Declaring currency at border/airport?

Does anyone know the process for declaring currency at the border/airport in excess of the allowed limit? Do you need to submit proof of source of funds? Is a bank statement enough or what is needed exactly? Is there a fee? Thank you.

From Thai customs website. http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=arriving_in_thailand&lang=en&left_menu=menu_arriving_in_thailand

The Regulation and Notification require that travelers bringing foreign currency, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the person s baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

A person who reports currency has to answer truthfully any questions that a border services officer asks about the information required for the report.

• Like 1

Yes that it correct as posted. By telegraphic t limitless. I once transerred £400,000 no problem. Prpblem is getting it out when you want to. I wanted to send back £70,000 five years later can mot my saving grace was i made my account joint account with wife and she allowed to do. crazy

I once brought in USD 10K and the customs said I don't have to declare it.

Then I ask them if I enter Thailand in two trips and the total amount exceeds USD 20K, I don't have to declare. It's actually just for one trip.

The procedure is very simple, just fill up a form and declare the amount.

I don't understand why they need us to declare , maybe for statistics purposes. 

37 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I once brought in USD 10K and the customs said I don't have to declare it.

Then I ask them if I enter Thailand in two trips and the total amount exceeds USD 20K, I don't have to declare. It's actually just for one trip.

The procedure is very simple, just fill up a form and declare the amount.

I don't understand why they need us to declare , maybe for statistics purposes. 

Most countries have these regulations and it mainly to address potential money laundering/tax evasion.

3 minutes ago, dunque said:

Most countries have these regulations and it mainly to address potential money laundering/tax evasion.

In that case, does it make sense that one can exceed that money in more than one trip and we don't have to declare it?

In one year, we can easily make several trips to bring in lots of money.

So I don't think that's the reason.

Edited by EricTh

The office is off at the far right hand side of the departures/check-in area where they are also doing VAT reimbursements. It is done with a hand-written entry log which seems very 19th century. Interesting to notice what amount other people are bringing in and out in cash and in what currencies. I recommend doing it if you are carrying over $20,000 equivalent. They never have asked me to see the cash and display little interest in why you are carrying the cash or what country you are traveling to with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunque said:

Yes, completely normal, and 20,000 USD might be quite generous. I seem to recall that the minimum that must be declared when entering Australia (for example) is $10,000.

• 10 months later...
On 15/06/2017 at 4:15 PM, Halfaboy said:

Are you being asked for evidence. I.e. copies of bankbooks etc, or is just mentioning the amount enough ?

Has anyone got an answer to this? Do they question you, ask for supporting documents etc, or is it a bureaucratic box ticking procedure they don't pay much attention to? Thanks!