Report ranking Thailand a dangerous country to visit is based on outdated information: Foreign Ministry

Jonathan Fairfield

21 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

of course.  It should now read that Thailand is a "Very dangerous Country",  endangered by political incompetency and corrupt police supported by government (and others).  But there again only my opinion.

I bet most of the negative posters either don`t live in Thailand or live in Farlang ghettos and rarely integrate into Thai society.

Pray tell me, those who have strong negative feelings about Thailand and stay here; why do you stay here and not move on to greener pastures?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, jesimps said:

"Evening all, this is your friendly Thai-bashing policeman on duty to ensure you say only good things about the locals".

Just the truth would do it................:coffee1:

You know if you turned this around and a report came out that Thailand was good for ...this... or for that... we would have the whining Brits telling us that its made up stuff TAT has rigged it...but this report, Oh yer lets  except this one on face value....no problem.

& yes I am a Brit---but got so used to hearing the whines in N.Zealand for 13 years and in Oz for 28 years..... amazing they come from a Sh1thouse of a run down country....and as soon as they move to somewhere always they wanted to be....then it gets reinvented in there head.....

The Aussies had it about right---"how do you tell the plane just come from the UK---- well the engines have been turned off but you can still hear the whining"

a lot of kids come over to Thailand and are lulled into a false sense of security thinking that it is just like home by the  hi-speed internet, Starbucks, ATM's. a lot end up in the ER and walk out on crutches.  the traffic laws are not enforced and until the police get serious about enforcing moving violations, it will be same same.  i doubt also if most have ever driven a scooter before and have the requisite license?  recipe for disaster.  i would like to see radar/ red light cameras.

Of course it is outdated if not fake report because I simply can leave my things here in Thailand then come back to find them where I left them.
On the contrary back home if I leave something let us say a smart phone it will disappear as soon as I take my eyes of it.:cheesy:

PS: Thailand could be dangerous for Thais but not tourists IMO.

Edited by nasanews
ADDED

15 minutes ago, malibukid said:

a lot of kids come over to Thailand and are lulled into a false sense of security thinking that it is just like home by the  hi-speed internet, Starbucks, ATM's. a lot end up in the ER and walk out on crutches.  the traffic laws are not enforced and until the police get serious about enforcing moving violations, it will be same same.  i doubt also if most have ever driven a scooter before and have the requisite license?  recipe for disaster.  i would like to see radar/ red light cameras.

I think if you made aware of your concerns to the appropriate Thai authorities with the threat of removing yourself and your valuable contributions from Thai society, that this would trigger them into action and begin these improvements with immediate effect.

Just because all the random shootings, road rage incidents, balcony diving, motorcycle, car, train, and mini van accidents, speed boat accidents, missing tourists, collapsing bridges and hotels, happened in the past and not today, doesn’t make them outdated.

Edited by Lupatria

Political turmoil, judicial system the best money can buy, 'Boss' Red Bull, the two lads from Burma (I saw the picture of the English girl that died, absolutely horrible, the three girls cutting up their mate and getting rock star treatment from the police, the trade in flesh and participation by government officials, death threats to falang jurno's that out corrupt practices, very high road toll, motor bike deaths, crazy ladyboys (can be a problem for older falangs who are drunk and not have their wits with them), falang seen as walking ATM's, best Police force money can buy, Lese-majeste law is a criminal offence and not known by some travellers, and probably a bit more.

I can understand the concern and ranking.

moan moan moan, but not leaving the place you slate so much!

the majority of tourist deaths involve alcohol, don't blame that... just the country.

the driving is bad for sure,   T and burmese etc have the excuse that driving tests are not compulsory but the farangs don't and i see it everyday from all nationalities.

The Burmese get blamed again then.

Ask any local who has been fortunate to get out one qestion

Would you go back to live in your home country?

and you will find 99% of the answers have a great big no way (or words that cannot be written here) in the answer.

Ask why

And too dangerous and getting worse is in the answer (and much worse).

As I meet many here I do ask the question very often and have been for a long time.

But do not take my word for it, try it yourself next time you leave one of the most dangerous country's in the world and you will see I am right.

Health, wealth, happiness, long life are all cut short there but many just close their eyes and ears to facts.

Ok you can go down the beach every day, food is cheap if you eat the local brown stuff and it is mainly brown and white. But I cannot remember anything that would make me praise the place again, except it is away from BK a beautiful country but now run into the ground as no thought for the future or investment in keeping it  looking pristine takes place.

In many other country's they make life there so much better, yet are only a short distance away. Face it time has passed you by as you struggle with facebook (spend more time chasing those who read and write and like, that chasing bloody murders).

