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

Only the embassy and the 3 official consulates can issue them.

this is years ago: i called all 4; looked at the websites for all 4; i ended up using chicago however it seemed any of them would have serviced me; the LA folks were quite nice

On 6/10/2017 at 8:35 AM, jgm005 said:

Atlanta Thai consulate general. Been using them for years and never a problem.

I used them in January for Non-O  90 day visa for $80. They did offer me a 90 day Tourist Visa for free, but I decided to take Non-O.

They cannot give an one year multiple entry Non-O anymore by orders from the Embassy in Washington. I agree though Thailand

is a pain in the ass on Immigration and they employee 30,000 people.

I Have nothing constructive to say except that I just got my retirement visa from the LA consulate in 6 days after sending package. I live in Denver.

No questions asked.

I spent ungodly time getting it all together but in my case it paid off.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

One suggestion is to bring your docs with you and apply in Thailand. It can be done that way but is more trouble and takes more time.