Pakistan sentences man to death for blasphemy on Facebook

webfact

12 hours ago, tonray said:

It's as black and white as it can be. You don't give aid and support to human rights abusers. Period. We never learn...Pakistan's own system of religious schools (madrassas) is the reason they are fighting Islamist. Pakistan for years supported the Taliban rule in Afghanistan, they are not our friends in any way, shape or form.

Maybe better to retain a measure of influence (or relevance), considering this one is a nuclear capable country. They might not be "our" BFF's but beats another NK.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Classic examples in some posts on this thread of why the World will never be at peace and why we can never concentrate on tackling poverty, crime, corruption, disease, starvation, economic disparities and social deprivations that blight mankind.

"There beliefs are superstition, out dated, have no place in the world today, and they should't believe what they want to. No sir. But our beliefs are superior, based on our vastly superior knowledge, intelligence, as proven by our vastly superior cultures, honesty, tolerant ethical utopias".

Some very educated people think there is so much we don't understand, about ourselves. Others prefer to think we reached the pinnacle of human development - but then again many in every age think that!

Saying others must accept your views, because their views are wrong and intolerant.  Oh the irony.

There's intolerance, and then there's sentencing a man to death over blasphemy charges. Doesn't sound same same to me.

6 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Is the "civilized" world really ahead of the 3rd/Developing world though?

Is development linear, or is it circular in nature?

I'd go with Octagonal. It's a nice shape.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

of course they are! not only biased but generalising and utmost arrogant looking back at the last couple of thousand years history of the so-called civilised nations which is littered with wars, genocide, intolerance, suppression of religions and theft not only of countries but of whole continents from indigenous people.

i wholeheartedly side with the comments of "wonderfulday".

Guess the missing bit was "at this point in time". Everyone got skeletons in their closet.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:13 AM, darksidedog said:

Blasphemy is as outdated as that which we can't mention or post about. Just yesterday there was a discussion about Sharia law and how it integrated, or didn't, with Western society. Clearly it doesn't. These people are ignorant savages, living in the Dark Ages. I don't think even the utter crackpots from the Westboro Baptist church advocate death for blasphemy.

Did you know that there exist countries in the West who have blasphemy Laws?

Not use the name of God (whoever that is) in vain.

Granted, you won't get the death sentence but that's not the point.

The point is that they or it exist in the West also, in 2017. :post-4641-1156693976:

1 hour ago, bandito said:

The point is that they or it exist in the West also, in 2017. :post-4641-1156693976:

In which Western nation is it a criminal offense to use God's name in vain?

Did you know that your not allowed to wear a suit of armour into Parliament ? this law was made in 1313 and has never been repealed , would you get the death sentence for it today?

darksidedog's comment was hardly a red card now was it bandito ?

Ironic that it's something like FB that ends up in the brutal repression toolbox.  Dictators, autocrats, theocrats could hardly ask for a better butchers knife.  And the best part is, the silly sheep sign up for it themselves and THEN charge hell bent for leather to paint themselves on the horizon!!

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Well, according to this, at least as of 2002, blasphemy was a crime in the UK

Taking God's name in vain

Blasphemy is no longer thought to be "worse than murder". Yet it remains a crime to blaspheme, and the old profane oaths, stripped of any literal sense, still serve us as expletives.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/jan/17/londonreviewofbooks

Pakistan is enemy number 2, right after Saudi Arabia. They are both two faced beyond imagination. Blasphemy? Ridiculous. The only people who are even concerned about blasphemy are very small men, who are terribly insecure, and have no lives, living a life completely devoid of joy, happiness, and fulfillment. Living in a constant state of fear and paranoia. Astonishing degrees of intolerance. Ridiculous people, living in fear of each other, paranoid about someone saying something that is interpreted as being negative about one's prophet? Those same people convict and sentence to death someone who converts to another faith? Get a life! And you call this a reasonable society and we call them an ally? They are not only not our ally, they are responsible for a substantial amount of the world's terror. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Public enemy number #1 and #2. Despot nations. 

Edited by spidermike007

23 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

See the reaction of Skeptic7- Ireland.

Netherlands and Nordic countries.

One can get heavily fined for that, by Law.

If it gets enforced is not the point.

The point is that these Laws exist in these and most other Western countries.

3 hours ago, bandito said:

Only even when they do exist, they are rarely a "thing" and never death sentence material. Them differences.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Morch said:

Only even when they do exist, they are rarely a "thing" and never death sentence material. Them differences.

Is what I said, no death sentences but sometimes heavy fines.

The point is that these Laws also exist in Western countries.

On 6/14/2017 at 8:26 AM, bandito said:

I don;t agree. There are loads of outdated laws n the books in every country that haven't been removed that would never be held up in a court of law. For example, there are laws about stealing horses in the USA... with extremely severe sentences mandated. But now I am 100% positive life in prison or similar would not be the sentencing for anyone convicted of horse theft. 

Well thankfully, Thailand isn't as bad as Pakistan, when it comes to criminalizing people for using FB.   But Thailand is heading that direction.     Does Pakistan also criminalize people for simply clicking 'like' on a blurb?   Thailand does.   Birds of a feather........

On 6/14/2017 at 8:26 AM, bandito said:

Its also still the law that its treason the put the Queens head upside down on a stamp in Britain ,cant wear a suit of armour into parliament , where by the way its illegal to die .

now how many of these laws are still enforced today?

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Its also still the law that its treason the put the Queens head upside down on a stamp in Britain ,cant wear a suit of armour into parliament , where by the way its illegal to die .

now how many of these laws are still enforced today?

It is also illegal, in Thailand, for a farang to set lead type for a Thai newspaper.  (some may recall, a long time ago, each newspaper had type-setters who spent hours meticulously stringing together tiny pieces of lead type).

5 hours ago, bandito said:

Is what I said, no death sentences but sometimes heavy fines.

The point is that these Laws also exist in Western countries.

When these sort of things occur in the West, we get Man Bites Dog stories. When these sort of things occur in other places (such as the OP), consequences can be dire. It's one thing to have antiquated leftover laws no one seriously cares about, and then there's the attitude described in the OP. Not same same. Not much of a point, either.

1 minute ago, Minnie the Minx said:

This sums it up for me. There are surely more important things to be concerned about than blasphemy on social media, get your priorities straight here.

微信图片_20170617145708.jpg

Sort of like covering up scantly clad singers...

The Life of Brian clip on blasphemy also comes to mind. This is the end result of what religions dish out. Dark ages stuff.

There is a discussion on this on another channel and some loon put a fatwa on me for having the 'cheek' to say it was Dark Ages and posting that pic.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

3 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

The Life of Brian clip on blasphemy also comes to mind. This is the end result of what religions dish out. Dark ages stuff.

There is a discussion on this on another channel and some loon put a fatwa on me for having the 'cheek' to say it was Dark Ages and posting that pic.

Oooh, how cool. You are now in the same club as Salman Rushdie, can you give me the name of the forum you were on because I want a fatwa as well. Pretty please  :wink:

...you can put anything you like on me as long as the fatwa goes with my heels and dress.These random fatwas are a little odd.

Enjoy your day. There is nothing in my content pic that is not true.

Edited by Minnie the Minx