Thai maids throwing your stuff away

Hal65

1 hour ago, pcliff069 said:

Only one answer. Buy a safe big enough to put all these things in.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

I took this idea and ran with it. I now live in a safe room with a bank vault door as the entrance. Maid comes, dusts off the front and leaves. Never had any problems since, does smell a bit in here though

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Who needs to have a maid? Can you not sweep the floor and tidy up by yourself?

tell you what, you clean your own floors and toilet, i will happily outsource.

i did have a run on lost cutlery, but discovered that it was largely my own fault for leaving spoons etc in the take out containers after i finished eating.

a simple conversation and adjustment of my own behavior remedied the issue.

as for things being thrown out, quite the contrary, i discover the essentially unused maids room in my house contained years worth of unwanted or discarded items, boxes bags etc that i had asked be disposed of that has instead lingered on for all eternity.

9 minutes ago, thaibaz said:

I took this idea and ran with it. I now live in a safe room with a bank vault door as the entrance. Maid comes, dusts off the front and leaves. Never had any problems since, does smell a bit in here though

pay that lol 45 (9 x 5)

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

"throw away"?.....allow me some doubts that they were thrown!!...or can you be 100% sure that they were thrown????

Yes,  she may be a member of a gang that specializes in the business of  fencing disgusting and worn-out kitchenware. If the O/P has photos of the missing items, possibly photocopies could be taped to utility poles to alert the public to report any sightings.

broom.jpg.5efd4042370464b726dc1767a1a03067.jpgIf you see this broom, notify police gang unit.

Edited by Suradit69

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit of a daft question... 

Do you cook all your own meals and never eat out ??

Yes I do and we eat out rarely.

I even make much of my own western style food.

My parents were working class and never had a maid.

25 years in the RAF taught me to be self sufficient and even after I married the first time we never had a maid.

Working offshore I never had a maid unless you count the ladies who serviced the hotel rooms and apartments that I lived in but they were not employed by me.

I live in rural Thailand now and I still don't have a maid.

Having said that, perhaps in the future when I am unable to cope my Thai wife will do a bit more. We are also teaching our 12 year old son to become self sufficient too so that when he leaves home he can look after himself.

I do have a bit of a problem sewing now as my eyes and fingers aren't up to threading needles as easily as before.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

We recently bought 3 breakfast bar stools with chrome base.

They had those stubborn thai stickers on the base, our maid tried to clean them off with those green scourers.

You can imagine what the chrome looked like afterwards.

:1zgarz5:

Even though a maid is necessary from time to time, I solved the issue with 2 cleaning robots. One that vacuums and another that washes the floor. Never regreted the purchases!

By experience, with a maid or construction workers be it in Thailand or anywhere else in the world, you just need to be around to supervise...if not, forget it or be prepared for annoying situations.

iRobot Braava for washing the floor

Neato for vacuum

47 minutes ago, KelSolaar said:

He wasn't moaning. And even if he was, he'd be entitled to? Maybe you like wasting your time traipsing round shops....

I hope your comment was an innocent quip, and not directed solely  at me.

Paraplegics cannot walk .

After a lifetime of managing employees who spoke my own language, the last thing I wanted to do in Thailand was manage domestic employees who didn't speak English.

It's way much easier to live in a 110 sq. mt. condo that has everything a retired couple would need, and spend 1/2 day per week cleaning than to deal with all the drama associated with having strangers in our home.  Hubby has this really dynamic CD collection and we just let it rock while we clean together.  The cats are terrified.  

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes,  she may be a member of a gang that specializes in the business of  fencing disgusting and worn-out kitchenware. If the O/P has photos of the missing items, possibly photocopies could be taped to utility poles to alert the public to report any sightings.

broom.jpg.5efd4042370464b726dc1767a1a03067.jpgIf you see this broom, notify police gang unit.

Congratulations.

You never miss an opportunity for Farang bashing, do you?

Oh well. if that gives meaning to your life, why not?

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Who needs to have a maid? Can you not sweep the floor and tidy up by yourself?

True.

But please allow me to be witty & slightly off topic.

Neil is an old hippy too.

Please forgive him.

And me.

unless you are sure the house-staff took something worth selling and indeed sold it, don't worry about it.
The perception of staff what you should wear and keep in line with your employers' status, is maybe somewhat different than yours.
Over the years I lost shoes, two weeks old I think Clarks', because they were so dirty and looked scruffy (no more fashionable shoes for me);
shirts, that should have been thrown away anyway after someone decided to wash red socks as well ; socks with holes in it;
the mrs.' Jeans with holes that burned a hole in my pocket, (not criticizing someone that wants to look beautiful, just saying); 
dirty towels; foto-albums; and probably many things I did not notice.
A past replace-by date cutting board..... probably a good idea to replace it with a clean one anyway, many micro cuts and chips for bugs to breed.

Although we are mainly talking about theft so far, it was not the first thing that came to mind. I though it was cultural differences:

"He broom / cutting board not look nice time to throw away"

or

"He have no lady to push him to replace so I throw away now"

I really felt #2 going on in her mind when she cut the plastic off my weight bench.

I'm not upset or anything, I just want to understand these folks as I live in their country after all.

12 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Although we are mainly talking about theft so far, it was not the first thing that came to mind. I though it was cultural differences:

or

I really felt #2 going on in her mind when she cut the plastic off my weight bench.

