Navy to step up security on Phuket beaches to stop people from swimming in red-flag areas

webfact

Navy to step up security on Phuket beaches to stop people from swimming in red-flag areas
By The Nation

PHUKET: -- A Navy vice admiral has deployed naval officers to step up patrols on Phuket beaches to prevent tourists from violating swimming bans in rough seas.

Vice Admiral Surapol Kuptaphan, commander of the Third Naval Area Command, gave the order following reports of 10 tourists being submerged by big waves off Phuket beaches this week. Two tourists died in separate incidents – a Thai drowned at Karon Beach and a Chinese at Kamala Beach.

Surapol said the incidents happened because tourists ignored red flags that were raised by lifeguards to warn about hazardous conditions. He said it was lucky that lifeguards could help most swimmers in time.

He added that officers on the beaches would tell tourists to return to land if they were seen swimming in off-limits areas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30318166

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-15

Another use for a submarine...

Conversation goes........

Periscope  --  Cap'n, there's an unauthorised swimmer off the port bow. distance 500 yards

Captain -- Left hand down a bit and load number one torpedo tube and stand by to fire

Aye aye, sir

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'm amazed more don't drown. Only way to keep the Chinese between the flags would be to set up a free all you can eat buffet.  

GreedyChineseTourists02.jpg

This pic reminds me of those grey oldie farangs in BKK who go from free buffet to free buffet lol. Just buy a drink. Or the ones in Pattaya that look for the bars where there are balloons outside becuase a bargirl has her birthday so they turn up for the free food :)

Edited by bbi1

Officers not enlisted sailors to patrol Picket beaches to prevent tourists from violating swimming bans.  

I am impressed.  Firstly by the recognition of the importance of tourists.  Secondly by the obvious need for the Thai navy to have something to do.  

Edited by Juan B Tong

16 minutes ago, Juan B Tong said:

Officers not enlisted sailors to patrol Picket beaches to prevent tourists from violating swimming bans.  

I am impressed.  Firstly by the recognition of the importance of tourists.  Secondly by the obvious need for the Thai navy to have something to do.  

And with the soldiers needed to attire dancers, the Air Force must feel redundant.

If we can get the Navy to patrol for bad swimmers, why can't we get them to patrol for jet ski's taking over more than what is allowed ( of course they shouldn't be allowed at all), parasail guys telling people they can't go on their turf etc.      

Wishful thinking in the land of the baht........................

I've seen Chinese and Europeans ignore life guards warnings/instructions so many times over the year's maybe getting the navy to helps not so bad, at least they're trying. Help an old Fench moll caught in a rip when I was out for a surf a few yrs ago at Kata noi, got her to shore after she'd nearly passed out and was abused by her once she'd got her breath  back, tried to accuse me of perving on her while I paddle her in on my mini-mal, she must have been about 75/ 80 yrs old...

Edited by beechbum

On 6/16/2017 at 10:17 AM, bbi1 said:

This pic reminds me of those grey oldie farangs in BKK who go from free buffet to free buffet lol. Just buy a drink. Or the ones in Pattaya that look for the bars where there are balloons outside becuase a bargirl has her birthday so they turn up for the free food :)

Never heard of that, you seem to know where to go.  Thanks for sharing.