Mercedes-Benz announces new model from Thailand production line

Mercedes-Benz announces new model from Thailand production line

By The Nation

fc612bf3611b859e45032a3f4909486f-sld.jpeg

German luxury-car maker Mercedes-Benz has added another new model to its production line in Thailand in order to provide local customers with more affordable products.

The latest CKD (completely knocked-down) model to roll out of the Thonburi Automotive Assembly Plant is the GLC 250d 4MATIC, priced at Bt3.99 million. Simultaneously, the company also launched the beefed-up version, the Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe, which is fully imported and priced at Bt5.79 million.

According to Michael Grewe, president and chief executive of Mercedes-Benz (Thailand) Ltd (MBT), the sales growth in the company’s range of sport-utility vehicles is the highest compared with other segments. Mercedes-Benz sold more than 700,000 SUVs worldwide last year, 34.4 per cent more than in 2015.

“We constantly strive to sustain our leadership in the Thai luxury-car market and continue our philosophy to present ‘the best’ to our customers,” he said.

“Local-production vehicles are alternatives we are pleased to offer to Thai customers.” 

He said MBT and its production arm, Mercedes-Benz Manufacturing (Thailand), worked together to conduct extensive consumer surveys, compile market anticipations and select models that are suitable for production in Thailand.

“We tailor every detail of each local-made model to fit Thailand’s road conditions and the driving characteristics of Thais,” Grewe said. “Mercedes is the only premium-car brand with a Thailand-based production line incorporated with all three essential procedures to complete a unit of vehicle – body shop, paint shop, [and] final assembly.”

Mercedes assembles a total of 21 models in Thailand covering all segments, including plug-in hybrid vehicles.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/automobiles/30318284

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-6-16

Four million THB for a hatchback - not exactly 'affordable' for 99% of Thais?

In less restricted car markets, potential customers will consider VW's and Hondas alongside a Mercedes, but here the three pointed star gets you instant respect, exemption from Police stops and the freedom to park where you like.

4 million baht for a car that I can barely put my bicycle plus some shopping in, without kicking the family out to take the bus. Sad!

And not even the three pointed star to look at and cheer you up while listening to that coffee machine under the hood. Double sad!

Edited by Presto

10 hours ago, Kinnock said:

In less restricted car markets, potential customers will consider VW's and Hondas alongside a Mercedes, but here the three pointed star gets you instant respect, exemption from Police stops and the freedom to park where you like.

The GLC is not a hatchback, more of a mid size SUV.  
Yes 4M THB is still steep but Mercedes don't target 99% of any country.  Even the normal brands are out of reach for many Thai people.  

Despite local assembly, premium brands get way with ridiculous prices way above the mid market cars in LOS.  

14 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I don't want to be seen in one.

In Europe it is the preferred mode of transport for Turkish immigrants.

While the rest of the drivers are criminally inclined drivers re traffic laws.

15 hours ago, Kinnock said:

How can you compare VW and Honda to Benz... Seems like you have never owned one !

15 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Don't forget the speeding down the expressway and killing innocent students.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We tailor every detail of each local-made model to fit Thailand’s road conditions and the driving characteristics of Thais,”

Maybe that's why Prayut is going with the Chinese VN-1 rubber-wheel armoured vehicles.

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Think you are getting confused with BMW's....:stoner:

38 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

How can you compare VW and Honda to Benz... Seems like you have never owned one !

I remember some years ago in a bar being berated by a Thai for owning a Mercedes when I could have bought a Toyota which was apparently a much better car :shock1:

Just now, schweizer said:

I remember some years ago in a bar being berated by a Thai for owning a Mercedes when I could have bought a Toyota which was apparently a much better car :shock1:

That was envy, every Thai knows the word..."Benz"....:smile:

3 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Got to be honest I own a Benz here and I drove my friends new ford 3.2 ranger pick up and thought it was a better ride.

6 hours ago, hansnl said:

I guess you never can afford such car so you put all Mercedes drivers  in Europe into the criminal corner. Don't be so envious and relax.

Edited by hhinhh

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We constantly strive to sustain our leadership in the Thai luxury-car market and continue our philosophy to present ‘the best’ to our customers,” he said.

