Filipino Restaurants In Pattaya?

PATTAYAPUNTER

I am from Los Angeles. 13 years ago, there were over 500 registered Thai restaurants in the city. There were many more which were not registered. I knew of only one Filipino restaurant. I am sure that there must have been more, but I knew of no one who ever mentioned them. My brother's wife is from the PI in case anyone out there guessed that I did not know any Filipinos. The Filipino population in LA is in the neighborhood of four times the Thai population.

(There are also a great deal more Thai restaurants than Filipino restaurants in Singapore, while the number of Filipinos is far higher than the number of Thais.) (Take a look at the number of Thai restaurants in the Philipines versus the number of Filipino restaurants in Thailand.)

I have lived in Suadi Arabia for 8 1/2 years. There are Thai restaurants all over the place, but there are virtually no Thais there because of the Saudi-Thai governmental probelms. The restaurants are full of Filipinos cooking AND eating there as well. There are Filipino restaurants in Saudi as well, but considering there are nearly one million Filipinos in Saudi, one would guess that there would be more Filipino restaurants than Thai.

There used to be one Filipino restaurant on Second Road in Pattaya near Ruen Thai, nearly opposite Soi Post Office. It closed down several years ago.

This is just how it happens to be, all in all, Filipino is not very appetizing to the majority of the non-Filipino world.

Filipino people perform work using the English laguage for a fraction of the cost of other people from throughout the world. It is a shame that their governement is not able or is unwilling to improve the country so that the people can live better lives at home. I believe in their competence versus their cost, but they still cannot cook. I never liked my brother's wife or her cooking anyway.

It is a shame that their governement is not able or is unwilling to improve the country so that the people can live better lives at home.

How do you propose a country with 40 million people living below the poverty line should "improve" itself? ...."unwilling"???

I'm sure your brother's wife was not too fond of you either.

It is a shame that their governement is not able or is unwilling to improve the country so that the people can live better lives at home.

" How do you propose a country with 40 million people living below the poverty line should "improve" itself? ...."unwilling"???"

The government is UNWILLING because it chooses to steal everything from the land and the people. You may have missed my note concerning the population performing a great deal of work for the price of their labor throughout the world. My statement is not against the populace, but the government.

A few years ago, Arroyo said, "I plan to help 1,000,000 more Filipinos find work overseas." If that is not a cop out for improving the country's economy by the government's top official, nothing is.

I'm sure your brother's wife was not too fond of you either.

As you have never met her nor me, you an incapable of supporting that statement. Actually, she has never had anything against me, even before I loaned her and my brother money to buy a new house. She still cannot cook.

There are exceptions like Adobo, but overall the food is a disgrace and only attractive to those who grew up eating it and/or do not know any better. The quality of the rice is dreadful and would not be fed to prisoners in Thailand. To top it, off the preferred consistency of rice is similar to mashed potatoes. Lived there two years and can count the number of times I ate the local 'cuisine' on one hand. Sanitation not up to Thai standards either, which is saying a lot isn't it? The only way a restaurant serving that stuff can survive is if it is located in the Philippines or in an area with a sizeable population of Filipinos.

Now having said that, the people of the Philippines on the whole are delightful and the islands very interesting. Much more variety geographically, culturally, linguistically, architecturally, historically, etc. than Thailand, and theoretically great tourism potential. Undone by the food, lack of infrastructure, safety issues, etc.

Did I mention I disliked the food?

Last time I had filipino cuisine, it made me wretch!!!! :D Never again!!! :o

Brit - try being the only non-Korean on a construction project. I like bulgoki, I even like kimshi occasionally, but when you're down in the slop trough three times a day with a thousand Koreans, you don't knowwhat you're getting, but you do know that you will be eating 50% garlic, flavoured with bits of rice, veg and unknown meat. (There wasn't a stray dog for mile, and after a major flood I saw buckets of drowned snakes being taken to the kitchens.

And the chopsticks - the size of crochet hooks and made of steel. Struggle to pick up anything.

Filipino food is mostly rather bland, But Jollybee do a better burger than McDonalds :-). There again, the nation is split between the dog-eters and the non-d-e's. Tie up the six-month-old pup, suspend it from a tripod and all sit round chatting while you gently whack the pup to tenderise it. Then cook and eat. Been there, done that.

Filipino chefs can be very good, cooking Thai, Western, what-you-will. But apart from dishes borrowed from Indonesia (Gado-gado, for instance) the only thing that I find enjoyable is the very sweet sweet - Halo-halo. The flips themselves usually choose non-filipino food over their own when offered a meal. Whether this is just innate politeness (improbable) or a genuine desire to eat something decent is debatable, but I now where I would place my money.

Filipino food is mostly rather bland, But Jollybee do a better burger than McDonalds :-). There again, the nation is split between the dog-eters and the non-d-e's.

This is absolute nonsense...and an insult to poor people. The nation is split between the haves and the have-nots. You would be surprised what people will eat when starving (some plane crash victims on the Andes Mountains comes to mind).

