Cap seal to be phased out in Thailand within a year

webfact

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

The bags from BigC (TESCO, etc) have kept me from having to buy trash bags since I moved to Thailand.  (Okay, one time for big trash) They're the perfect size for about a day's worth of kitchen scraps.

Yup, since we started using makro for the majority of our shopping we have had to buy trash bags rather than using the Tesco ones.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, since we started using makro for the majority of our shopping we have had to buy trash bags rather than using the Tesco ones.

It's not a lot of money, but the idea of reusing them appeals to me.  I also found that I'm more inclined to take the trash downstairs before it starts going off and stinking up the place when I use the smaller BigC free bags (which I hang from a doorknob next to the kitchen sink- another advantage over purchased trash bags).  Bigger trash bags take a couple of days to fill up, and by then...

I probably shouldn't mention this, but I wouldn't be averse to actually paying for the BigC bags, like I do in China for the past 10 years or so.

Our local restaurant (operated by my step-son) does not provide drinking water in plastic bottles. Instead they supply those returnable glass bottles with a pop-off metal cap (one assumes the cap is also recyclable but TiT).

About time. 

They were a pain to remove.

Now lets get some real issues done.

Stop the mai pben rai attitude to:

burning,

throwing rubbish anywhere,

bad driving,

corruption,

bad food hygiene.

ahh, that feels better.

Edited by aussie11950
spelling error

2 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

What about the drinking straws comes with the wrap ?   :shock1:

I have more than 20 unused ones at home, even though i tell 7-11 staff not to give , sometimes accidentally they insert in my bag.

Giving two straws rather than just one seems polite in Thai culture.

Thailand needs redefinition of plastic usage.

And what about those useless little plastic spoons that come with every yogurt pot? 

Does looks like paper products like tetra pak and wooden utensils are likely to return in a big way. Raw materials can be from plantation forests like eucalyptus, pine or even rubberwood and palm. Note to self. Buy paper related stocks. 

A good start (albeit small) for using less plastic would be for check out staff in grocery stores to stop using so many plastic bags to bag up people's shopping. I bought a pack of fishermans freind in foodland not a day ago and the checkout worker put it in a plastic bag! 

Where does he get 260,000 km from? 2.6 million seals at, say 10cm each -  that's 260 km. Correct me if wrong.

Any why a year? Why not stop tomorrow?

Clearly the whole thing is propaganda. It's a cover-up for all the important things that are not being done. Therefore it's actually a moral hazard.

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So how will they seal the bottles? Or will they be unsealed so anyone can go in a shop and easily open the bottle and drink from it and put it back.

Ever purchased a pepsi, coke, fanta or other.... Notice that they dont have cap seals.

Ignorance is BLISS!

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I challenge you to tell if a plastic bottle is opened without actually twisting the cap off.  I'm looking at a bottle of Chang water in front of me right now, and there is no way to tell visually.  I have to twist the cap to see if the tabs have been broken.

And that doesn't address the probability that a rat has peed on the cap while crawling all over everything in the delivery truck and store room.

Opened or not?

Chang Water 2.jpg

Looks pretty unopened to me, as all the perforations look intact. Would have to look at it 360 of course, but seems closed to me!

How about getting rid of bottled water too while we are at it? There is nothing wrong with tap water. I have been drinking it for years, and the production of bottled water is so eco unfriendly its unblievable. We need to move away from throw away plastic towards something more hygenic and eco friendly. While we are at it, scrap polythene bags at check outs, or charge for them. They did that in the UK and usage dropped 95%, people have now gone back to envornmentally friendly re-usable shopping baskets the same as my mother used 50 years ago. We are discovering, probably too late that we have gone a long way towards ruining the oceans. I refuse plastic bags when I shop these days......

1 minute ago, DM07 said:

Looks pretty unopened to me, as all the perforations look intact. Would have to look at it 360 of course, but seems closed to me!

They can use a color line marking cap and seal. In case if cap is twisted it could be misplaced.

There are simple logics can save millions of cents. Thailand should organize innovators meet and reward them million baht for saving millions of useless things thrown away for nothing.

4 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So how will they seal the bottles? Or will they be unsealed so anyone can go in a shop and easily open the bottle and drink from it and put it back.

They will be sealed in the same way as the bottles without them are sealed.

If they really want to stop plastic pollution, ban disposable plastic bags and charge for a proper bag, or people can take their own.

10 minutes ago, munchlet said:

How about getting rid of bottled water too while we are at it? There is nothing wrong with tap water. I have been drinking it for years, and the production of bottled water is so eco unfriendly its unblievable. We need to move away from throw away plastic towards something more hygenic and eco friendly. While we are at it, scrap polythene bags at check outs, or charge for them. They did that in the UK and usage dropped 95%, people have now gone back to envornmentally friendly re-usable shopping baskets the same as my mother used 50 years ago. We are discovering, probably too late that we have gone a long way towards ruining the oceans. I refuse plastic bags when I shop these days......

Just because you live in the city...................................

Millions of Thais live in areas without safe tap water.

BTW tell that to the people of Flint!

3 hours ago, MrMo said:

While anything to reduce trash in the environment is good we also need a reduction of trash in the news media.   2.6 million cap seals do not weight 520 tonnes or to simplify it fifty thousand cap seals do not weigh 10 tonnes.

Wherever trash reporting occurs the people end up with trash government.

Maths and journalism do not go together.

520 tonnes of plastic cap seals = 520,000 kilograms

520,000 divided by 2.6 million cap seals means that each cap seal weighs 200 grams. That simply isn't true.

A half litre bottles of water weighs about 550 grams including the water.

That means that these cap seals, weighing 200 grams must be for 100 litre bottles. I don't know about you but I've yet to see 100 litre bottles in Thailand.

20 minutes ago, munchlet said:

Swimming at Jom Tien last year, my feet were constantly entangled in pieces of plastic.  Oceans are full of the stuff, and there's an uninhabited island mid-Pacific where the beaches are covered in plastic and it goes a metre deep into the sand.

A few large complexes in Australia do not issue shopping bags at all.  ALDIs and Bunnings hardware are good examples.   In China, bags must be paid for.  Here in Thailand bags are dumped anywhere.  

46 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Nope.  Pulled it out of my trash (I keep the bottles separate for the apartment staff to recycle), filled it with tap water and put the cap back on.

BTW, after a couple of recent threads, I took a taste of the tapwater.  I'll still use it for cooking, but not for drinking.  Tasted of mildew.

Edit:  That's from a 1.5 liter bottle of Chang water.  Other brands may have better tamper resistant caps.

Edited by impulse