Cap seal to be phased out in Thailand within a year

webfact

Agree 100% with any ban/fee on plastic shopping bags. China and Hong Kong make everyone pay for a plastic bag.  Now most folks there carry own shopping bag.

Someone high in the Thai govt must have a bag factory. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thhMan said:

Ever purchased a pepsi, coke, fanta or other.... Notice that they dont have cap seals.

Ignorance is BLISS!

Carbonated drinks are less easy and more costly to 'replace'... However, in the past there have already been cases of the Water bottles being re-used with 'tap water' to turn a quick profit. 

The issue in places such as Thailand is that there is always some unscrupulous entrepreneur ready to profit (cheat). The plastic seal made this more difficult, this decision makes it more easy. 

I fully support the reducing and ultimately the removal of plastics from our lives. In this case I would like to see an announcement that should unscrupulous resellers take advantage they will be charged to the full extent of the law. 

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

... Or will they be unsealed so anyone can go in a shop and easily open the bottle and drink from it and put it back.

... reminds me of 2 rules from those years long gone:

1) Check the seal, if there isn't any - don't drink the water, someone might have tried to improve his profit by filling the used bottle with tap water

2) Check the ice cubes in your drink - someone might have spared the cost for the ice factory and made it DIY-style with tap water in his freezer

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So how will they seal the bottles? Or will they be unsealed so anyone can go in a shop and easily open the bottle and drink from it and put it back.

They have lil click plastic locks, you know if you no hear click it's not good

17 minutes ago, arakie said:

Finally!  Yes!  

Now, PLEASE ban loud exhausts on motorcycles.  Reduce noise pollution tenfold overnight (and especially at night!!).

Whenever I return to Thai , I go shopping for three bottles of ear plugs, mandatory in Thai.

Edited by Nice Boyd

18 minutes ago, arakie said:

Finally!  Yes!  

Now, PLEASE ban loud exhausts on motorcycles.  Reduce noise pollution tenfold overnight (and especially at night!!).

How about baht busses and taxi's Honking, ridiculous

With no seals the nasty bits (fecal matter) in Thai bottled water can leak out, right?

Guess educating the population about urban living - sanitation - pollution - environment - causes and affects is out of the question.

And yet South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore seem to be able to control pollution!

All the Sky Scrapers - Shopping Malls - Express Ways do not make Thailand a first world country......

6 hours ago, MrMo said:

While anything to reduce trash in the environment is good we also need a reduction of trash in the news media.   2.6 million cap seals do not weight 520 tonnes or to simplify it fifty thousand cap seals do not weigh 10 tonnes.

Wherever trash reporting occurs the people end up with trash government.

I'd be quite surprised if the total's 0.52 tonnes,   but this is distraction news.  If on the other hand this is one part of a larger bill that's being proposed then that may be something,  but again,  the man mentioing  "trash reporting" 's right,  as things like not putting the main part of a story or not bothering to take idiotic information and question it in journalism is the height of negligence.

They could of course all now get jobs at the BBC and talk about how important it is to give five-year-olds hormones and cut their privates off,  as  "transgenerism"  was always more popular down this way than the West.  Why are there no more Thais on  "the world's finest broadcasting company"?

7 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

I think they have much bigger environmental issues to deal with rather than these seals.

The litter issue is outrageous. Bangkok is just one big rubbish dump.

Every little helps!

8 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So how will they seal the bottles? Or will they be unsealed so anyone can go in a shop and easily open the bottle and drink from it and put it back.

The tops have a plastic ring that breaks off when it is open. If it is not attached to the cap DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!

When are they going to discuss putting in some massive drainage infrastructure? They could use a little od anti-littering education though! When driving behind a bus or along the train tracks you see trash being thrown out the windows daily. Maybe they don't know

any better?

11 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Every little helps!

In the USA we had to deal with plastic rings they used to use to sell 6-pack of beer, soda etc, they first did adds on breaking or clipping the rings to prevent wildlife from getting caught in them. Now since 1989, six-pack rings in the USA have been manufactured to be 100 percent photo-degradable, so the plastic will begin to disintegrate in just a few weeks, allowing animals to easily free themselves from the brittle and crumbling rings. 

turtle stuck in plastic ring.jpg

Well, it seems that we've reached paradise. If the only problem of Thailand is those plastic seals ...........

I - for one - will never buy an unsealed water bottle. It makes the faking even easier and, rest assured, the bootleggers are happy about these news. 

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I think Chevron stopped the use of bottle water on their rigs in Thailand as the wastage was obscene. They actually started to ration the bottles and tried to get the guys to refill the bottle to reduce waste. 

We did the same.  But we figured the cost of labor for the guys to refill, keep track of, and clean their reusable water bottles far exceeded the cost of the bottled water plus the cost of disposing of them.  

We still have water coolers in the office and I have to laugh every time I spend $1-2 of the company's time filling my sippee cup (which the maid cleans every night- I can't convince her once a week is fine) instead of pulling a $0.25 bottle of water out of the fridge.

BTW, anybody interested in the technology (and commercial aspects) of packaging like water bottles should go to the ProPak Asia Trade show at BITEC from June 14-17.

www.propakasia.com

http://www.propakasia.com/ppka/2017/en/product_highlights.asp

See how cheap and easy it would be to start refilling plastic water bottles and recap them with brand new caps, for a tiny portion of the money you'd have to spend on brand new water and bottles.  Another reason I like the trademarked heat shrink cap seals.

Edited by impulse

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

We did the same.  But we figured the cost of labor for the guys to refill, keep track of, and clean their reusable water bottles far exceeded the cost of the bottled water plus the cost of disposing of them.  

We still have water coolers in the office and I have to laugh every time I spend $1-2 of the company's time filling my sippee cup (which the maid cleans every night- I can't convince her once a week is fine) instead of pulling a $0.25 bottle of water out of the fridge.

BTW, anybody interested in the technology (and commercial aspects) of packaging like water bottles should go to the ProPak Asia Trade show at BITEC from June 14-17.

www.propakasia.com

See how cheap and easy it would be to start refilling plastic water bottles and recap them with brand new caps, for a tiny portion of the money you'd have to spend on brand new water and bottles.  Another reason I like the trademarked heat sealed cap seals.

it costs $2 to fill a cup from the water cooler ?

9 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i am with you there. i would have though charging for plastic bags would have been the first and more effective move.

Foodmart at Jomtien the worst offender in the world, they even put a plastic bag in a plastic bag, must be doing a great job killing the fish stocks....(The UK is attempting to do away with them completely, back to the 60's when Mum had a shopping bag)  

1 hour ago, jmacken306 said:

The tops have a plastic ring that breaks off when it is open. If it is not attached to the cap DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!

They are called pilfer-proof caps.... 

Edited by Artisi

9 hours ago, jaiyen said:

They are talking about the plastic wrap seal on the outside of the actual cap to the bottle.

The cap itself will have the usual safety seal that will indicate if the bottle has been opened or not.

8 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

They should pass a law that all condominiums must provide unit water filters for each and every unit. I was shocked this wasn't a basic standard.

I recently visited a friend and when leaving I offered to take the garbage to their garbage room and the room was FULL of bottled water bottles.

supposedly the tap water is drinkable