Current standard/foreigner prices for transportation, phone plan and high-speed Internet?

KevT

I'm redoing my budget more thoroughly before leaving in some months, and there a few things of which the prices are difficult to find. I'll either be in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

PHONE / INTERNET

1. What is the price of a decent phone plan with say 12GB of data?

2. I think that some (or most?) apartments in Chiang Mai/Bangkok offer high-speed Internet as an option. Is this the case? What prices would you be looking at? And is it good/decent and reliable?

TRANSPORTATION

3. Is walking a decent option or in most cases the distance or hastle is not worth it?

4. What are the foreigner prices for rhot deang/soong teeos? Are there foreigner prices for rhot dtuus and klong boats?

5. Finally, I've heard a few times now that UBER is much better and less expensive than traditional taxis, so I think I'll be using it. What are the standard rates?

Edited by KevT

Search AIS/TRUE/DTAC for data plans and prices.

Most apartments offer some sort of WIFI for anywhere from 400 to 800 baht per month. If you rent/buy a condo them you can contract with provider yourself...same pricing but usually much higher speed and more options (TV, etc).

Transport: I can only speak to Bangkok here...pricing same for foreigners/locals on transport unless you are foolish enough to jump in a Tuk tuk in a tourist area as no Thais would ever use them...so you use at your own peril.

Moved to General forum.

Iif you want specific advice on an area sugest you split up and specify exactly what you want from each area. As this stands at the moment it is very general.

I'm redoing my budget more thoroughly before leaving in some months, and there a few things of which the prices are difficult to find. I'll either be in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

PHONE / INTERNET

1. What is the price of a decent phone plan with say 12GB of data?

2. I think that some (or most?) apartments in Chiang Mai/Bangkok offer high-speed Internet as an option. Is this the case? What prices would you be looking at? And is it good/decent and reliable?

TRANSPORTATION

3. Is walking a decent option or in most cases the distance or hastle is not worth it?

4. What are the foreigner prices for rhot deang/soong teeos? Are there foreigner prices for rhot dtuus and klong boats?

5. Finally, I've heard a few times now that UBER is much better and less expensive than traditional taxis, so I think I'll be using it. What are the standard rates?

1. Are you asking about the price for ultra-fast 5G phone reception using a satellite phone? I wouldn't use anything other than a satellite phone with 5G reception.

2. You need to be living in a condo if you want high-speed internet. Alternatively just use your satellite phone with the ultra-fast 5G reception.

3. No way would I walk anywhere, that would mean I would need to exercise and I'm strongly against any form of possibly working up a drop of sweat. I ask my personal driver to take me in my limousine everywhere then push me in a trolley if I need to go into a building.

4. I highly commend you on trying to practice your Thai language, even though it's quite difficult to understand what you have written but I figured out the gist of it. There are no foreigner prices charged for transport provided you are fluently able to speak to the bus driver in fluent Thai.

5. Unless you want to get bashed and put in hospital by the Pattaya Thai mafia, I'd avoid Uber at all costs.

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When I first read this OP, It looked like the poster was leaving, and I was wondering why he wanted to know about these prices.

He's leaving the peaceful bliss of Issan and moving to the big dawg league in Bangkok.

Edited by bbi1

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

If you have to go into so much minute detail for calculating your budget are you sure you are making the rigjt move?

I'll be there 6 months or more, so not doing a budget is a bad idea. 

7 hours ago, bbi1 said:

1. Are you asking about the price for ultra-fast 5G phone reception using a satellite phone? I wouldn't use anything other than a satellite phone with 5G reception.

2. You need to be living in a condo if you want high-speed internet. Alternatively just use your satellite phone with the ultra-fast 5G reception.

3. No way would I walk anywhere, that would mean I would need to exercise and I'm strongly against any form of possibly working up a drop of sweat. I ask my personal driver to take me in my limousine everywhere then push me in a trolley if I need to go into a building.

4. I highly commend you on trying to practice your Thai language, even though it's quite difficult to understand what you have written but I figured out the gist of it. There are no foreigner prices charged for transport provided you are fluently able to speak to the bus driver in fluent Thai.

5. Unless you want to get bashed and put in hospital by the Pattaya Thai mafia, I'd avoid Uber at all costs.

I'm guessing everything you wrote is either sarcastic or condescending? 

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Moved to General forum.

Iif you want specific advice on an area sugest you split up and specify exactly what you want from each area. As this stands at the moment it is very general.

Hi, Rimmer. Feel free to delete the thread. Thanks.

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Too much time on your hands, go for a walk and then when someone asks for advice say nothing until you can actually be helpful

My only comment is the walking part. I really enjoy walking normally, but not anywhere in Thailand. You break into a hard sweat in 500m and are soaked in 1km. On the other hand, taking the scooter is a nice breeze and simple to accomplish, even in traffic.

21 hours ago, smccolley said:

My only comment is the walking part. I really enjoy walking normally, but not anywhere in Thailand. You break into a hard sweat in 500m and are soaked in 1km. On the other hand, taking the scooter is a nice breeze and simple to accomplish, even in traffic.

You forgot the other benefit of the scooter, it's not just the "nice breeze" but the deliciously tasty fumes you get to experience. It's a purely blissful delight indeed.