Britain, U.S. deny that Trump state visit delayed

webfact

Britain, U.S. deny that Trump state visit delayed

tag-reuters-1.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump arrives at Newark International airport in Newark, NJ U.S., to spend a weekend at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminister, New Jersey, June 9, 2017. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May's office said on Sunday there had been no change to plans for U.S. President Donald Trump's to come to Britain on a state visit, after the Guardian newspaper reported the trip had been postponed.

The paper, citing an unidentified adviser at May's Downing Street office who was in the room at the time, reported Trump had told May by telephone in recent weeks that he did not want to come if there were likely to be large-scale protests.

"We aren’t going to comment on speculation about the contents of private phone conversations," a spokeswoman for May's office said. "The queen extended an invitation to President Trump to visit the UK and there is no change to those plans."

The White House also denied the Guardian report, with an administration official telling Reuters, "The subject never came up on the call."

No date has been set for the visit, which was agreed during May's visit to Washington in January, but British media had reported it was planned for October.

May's hold on power has been significantly weakened since the results of a snap election last week cost her Conservative Party a parliamentary majority. In a bid to save her position, May has been trying to form a government with Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party, a small faction of social conservatives.

British politics is going through an upheaval just a week before talks begin on Britain's exit from the European Union, set for 2019.

Trump's public criticism this month of London Mayor Sadiq Khan's response to an attack by Islamist militants in London was condemned in Britain. May found herself forced to defend Khan, who is from the opposition Labour party.

At that time, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said there was no reason to cancel the visit, while White House spokesman Sean Spicer said that Trump intended to go and that "he appreciates Her Majesty's gracious invitation".

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan and Estelle Shirbon in London, Doina Chiacu in Washington, and James Oliphant in Branchburg, N.J.; Editing by Kevin Liffey and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-12

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

Trump had told May by telephone in recent weeks that he did not want to come if there were likely to be large-scale protests.

Oh Dear! Stay away then Donald. I would say that large scale protests are not likely, they are certain.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The paper, citing an unidentified adviser at May's Downing Street office who was in the room at the time, reported Trump had told May by telephone in recent weeks that he did not want to come if there were likely to be large-scale protests.

Dear Mr Trump, please come and enjoy the welcome that Britain has in store for you.  Whatever you have heard of the UK's dislike of you is a mere fraction of the actual vitriol that awaits you.  Don't let us down now Donald, grow a backbone and for once face your critics!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

"The queen extended an invitation to President Trump to visit the UK and there is no change to those plans."

As a special treat, Trump will be allowed to walk across London Bridge - alone.

Broadcasted live.

It has been posted here, incorrectly, on other threads that there was a set schedule for this visit.

That was false information.

It has not as yet been set with any specific date.

It may still happen of course, but the combination of trump's sickening insulting tweets in the wake of Manchester, and the big lose for May, does mean there is a lot more uncertainty now. 

Would trump visit if Corbyn was PM? Ha ha. 

I would like to see him visit and I would like to see the expected mass protests.

But I can even understand why trump would want to avoid those bad optics. 

BTW, thanks to  the majority of people in the U.K. that clearly do get that trump is a dangerous clown and worthy of all the protest you can possibly stir up. 

The special relationship is important, but more important now is bringing the USA government back to sanity. Impossible with trump as president. 

Edited by Jingthing

Nixon: China

Clinton: Vietnam

Obama: Cuba

Other presidents broke the mould by visiting former enemies. Trump can't even *plan* a visit to a current friend without it turning into a cheap circus.

Are Trump supporters tired of winning yet?

T

Edited by Thakkar

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

This observation is not original with me but I thought it worth repeating: Trump calls Comey a coward yet because of hostile demonstrators he's afraid of going to the UK.

Trump dodged going to the opening baseball game, and the WH Correspondents' Dinner.  Both are traditions for presidents to attend.   The main reason:  Trump is Chicken Little and can't handle protests with anything better than, "Yea, throw him out. Get him out of here. He should leave here on a stretcher,....."

According the OP, it's the Queen who offers the invitation to the foreigner.  It stands to reason, that it's also up to the Queen to cancel an invitation, if she so chooses.   I had mentioned that in another similar post, and some Brit responded that I had no idea what I was talking about, and that the Queen didn't have a decision in the matter.

37 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Good to see a 'majority' of UK can agree on something. Seems Trump is indeed a Unifier. 

Yea, he's also unified Americans in particular, and people worldwide in general.  The anti-Trump protests, the day after The Divider was sworn in, were the largest collective global protests ever!    

