Tool that fell off Red Line construction site "just your everyday accident" says Skytrain official

webfact

Tool that fell off Red Line construction site "just your everyday accident" says Skytrain official

sk.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A tool that fell off the Red Line Skytrain during construction was dismissed as just an everyday accident by an official quoted by Daily News.

The implement - actually a kind of trowel used to smooth cement - fell onto the Nissan car of Thanakrit Thanomkiatkorn, 35, yesterday morning.

Thanakrit was driving in the Viphawadee Rangsit local road area at the time. The tool smashed and was embedded in his windscreen and also damaged his vehicle's roof.

But the unnamed spokesman for the company doing the construction just said: "It's quite normal to have accidents during construction. We will take responsibility for everything".

Local police have called in both parties to ensure that proper restitution is made.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-13

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Italian Thai once again have a potentially lethal incident.

I wonder how many deaths have happened while working with this company throughout the years in Thailand. 

Edited by missoura

Just now, missoura said:

I wonder how many deaths have happened with this company throughout the years in Thailand.

Far too many, but they are by no means alone in their safety record, just in the news right now.

Apparently the "tool" in question passed through the safety net, all I can say is the net must have a pretty large mesh.

Yet another example of the total disregard for safety on construction sites in Thailand.  Until the authorities strictly enforce safety, we'll continue to read about these types of accidents.  Does someone have to die (again) before this problem is taken seriously?

Back in the day when the BTS was being built, I can remember many accidents occurring, seemingly on a weekly basis. A few years back there were about a dozen Cambodians killed in Samut Prakarn while working for this company. As Trink would have said, TIT.

So whilst looking up for 365 days in the event i may miss being injured or killed i may need to open a company & employ 4 staff for them to look in every other direction N /E/W & maybe even sth - no a dangerous place at all now that im covered

'It's quite normal to have accidents during construction. We will take responsibility for everything"'

We're in LoS, where far too many 'accidents' would be seen in many countries as abnormal. 

And if the morons were taking responsibility in the first place, there would be far fewer incidents attributable to their irresponsibility. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Far too many, but they are by no means alone in their safety record, just in the news right now.

Apparently the "tool" in question passed through the safety net, all I can say is the net must have a pretty large mesh.

Should have been using fishing net. 

3 hours ago, rickb said:

Yet another example of the total disregard for safety on construction sites in Thailand.  Until the authorities strictly enforce safety, we'll continue to read about these types of accidents.  Does someone have to die (again) before this problem is taken seriously?

Well said:  '....Until the authorities strictly enforce safety, we'll continue to read about these types of accidents....'

So where's the regular monitoring? Just more government authorities / officers not doing the jobs they are paid to do!

To be fair.... crossy's pictures show that the contractors have gone to some lengths to install more safety systems than seems "usual" for thailand

yes... more can be done.... more can always be done, if they pay, such as solid barricading above vehicular or pedestrian traffic (I doubt re routing traffic is an option, as in some other countries)

and... it's been my experience that contractors have safety "forced" on them more by insurance companies, than any other outside pressures. (Premiums / insurability.... safety costs money).... so don't expect changes until safety becomes a cheaper option than litigation

internal pressures often take the form of the companies desire to maintain a "reputation" .... obviously not a priority in these parts....  coupled with holding companies, company directors and servants criminally and financially accountable

Suggesting that government regulators should do more, in this country, is laughable..... and if there are government regulators, (these seem lacking to me) there are far more pressing matters that need dealing with (close scrutiny and oversight) than a company that is actually doing something about safety.... eg... police functionality.... public transport.... corruption.... etc

Personally, I would take the initiative myself, by detouring the worksite, much like I never drive or ride beside a truck or bus ( and that includes in Australia), other than to overtake.

28 minutes ago, farcanell said:

To be fair.... crossy's pictures show that the contractors have gone to some lengths to install more safety systems than seems "usual" for thailand

Ch3 news just showed images of a hole punched through the netting, evidently the net wasn't up to the task.

From a UK Public Information Film (1970s) -  If anyone has the actual clip please post :smile:

Sir Isaac Newton told us why
An apple falls down from the sky
And from this fact, it's very plain,
All other objects do the same
A brick, a bolt, a bar, a cup,
Invariably fall down, not up
And every common working tool
Is governed by the self-same rule
So when you handle tools up there,
Let your watchword be, "Take Care!"
If at work, you drop a spanner,
It travels in a downward manner
At work, a fifth of accidents or more,
Illustrate old Newton's law
But one thing he forgot to add,
The damage won't be half as bad
If you are wearing proper clothes,
Especially on your head and toes
These hats and shoes are there to save
The wearer from an early grave
So best feet forward and take care
About the kind of shoes you wear
It's better to be sure, than dead,
So get a hat and keep your head

Don't think to go without is brave;
The effects of gravity can be grave.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

"It's quite normal to have accidents during construction. We will take responsibility for everything".

So if the tool would have killed someone  ,  it's just normal for them ?  

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ch3 news just showed images of a hole punched through the netting, evidently the net wasn't up to the task.

Lol... evidently.

i had the feeling that it may have fallen thru a "gap" in the mesh, but I suppose a sharp ended tool would make its own gap (defendant on length of fall)

in the normal world, sites like this might install 50mm X 50mm steel mesh, in addition to what looks like sunshade mesh.

but ... what price safety? (obviously more than has been allowed)

direct compensation to victims  (plus financially punitive penalties) will not outweigh the cost of increased safety measures (in this country.... as things stand)....but  they must, to encourage a higher standard... else nothing will change.