Video: Policeman unfazed as motorist hands over "red Driving License"

webfact

Video: Policeman unfazed as motorist hands over "red Driving License"

6pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

BANGKOK: -- The Thai public had an online field day poking fun at police corruption after a traffic cop was caught on tape seemingly accepting a bribe.

The video showed the motorist responding to the cop's request for his license by handing over a 100 baht note instead.

The note was gratefully received with no apparent receipt forthcoming though the video ended after just a few seconds.

TNews mirrored online comments by screaming sarcastically that they didn't realize that Thai driving licenses were red.

The short clip that appeared to have been made by the driver himself appeared on Facebook on a page called "Baep Nee Ko Day Reu?"

Perhaps continuing the sarcasm that could be translated as "Does this really happen?"

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-12

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, the guest said:

When you witness images like this, it is apparent there is something seriously wrong with the country. 

Wrong? Was claimed to be a normal and acceptable behaviour by a Thai PM 15 years ago...

• Like 1

I remember last year or so they announced a new law where the one who tried to bribe a policeofficer on duty would get a very hefty fine if caught. It was one of the crackdowns from last year.

And now this guy even puts his own movies of bribing a policeman on internet?

Did they already forgot their own new laws?

this idea that the police need to illegally supplement their income through corruption and therefore is acceptable is just plain stupid.

If you want to pay the police more, then great, increase their salaries, but that won't stop the corruption until it's illegal.

Take away the bonus commission for every ticket written as well and you'll see far less corruption.

26 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well i am sure many of us have done the same. i handed over 1000thb on the express way when a cop said my pickup was overloaded due to a single box tied down in the back. god knows where i would have gone to pay the fine to get my licence back. the system of paying the cops directly is far more efficient and the money all goes to the same place. problem is where some people seem to think it is corrupt and are making a bigger job for everyone.

I'm with you and  pray for the day when people are upset enough about their principles being violated they forthwith attend the nearest station and demand to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I thought this forum was supposed to issue stories that are actually news? I mean, it's not as if this doesn't happen hundreds of times a day here is it?

A copper turning the money down and insisting on the license, would have been news!

I realised just now that I have obviously been here too long and become way too pessimistic. My expectations of the cops are so low that I said it would be news if he refused the money and insisted on seeing the license. Then is struck me, REAL News, and what really should have happened, would have been the policeman arresting the driver for attempted bribery. That would really make me sit up and pay attention. Probably too old to see it in my lifetime though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I realised just now that I have obviously been here too long and become way too pessimistic. My expectations of the cops are so low that I said it would be news if he refused the money and insisted on seeing the license. Then is struck me, REAL News, and what really should have happened, would have been the policeman arresting the driver for attempted bribery. That would really make me sit up and pay attention. Probably too old to see it in my lifetime though.

once in a lifetime

For a serial lead footed driver (in the old days, not here in Thailand) I am happy that there is a way to keep my license. I used to have to move every 3 years or so because I was getting too many points and would lose my license if I stayed. 

So if it might be possible to pay an on the spot fine I would just smile, in the bad old days I would be looking at 100-200 dollar ticket and another 3 points on my license. In the US I stopped counting after I had been pulled over 110 times and paid 36 tickets.

Here, no worries.

This is tough one.

I'm against corruption. But when you're stopped and quoted 500 Baht fine, will you pay 500 Baht with receipt or will you hand over 200 Baht? :unsure: Maybe pay 500 Baht to stand your point. First time. What if you're stopped like this every week. And everytime call out on some rule, that police office just made himself up. Standing your point? :ermm:

6 minutes ago, smccolley said:

For a serial lead footed driver (in the old days, not here in Thailand) I am happy that there is a way to keep my license. I used to have to move every 3 years or so because I was getting too many points and would lose my license if I stayed. 

So if it might be possible to pay an on the spot fine I would just smile, in the bad old days I would be looking at 100-200 dollar ticket and another 3 points on my license. In the US I stopped counting after I had been pulled over 110 times and paid 36 tickets.

Here, no worries.

Agreed, it does have its upsides. I once got knobbed in the uk for speeding on an empty dual carriageway doing 70 (actually closer to 90 but I was not arguing) in a 50 limit. Got six f points and a THB 22k fine. Far prefer the local enforcement process. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well i am sure many of us have done the same. i handed over 1000thb on the express way when a cop said my pickup was overloaded due to a single box tied down in the back. god knows where i would have gone to pay the fine to get my licence back. the system of paying the cops directly is far more efficient and the money all goes to the same place. problem is where some people seem to think it is corrupt and are making a bigger job for everyone.

It says it on the slip of paper you get where you have to go and pay the fine. Usually the district where you got pulled up by the police. If a highway police officer, then the closest highway station to where you got stopped. The fine goes back into the budget to develop the country (like in Western countries). Not into the police officer's pocket, like if you pay on the side of the road. Many of us like to ignorantly believe that Thai is more corrupt than it is. It is extremely corrupt, just not as corrupt as us 'farang' think. Why do you think police are so eager to get the money on the side of the road? Even if it something as little as 100 baht? Why not wait to get the bigger fine at the station? As they know they wont get it back at the station.

Where corruption lessens the job for everyone is if you are stopped miles away from your home. As you will need to wait or come back to pick up your license. All they need is an online payment system (and other ideas previously mentioned) and there will be less corruption. 

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why not start an undercover operation where undercover cops go out for such cops and get them on tape, oh sorry, forgot where I was for a moment.

My brother-in-law is a Thai cop and worked investigating corruption in the police.  Lasted about six months before the whole unit was closed down and he went back to enjoying the perks of the job with the rest of them!

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why not start an undercover operation where undercover cops go out for such cops and get them on tape, oh sorry, forgot where I was for a moment.

They do it, the people in that unit just find it difficult to remain in the unit. The first few years they will get things such as drug dealers who have been allowed to run a muck (paying police off), but after a while they will realise they are not making any friends in the force so will resort to conventional ways. Each city has one Mayor usually also who looks over the police, but natually the Mayor's focus will be on his own responsibilities. It is why police let other government jobs (teachers, nurses, army, municipality workers etc) off most of the time when they are stopped, a complaint from other government officers actually carries weight. 

Just need tighter systems, higher pay, bigger penalties. Cant see it happening in the immediate future. 

• Like 1