34 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

According the OP, it's the Queen who offers the invitation to the foreigner.  It stands to reason, that it's also up to the Queen to cancel an invitation, if she so chooses.   I had mentioned that in another similar post, and some Brit responded that I had no idea what I was talking about, and that the Queen didn't have a decision in the matter.

The Prime Minister extended the invitation on behalf of the Queen  but it is the Prime Minister who makes all the moves.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It has been posted here, incorrectly, on other threads that there was a set schedule for this visit.

That was false information.

It has not as yet been set with any specific date.

It may still happen of course, but the combination of trump's sickening insulting tweets in the wake of Manchester, and the big lose for May, does mean there is a lot more uncertainty now. 

Would trump visit if Corbyn was PM? Ha ha. 

I would like to see him visit and I would like to see the expected mass protests.

But I can even understand why trump would want to avoid those bad optics. 

BTW, thanks to  the majority of people in the U.K. that clearly do get that trump is a dangerous clown and worthy of all the protest you can possibly stir up. 

The special relationship is important, but more important now is bringing the USA government back to sanity. Impossible with trump as president. 

We are not a good deal better off in the UK to be honest, if you want to talk about snollygosters. The government we have aren't a whole lot better...

10 hours ago, dunroaming said:

The Prime Minister extended the invitation on behalf of the Queen  but it is the Prime Minister who makes all the moves.

Still, if the Queen wanted to call off the invitation, could she not do so?  Plus, there's the issue of Trump openly asking for the full-pomp treatment, including riding in the Royal Carriage with all the dragoons &  Beefeaters (or whatever you call them) in attendance, as if he's the groom in a Royal wedding.  Like Jimmy Cliff said in his famous song, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall, one and all."

9 hours ago, baboon said:

We are not a good deal better off in the UK to be honest, if you want to talk about snollygosters. The government we have aren't a whole lot better...

I don't know much about UK politics, but their leaders can't he half as bad as Trump and his cadre of inepts.  .....unless perhaps UK's leaders are like Turkey's, Syria's, Zimbabwe's or the Fil's. 

Edited by boomerangutang

The Western world really is in trouble when stories like this become the focus of so much attention.

Was it an invitation, what type of invitation was it, was it postponed, was it cancelled, who has the power to do which, what and something else, who asked for what. Honestly.

You'd think  that more people would be more concerned with global terrorism, economies and unemployment, health, population and ageing, environmental matters and a whole lot more.

I think it was Roger Scruton who said (paraphrased): "When the trivial is treated seriously, and the serious is treated as trivial, culture death is a real possibility."

13 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Trump dodged going to the opening baseball game, and the WH Correspondents' Dinner.  Both are traditions for presidents to attend.   The main reason:  Trump is Chicken Little and can't handle protests with anything better than, "Yea, throw him out. Get him out of here. He should leave here on a stretcher,....."

OK then I will start the anti Trump protests

Keep Your Small Hands off our Queen.jpg

3 hours ago, RickBradford said:

The Western world really is in trouble when stories like this become the focus of so much attention.

Was it an invitation, what type of invitation was it, was it postponed, was it cancelled, who has the power to do which, what and something else, who asked for what. Honestly.

You'd think  that more people would be more concerned with global terrorism, economies and unemployment, health, population and ageing, environmental matters and a whole lot more.

I think it was Roger Scruton who said (paraphrased): "When the trivial is treated seriously, and the serious is treated as trivial, culture death is a real possibility."

You have a point, but I think this is more than trivial.

The special relationship between the U.S. and U.K. is a very important one for both parties and also the world.

But now the U.S. has "elected" with a Putin push a distinctively authoritarian style leader more fit for a banana republic than the great American democracy.

The fact there there is tension now about what that means to the relationship which is reflected in the visit and protests about the visit, may be surface stuff, but deeper down there is more to it. 

But I think you're right in the sense that it would be better to talk more about deeper stuff than the surface stuff. 

Edited by Jingthing

Trump should bring 250 of his base Rednecks with him.  Each one can carry a Louisville Slugger baseball bat (made from ash wood), and walk alongside the Royal Procession.   Each time a Brit shouts something offensive, that person can get bashed in the head.   Trump will be shouting from the Royal Coach: "that's right.  Beat 'em up!   Carry 'em out on a stretcher!  Go for it, boys!"

• 4 weeks later...
Trump should bring 250 of his base Rednecks with him.  Each one can carry a Louisville Slugger baseball bat (made from ash wood), and walk alongside the Royal Procession.   Each time a Brit shouts something offensive, that person can get bashed in the head.   Trump will be shouting from the Royal Coach: "that's right.  Beat 'em up!   Carry 'em out on a stretcher!  Go for it, boys!"
Kind of like Erdogan did in D. C.