“Local-production vehicles are alternatives we are pleased to offer to Thai customers.” 

Maybe it is just me but this reads like the "local-production vehicles" are not "the best" - IE are substandard to the fully imported models........:unsure:

17 hours ago, topt said:

Maybe it is just me but this reads like the "local-production vehicles" are not "the best" - IE are substandard to the fully imported models........:unsure:

No, just vehicles for the Thai user and what they need and how they "perhaps" take care of their ride...Even Toyota has worked that out...:stoner:

Two unfounded and insulting posts and a reply aimed at the Thai population in general have been removed.

Please read the details in the following forum rules.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Any more posts in the mould as the ones removed will certainly gain the poster a holiday.

19 hours ago, topt said:

When Benz offer locally assembled models instead of fully imported, they usually offer pretty much the same car at a lower price, sometimes with a few options deleted.  Obviously recent buyers are not going to appreciate this and the fact their resale just took a hit so Benz fiddle the model number, exaggerate the difference in options and spin the fully imported prestige saga.  

10 minutes ago, Jitar said:

sometimes with a few options deleted

"Standardized equipment" and parts might also be downgraded to meet Thailand pricing versus higher German standards, ie.,. Bendix vs Brembo, platinum vs iridium spark plugs. The result may be more frequent and higher maintenance costs, lower resale value. But that doesn't enter into the initial purchase price.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, bangkokairportlink said:

I've had two.  Coupe and saloon.  Both company cars - we used to have list to choose from every 2 years (before tax changes made it too expensive).  One time I also chose a Honda Accord Coupe (US built), and preferred it to the Mercedes Coupe (which was an old man's car).  BMW 330 Coupe was probably my favorite -  but the Honda Coupe ran it a close second.

Recently I had the new VW Golf as a hire car - and found it on par with the smaller Mercedes hatch backs.  I've been in too many Berlin Taxis to be impressed by the three pointed star - it's just another car brand.

13 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I've had two.  Coupe and saloon.  Both company cars - we used to have list to choose from every 2 years (before tax changes made it too expensive).  One time I also chose a Honda Accord Coupe (US built), and preferred it to the Mercedes Coupe (which was an old man's car).  BMW 330 Coupe was probably my favorite -  but the Honda Coupe ran it a close second.

Recently I had the new VW Golf as a hire car - and found it on par with the smaller Mercedes hatch backs.  I've been in too many Berlin Taxis to be impressed by the three pointed star - it's just another car brand.

I can understand that you like cheap stuff. No problem, everybody is different.

Hopefully they will make the GLC 43 AMG SUV available here as well as the GLC 43 AMG Coupe. 

The GLC is a pretty good mid sized SUV but only available here with a four pot diesel. Be great to get the six pot twin turbo petrol version. Only real comparison would be top spec X3/X5 or Porsche Macan. Price here is relative to other Asian markets with luxury tax. You can either afford it or not. Or if u have the cash but too tight to part with it no need to disparage others. Maybe they spend less on booze and divorce settlements.

22 hours ago, Kinnock said:

You were probably driving base models, You really need a highly optioned E or equivalent or an S before you experience what makes a Mercedes better than a Honda but with a Merc it's more about comfort. If you like the 3 series then it's probably not for you.

The low end Mercedes are designed to be pretty, cool and uncomfortable (I think they industry term for this is "sporty") so they appeal to younger buyers to get people into the brand. In the rest of the world they're not exactly expensive so you can hardly complain about them.

22 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Hopefully they will make the GLC 43 AMG SUV available here as well as the GLC 43 AMG Coupe. 

The GLC is a pretty good mid sized SUV but only available here with a four pot diesel. Be great to get the six pot twin turbo petrol version. Only real comparison would be top spec X3/X5 or Porsche Macan. Price here is relative to other Asian markets with luxury tax. You can either afford it or not. Or if u have the cash but too tight to part with it no need to disparage others. Maybe they spend less on booze and divorce settlements.

And maybe they feel smarter to buy a toy for themselves than a house for their wife that they are sure to lose anyway !