Man freed after 17 years in US prison after lookalike found

webfact

Man freed after 17 years in prison after lookalike found

KANSAS CITY: -- A man has been released from a Kansas prison after serving 17 years for a crime he didn’t commit, after his lookalike was found.

Richard Anthony Jones was sentenced to 19 years for a 1999 aggravated robbery he has always maintained he didn’t commit.

Jones was found guilty of the robbery in a Walmart based on eyewitness evidence. There was no physical or DNA evidence linking him to the crime.

Jones tried to have his conviction appealed but each effort was denied. 

Full story: https://www.rt.com/viral/391868-man-freed-17-years-lookalike/

-- RT 2017-06-12

Wow! I thought the wheels of justice moved slowly here. You have to say there is a spooky resemblance between him and the other guy. I hope he gets a very nice compensation package, though nothing can give you back 17 years of your life. Good luck Richard.

13 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I believe there are a lot of people in US jails and prisons that did not do what they were charged/convicted of doing.

not sure about that but I am convinced that there are likely some currently in government who should be in prison 

His alibi and lawyer must have been pretty weak, and he must have had a history, but still, 17 years, that's hardcore, I think an investigation should be launched into every conviction the arresting police officers made, who knows how many others are in there serving time for something they didn't do ?

Just goes to show witnesses can sometimes be wrong, but how close looking are these two, makes you wonder how they ballsed up.

Gotta feel for the dude, 17 years never to be replaced, wow, really sad......

Edited by 4MyEgo

You're right, government misconduct is one of the reasons many people are in jail/prison that should not be.

Related to this OP:

Incorrect identification by eyewitnesses was a factor in over 70% of wrongful convictions.  That is scary.

Explore the Innocence Project website or just look them up on Wikipedia.  - "The Innocence Project's mission is to free the staggering number of innocent people who remain incarcerated, and to bring reform to the system responsible for their unjust imprisonment."

The work of the Innocence Project has led to the freeing of 343 wrongfully convicted people based on DNA, including 20 who spent time on death row, and the finding of 147 real perpetrators.

Keeping in mind, this is just one organization with a very long waiting list.