Very few Filipinos would eat dog when fish, beef, chicken and pork is readily available. My girlfriend was one of the unfortunate poor that had to scrounge for anything available to eat...and when she read what you posted she was quite angry.

It's also not true that Filipinos chose non-Filipino food if given a choice. Many exclusively eat Filipino food and find it difficult to eat other cuisines.

Edited by tropo

Tropo,

I think you are a bit wrong on this one. Dog meat is prized by many Filipinos for the taste. It is not only cost factors. I remember when I stayed at quite a decent hotel in Hanoi, and dog was offered cooked in five different styles, and it was no cheaper than the other meats. Yes, I know Hanoi is in Vietnam, but cite this as an example. Some cultures are not offended by dog eating and many in those cultures like the taste of dog meat. Many farangs might like it too if we were raised with it.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry, Tropo, but Jingthing seems to have a little more knowledge of SE Asian customs.

I have been working with Filipino labour for most of the past 30 years, Middle East, Iran, Singapore. Also Indian / Pak / Bangla labour.

The comment about dog-eaters and non-dog-eaters is correct, it is a question of locality, upbringing. Not poverty. In the Phillipines it is young, six-month-old dog. In Vietnam I have seen cyclo-drivers (riders?) with cages of mangy old dogs going to the restaurants. So it is definitely better to eat in the PI!

I usually take a gang of my workers out to local restaurants once a month or so. If I take out Indian / Bangla / Pak workers, then they'll invariably chose their national food - in Saudi and the Emirates these are everywhere.

If I take out a group of Filipinos they will end up with Fudruckers, Ponderosa or similar, rather than the fairly large selection of Filipino eating places in most major towns. I've asked why, been told better food.

I am not projecting from little experience, but from half-a-lifetime of working with more than fifty nationalities. Currently we have a workforce of 15,000 on our project, scheduled to build up to 40,000 at peak - in six months time. Most of my staff - QA/QC, accounts, scheduling, surveying - are flips, the rest of my immediate people are Indian. But we have a large Chinese grouping, as well as Bangla, Turkish, Lebanese, Iraqi, Palestinian and about twenty other nationalities. Such has been my life since 1976, so I think that I do know what I'm talking about.

But back to the theme of this thread - I cannot bring to mind any Filipino restaurant (or eating place) in Pattaya.

Sorry, Tropo, but Jingthing seems to have a little more knowledge of SE Asian customs.

I have been working with Filipino labour for most of the past 30 years, Middle East, Iran, Singapore. Also Indian / Pak / Bangla labour.

You're way out of touch with the poor actually living in the Philippines. There is no way that they would eat dog over fish, beef, chicken and pork. They would not going anywhere near it.

You should try living in the Philippines for while and you'd learn something.

We're not talking about SE Asian customs here. There are 10 countries under that umbrella, all with different religions and cultures. We're talking about the Philippines and you are way off base.

• 1 month later...

I've heard Filipino food is an oxymoron but I've heard there are some decent dishes out there yet haven't seen too many successful Flip restaurants in my lifetime. Any in Pattaya? Thanks. :o

These are not weird foods, The first photo is "Bibingka" - made from Rice, Cocomunt milk, brown sugar. It does taste good, and it is distinctly a Filipino Food... I think there are more oxymoron food found in Thailand than in the Philippines (Ex: Fried insects, scorpions etc...)

2nd one is also made from rice , I saw a counterpart of that in BKK too...but the taste is not the same. Thai's version is a little bit saltier.

3rd one are hotdog (Sausages) - (Pretty obvious), yup, most of the hotdogs in the Philippines are colored red.

Anyway, there are really delicious (not only decent) Filipino dishes it's too bad that there aren't too many Filipino Restaurants in Thailand. - It's probably because Filipinos usually cook Filipino dishes at home so, when they go out, they don't normally go out and eat in a Filipino restaurant.

Lets just say very few people visit the Philipines only for the food (except returning Filipinos), and leave it at that. I also find dog eating unappealing, but consider how Muslims feel about pig eating, and Hindus feel about beef eating. The only ones with a clear conscience are the vegetarians, I guess.

Anyone care to comment on the Filipino menu at the Cafe New Orleans? The only dishes I recognize on their menu are the adobo, sinigang soup, two kinds of lumpia, and some kind of lechon pork. Other than that, it could be anything to me, but I sure they don't have bow wow on the menu here. I know they have Filipino food and not everyone likes it, but is it GOOD Filipino food?

BTW, Adobo is really a classic dish (major flavors, black pepper and vinegar boiled down) and it is fairly easy to cook yourself.

I also agree about the horrid quality of RICE in the Philipines at many places. In some cases, it really did taste like animal feed.

Edited by Jingthing

There are many Flipper eateries in HK. The food is not up to much, but the majority have some form of in-house band. If you have never heard them, a good PI band, sing like angels and you never really care what you are eating

• 11 years later...