I'm not upset or anything, I just want to understand these folks as I live in their country after all.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I just want to understand these folks as I live in their country after all.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The sooner you give up on that quest, the sooner you will have a chance to be happy.

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

I hope your comment was an innocent quip, and not directed solely  at me.

Paraplegics cannot walk .

I don't know you, but I assume what you are now trying to tell me is that you are a paraplegic?

Either way my comment wasn't directed at you. It wasn't a 'quip' either. Also, you'd have to go to great lengths to contrive that it was possibly directed at you because you're a paraplegic. I clearly don't know you're a paraplegic, and 'traipsing' around shops isn't limited to able-bodied people.

However, if you are a 'paraplegic' as you seem to be telling me, surely you, of all people, could emphasize with the OP; knowing that every time he has to take an extra trip to the shops it's a massive pain in the a*se. (Sorry if you don't possess an a*se, comment not 'directed solely at you').

Edited by KelSolaar

I assume, OP is living in a Hotel or Rented Apartment. So all they can do is throw out his "stuff".

An other thing it would be, (not having taken certain precautions beforehand), him being thrown out of his House by  Wife/GF/.:smile:

So never mind brooms, clipboards, socks etc...
Cheers.

16 hours ago, thaipod said:

Lets start a new topic....My maid damaged my stuff. I have a lot of those stories.

My favorite is with bleach.  Every time we change housekeepers, I lose a bunch of colored clothes as they figure out what bleach is and how it works.

Problem is that the Chinese GF always gets into squabbles and runs them off while I'm overseas.

Edited by impulse

On 14/06/2017 at 8:41 PM, Hal65 said:

or

If you can afford a maid, then you can afford to buy a new broom and a cutting board to replace the junk the maid threw away.

You complain yet you`re probably got this maid at bargain rates as likely you could not afford a maid in your own country. How much do you pay your maid and how many hours does she work for you?

30 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If you can afford a maid, then you can afford to buy a new broom and a cutting board to replace the junk the maid threw away.

You complain yet you`re probably got this maid at bargain rates as likely you could not afford a maid in your own country. How much do you pay your maid and how many hours does she work for you?

For me, it's not about the cost of what they bin.  It's about the nuisance of finding the stuff they have "put in its proper place" and the frustration of looking for half an hour then finding out they did, in fact, bin what I've wasted all that time looking for.  

After 15 years of it, it's just another part of the Asian Adventure.

Why is the cost of hiring a maid back home relevant to expecting an employee to follow instructions anywhere in the world?

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Problem is that the Chinese GF always gets into squabbles and runs them off while I'm overseas.

That is absolute standard for the Chinese of any nationality. They have no idea of how to treat maids or domestics or staff of any kind.

In Singapore now, you have to attend a school on how to treat you maids if you are having one for the first time. Mind you, as soon as they leave the class all is forgotten.

My sympathies.

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

My sympathies.

I appreciate your sympathy, I do.

But I made my own bed on this deal...

Edit:  I think she's finally snapping to the fact that the replacement sent by the agency is probably not going to be any better than the one she's about to fire.  The only reason I pay a housekeeper is that she has health problems and I like the idea that someone looks in on her every day.

Edited by impulse

8 hours ago, impulse said:

For me, it's not about the cost of what they bin.  It's about the nuisance of finding the stuff they have "put in its proper place" and the frustration of looking for half an hour then finding out they did, in fact, bin what I've wasted all that time looking for.  

After 15 years of it, it's just another part of the Asian Adventure.

Why is the cost of hiring a maid back home relevant to expecting an employee to follow instructions anywhere in the world?

Because some Farlangs that come to stay in Thailand are under the impression that we are still living back in the colonial days, expecting complete subservience from their native servants for a pittance, mostly for reasons to show off on the social media how much they`ve come up in the world from their average working class lifestyles back in their own countries. All this pettiness about a maid is just a means of trying to convince us that these people are hi so, some kind of hierarchy among the expats, that actually becomes cringe worthy and has the opposite affect of being non impressive and are the types I`ve been unfortunate to meet here that I can`t stand.

When people employ a maid, they should ask them selves a very simple question.

When these girls were at school and asked what they wanted to be when they left and started work, do you honestly think any of them said "I want to be a maid working for a sweaty, ungrateful farang"?

They do this so that they can put rice on their families table. No one wants to be a maid, it is just that it is the only work some of them can find.

9 hours ago, Flustered said:

When people employ a maid, they should ask them selves a very simple question.

When these girls were at school and asked what they wanted to be when they left and started work, do you honestly think any of them said "I want to be a maid working for a sweaty, ungrateful farang"?

That's exactly the reason I only employ ladyboys as my maid. They are very open to "change" and compromises.

11 hours ago, Flustered said:

They do this so that they can put rice on their families table. No one wants to be a maid, it is just that it is the only work some of them can find.

You could say that about many jobs- and be just as wrong.  Or just as right.

Some people love their jobs, though it's not the life they planned, and not a life we'd aspire to.  And some people with high paying, high powered jobs are more miserable than maids who aren't on call 24/7, chained to a cell phone, or worried about next quarter's numbers.

Lots of maids become virtual family members, with all the love that comes from being that close.  Can't say that about any of the outfits I've ever worked for...  They'd let us go in a heartbeat if it meant $0.50 more on next month's income statement.