DLT and army using entrapment to snare Uber drivers in Pattaya

webfact

5 hours ago, charmonman said:

A foreign company? SO WHY DON'T THEY OUTLAW MACDONALDS AND KFC THEN?

As far as I know in Thailand McDonalds and KFC are majority Thai-owned companies who licence the brand etc from the foreign parent. Few if any foreign companies operate here without being part of a majority Thai-owned company structure, though some US companies may under the Amity treaty.

So in that respect the foreign parents of those companies are indeed outlawed, just like farang land ownership.

Thailand is very protectionist.

On 2017-6-14 at 8:58 AM, KittenKong said:

I never use taxis or Uber here but I think the point about Uber is that the app tells you the price before the driver even comes to you. Given that official drivers in Pattaya never seem to use their meters the Uber system would be an improvement on that.

In the UK you can buy proper legal insurance to use a vehicle for private hire (which is what Uber is). Not sure if the insurance companies sell it here though, or if many Uber vehicle owners bother to buy it.

Yes,it's called hire and reward. I wouldn't think that the insurance companies would provide it. If it did,then any somchai could be a ' mini cab' Can you imagine how much the crime rate would rise? Abductions, rapes,etc. The taxi Mafia will never relinquish possession of this golden goose

21 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Fix the problem it's the TAXI's that are the issue.

As far as Uber is concerned I deleted the APP and will never use that company again after the gouged travelers in London during the recent events. To hell with them and if there was a hotline I'd report Uber drivers.

They announced that they would refund all of the fares of those concerned and claim to have switch off the dynamic system as soon as they were informed of the situation.

14 hours ago, Internatltraveler said:

It continues to amuse me to read responses to these articles from people who have no earthly idea what they are talking about. Here are some facts abouy Uber.

1. It is the largest taxi company in the world now and is making lots of organized mafia controlled companies very uncomfortable because of their rapid and cheaper service. What is wrong with this anyway? Any taxi driver can quit his low paying job and become an Uber driver anywhere in the world where it is legal, so rather than complaining and saying they are taking business away, join them...much better deal for all concerned.

2. Uber carries a $3 million liability coverage policy on all of its drivers. So for those of you talking about them being uninsured, well, you really do not know what you are talking about. There is no taxi company, that I am aware of, in the world who carries this high limit of liability coverage for its drivers. I would say that is a fairly responsible business strategy and much more ethical than most taxi companies with their low limits of coverage.

3. Uber requies high limit individual coverage be carried by its drivers. In the USA, that is a limit of $300,000/$100,000 being $300K for total per accident and $100K per individual in that accident. So what say you nay sayers of wrong information again? Guess that does not suit your arguments either, right? It also required all vehicles to be well maintained, clean and well cared for in order to even become a driver.

4. Uber does not employ drivers. It subcontracts with them. That makes them legally self employed. So for the government to say they are a foreign owned business, well that is right and wrong also. It is more accurate for the government to take the position that these drivers may not be properly licensed to conduct a business in Thailand, and that is a legitimate comment. But let's get our facts straight.

So many of us talk about all the cheating of taxis, poor service and corruption of taxi drivers in Thailand and when a decent new concept company that offers rapid and courteous service, known fees prior to boarding into the taxi without having to negotiate, being capable of paying with credit card, rather than cash you, and heavily insured in case of an accident,  complain using misinformation and normal groveling that this site is known for.

By the way, Uber takes a small amount (I think it is $1 or $2 per ride from its drivers) to pay for their $3 million dollar liability coverage...Great idea I would say..or would you also argue with this business model.

So Uber is a well run company, breaking the rules of old taxi businesses all over the world that is literally corrupt, too expensive, slow often in getting to a customer and then can you trust the route they take if you do not know the area because in the 30 or so countries I have lived and/or traveled through they tend to take advantage of riders lack of knowledge to run the meter up, if they even use a meter....

So before you start spewing garbage about one more item you know nothing about, why not do a little research and become correctly informed so we would respect your arguments! What an idea that would be...or just continue running off your opinions with toxic comments and total lack of knowledge of what is being said! I challenge you to become informed consumers rather than just detractors and devisive opinionated naysayers.

What I am sure is that Uber is rich enough to pay people for lobbying and spamming all over the world...

On 2017-6-14 at 8:29 AM, Peterw42 said:

Good to see, maybe the same approach could be used to catch illegal short term renters.

I still dont get the whole uber thing, people use the argument that normal taxi's dont use their meters, Uber taxi's dont have meters. At least with a normal Taxi, there is a level of licensing and insurance etc, an uber car there is no idea if the driver is licensed or the car insured.

I can see an instance in the future where someones travel insurance claim will be refused because they were traveling in an illegal taxi, not licensed or insured to carry passengers

"At least with a normal Taxi, there is a level of licensing and insurance etc, an uber car there is no idea if the driver is licensed or the car insured" .... are you really that naive? I have, several times in the past, got Pattaya taxis to take me to the airport ... no id card on display, no tax sticker on the window, took me as far as Sukhumvit north Pattaya and tried to offload me into his "friends" private car .... believe me, these Pattaya taxi drivers are as dodgy as they come and I never go near them now.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

uber case already operation for end of month, Grab will be little more money.

all beter than the crocks who never open their meters

last years i was not driving drunk, thxs to uber

but living outside pattaya without uber and only crocks, will make me drive drunk again

bcs the crocks never takes a meter, and depending on time the prices are up to tripple of org meter

10 trips with the mafiacar = 1 catch drunk by police when drive

solution clear

uber and grab was make my life much easyer, not only in thailand and avoid a lot of trouble

and even the drivers are much more friendly and belivable  , not only in thailand

• Thanks 1