Mind you its a nice place to run and hide if you are on the run and I have to admit a few years ago I thought the sun shone out of the place and never would have written this, then I woke up like many others should.

I have to say I have lived in many countries, including U.K. and America, and find Thailand the safest one of all, on the basis of if you pay your bills and do not go around insulting people you will never have a problem. However, I am afraid to venture out on the streets on my mountain bike for fear that I will be wiped out by one of the many Thai drivers her who just do not look where they are going !

i feel far safer here than virtually anywhere in the world- the only precautions i take are making sure all zippers and buttons

on my clothes are closed; of course, i don't hang out w/non-Thai speaking expats,

neither do i ever spend time in areas populated by non-Thai speaking expats such as Pattaya, Patong, Patpong, etc

-ANY place is dangerous if one conducts oneself as a modern-day colonist, refusing to learn the language whatsoever,

and willfully ignoring the country's culture and customs

You will surely live for a very long time.

Well it will certainly seem like a very long time.

:)

4 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

It's very simple sitti, just close your borders to all farangs and Thailand will be trouble free.

That actually might be a good idea. However, I don't see how it could help Thailand though. My borders are quite far away from Thailand.

I am sure that the statistics on death and injuries to western tourists are hopelessly skewed by motorcycle accidents. Every flight out of BKK seems to have its quota of battered bruised and hobbling wounded scooter hirers. Riding a hired scooter in a country whose traffic rules and customs are not known, especially if you do not ride one at home is frankly silly. Take away the motorcycle injuries and take into account the average age of most of the foreign (western) residents and I doubt if it is any more dangerous than anywhere else.

Ever tried crossing the road in Paris?

Seriously, I drove a Taxi on the night shift in a small city in the West Country for a couple of years ( not my preferred job, but I was looking after an elderly mother with dementia) before I came here. I feel a lot safer on my occasional jaunts into the not so seamy underbelly of Chiang Rai nightlife than I would at night back there.

7 minutes ago, JAG said:

I am sure that the statistics on death and injuries to western tourists are hopelessly skewed by motorcycle accidents. Every flight out of BKK seems to have its quota of battered bruised and hobbling wounded scooter hirers. Riding a hired scooter in a country whose traffic rules and customs are not known, especially if you do not ride one at home is frankly silly. Take away the motorcycle injuries and take into account the average age of most of the foreign (western) residents and I doubt if it is any more dangerous than anywhere else.

Ever tried crossing the road in Paris?

Seriously, I drove a Taxi on the night shift in a small city in the West Country for a couple of years ( not my preferred job, but I was looking after an elderly mother with dementia) before I came here. I feel a lot safer on my occasional jaunts into the not so seamy underbelly of Chiang Rai nightlife than I would at night back there.

Weston-super-Mere JAG?

Personal safety is a individual issue been here full time for 8 years and coming and going before that from 1998, never a personal safety issue. Not beat up, not threaten with a gun, no major crashes car or bike, never been hit in the head by a ladyboy. From my opinion safer than the US

Many Farlangs decide to stay in Thailand because for various reasons have not been successful in their own countries and are here either escaping their lives back home or for economic reasons. They are economic refugees or just fed up with their lives in Farlangland, that in their own countries probably had very few or if any friends and have dysfunctional relationships with their families.

They don`t particularly like the Thai people or living in Thailand. I know of many who live in their own secluded environments, have no interest in learning to speak Thai with just a few deadbeat Farlang acquaintances they chat with at times or with done high mileage Thai girlfriends and hardly associate themselves with the Thais and Thailand at all. Finding themselves living semi secluded lives they continually complain about the society they are trapped in and unable to tear themselves away from, that is my take on the complainers. Otherwise, why would those that complain about everything Thai choose to remain here?

8 hours ago, moe666 said:

Personal safety is a individual issue been here full time for 8 years and coming and going before that from 1998, never a personal safety issue. Not beat up, not threaten with a gun, no major crashes car or bike, never been hit in the head by a ladyboy. From my opinion safer than the US

Pretty low bar.

10 hours ago, sangtip2 said:

What has been  "Recently Improved"    I don't see anything different.

i think its normal and after 34yrs.i dont see any improvment.

just ask the family of the murdered disabled baker[done for fun]

or the student killed with a screw driver[done for fun]

or the poor security guard outside a hospital on the weekend[beaten with a steel bar] then having his throat cut.[parking dispute]

then there is the poor kids killed by drunks,druggies or rage.[by family members].

all these committed the past couple of months.

i am not a whinger or a moaner just stateing the actual daily life in thailand.

On 6/10/2017 at 5:10 PM, ldiablo72 said:

Just because a place is listed as a top tourist destination does not mean it cannot also be one of the most dangerous.

soon thailand will have an entrance sign saying "thrill seekers only"