Proof that Thai electricity IS different!

Daffy D

I have been wiring all new wall sockets with the E on top the L on the left and N on the right as you look at the socket from the front. The markings on the sockets I've been using (Panasonic) are clearly marked to this configuration.

So I needed some additional power points and chose to fit a couple of those slim line Haco type. The first one I wired up was OK, same configuration as what I considered normal:-SAM_1161.jpg.273c80eba48d08ae01d11fb9e8cc0543.jpg With the Earth on top, the Live on the left and neural on the right.

When it came to wire up the second Haco I noticed that it was marked with the Neutral on the left and the Live on the right:- SAM_1157.jpg.a9fb10863187a24bc466811dfb354c2d.jpg

Both these sockets are from the same Haco manufacturer. I then noticed that the second socket with the Live on the right had additional slots, the kind found on universal sockets. This led me to do a quick Google and the discovery that most universal adaptors are marked with the Live on the right. 5941d99098a20_10pcs-lot-Universal-TravelAdapter.jpg.c3b579fe764691f1710f2d2a6d305f24.jpg 

Even the UK standard has the Live on the right:-

5941d9d1a2676_UKPlug!.jpg.3503545890ea102c90a3cd5632c4e45e.jpg

So proof that Thailand Electricity with it's left handed Live IS different   :thumbsup:

:smile:

Edited by Daffy D

Neither left nor right.

Live on top, neutral on bottom, earth to the right.

But indeed different from UK as the earth would be to the left in this orientation of L and N.

See this picture with the labels and the elephant not on his back :biggrin:

R9650548-5.jpg

At standard Thai sockets you can easily distinct between L and N because the slit at N for the flatpin plugs are wider than for L.

These Haeco things don't have that because they are made to "eat everything".

And don't be surprised that some DIY experts  mount the outlet turned 180 degreee (which to the rules is wrong) like here:

1439795246-537-o.jpg

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And don't be surprised that some DIY experts  mount the outlet turned 180 degreee (which to the rules is wrong).

The "rules"???  Whatever.  I turn them 90 degrees clockwise from the photo just because that's what I grew up with.

Do as you like.

It's a farang house.

Good luck with connecting two socket outlets side by side turned 90 degrees in a wall housing that is horizontal :cheesy:

(putting aside the fact they usually come in a combo as seen)

The UK (and other places that use BS1363 outlets) are pretty well the only ones with Live on the right (earth top).

If you buy the Haco 2 or 3 pin plugs they fit correctly (lead hanging vertically down) when the neutral is at the top.

I was trying to keep things simple by looking at the sockets with Earth on top, but those with Earth on the right will find that turning the whole thing 90o will give the Earth on top attitude. It does not really matter how your socket is mounted, its the relative positions of the Live and Neutral that I'm talking about.

As stated in my OP all the adaptors I've Googled show having the Live on the right, so if someone coming here with a UK standard plug using an adaptor will have their L and N reversed.

I have here an adaptor that I used in Malaysia which has the same square pin configuration as the UK and that clearly shows the Live pin being on the right. So if I plug in a Thai appliance, which will be wired for the live to be on the left, I will get an appliance with reversed polarity.

I realize in many cases reversal of polarity does not matter especially with the things people take on holiday phone charges, hair dryers etc. But what about people who move their whole household? I'm sure some of the bigger household items like fridge, cookers and the like would not be happy with their polarity change by an adaptor.  :sad:

FYI: The N being clockwise from the E is a US convention which Thailand originally adopted.  Now, it seems, they have adopted every convention but remain without a "standard".  As many have input, it doesn't really matter.  If you have a 90 degree 3-prong plug, a duplex socket will only fit one no matter what the orientation.  The thing is:  it doesn't really matter.

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Neither left nor right.

Live on top, neutral on bottom, earth to the right.

But indeed different from UK as the earth would be to the left in this orientation of L and N.

See this picture with the labels and the elephant not on his back :biggrin:

R9650548-5.jpg

At standard Thai sockets you can easily distinct between L and N because the slit at N for the flatpin plugs are wider than for L.

These Haeco things don't have that because they are made to "eat everything".

And don't be surprised that some DIY experts  mount the outlet turned 180 degreee (which to the rules is wrong) like here:

1439795246-537-o.jpg

I have the outlet in your second picture and it is definitely intended to be installed as pictured. If it was installed like you suggest, the writing on the outlet would be upside down.

Sophon

3 hours ago, Sophon said:

I have the outlet in your second picture and it is definitely intended to be installed as pictured. If it was installed like you suggest, the writing on the outlet would be upside down.

To correct my statement;

if L is connected to the lower plughole it's indeed just "cosmetic". That is the "rule", L to the smaller slit.

There are dedicated two wire flat-pin plugs that can only be inserted in one direction (having a thickening at one pin).

plug.jpg

I can only tell you what I see on a daily basis, what we have in our shop-house that is fully three wire (many old houses only two wire) and on the net.

And what I have yet to find in Thailand is a three pin socket with L and N horizontally. Never seen.

20 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And what I have yet to find in Thailand is a three pin socket with L and N horizontally. Never seen.

We have one (a double outlet), our washer and dryer are plugged in to it.

You can recognise them by the outlets being vertically one above the other.

I'll get my coat.

I had never noticed the actual socket opening being different sizes (have 3 pin sockets similar to the "elephant" brand posted above).

However I often have problems plugging in 2 pin plugs as they do not seem to go in easily or properly and always thought it was because the sockets were not very good. Have just checked Hatari stand fan but I cannot see any appreciable difference in the plug size but definitely seems to go in one way better than the other.........also the prongs on these flat 2 pin items seem to bend very easily?

1 hour ago, topt said:

I had never noticed the actual socket opening being different sizes (have 3 pin sockets similar to the "elephant" brand posted above).

However I often have problems plugging in 2 pin plugs as they do not seem to go in easily or properly and always thought it was because the sockets were not very good. Have just checked Hatari stand fan but I cannot see any appreciable difference in the plug size but definitely seems to go in one way better than the other.........also the prongs on these flat 2 pin items seem to bend very easily?

I learn a lot from these guys. About Thai wiring and it's good to be aware of safety concerns  here  in Thailand.

Indeed some 2 pin plugs have one flat wider pin which is for the N side of the socket. This of course is only relevant if the socket has been wired up correctly. :whistling:

Just for some extra information, having carried out a very limited survey of the few power bars / extension leads round the house I noticed that the ones with normal sockets are wired the Thai way, but the ones with the "eat all" sockets are wired with the L-N reversed.  power-extension-board-12361856.jpg.0a69ea697228aaa42a1f272ff941dfdb.jpg

I realize a most people think it does not matter and in most cases it doesn't, but maybe I'm a bit old word but believe that any plug that has three pins should have the correct polarities.

This is especially true with the extension board on my computer, I like to think that when it's switched off it is OFF not still live inside.

:smile: