Bringing Thai Girlfriend To USA

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

What it Boils down to is Ducks being in order. 

Time. Dotting the I's and crossing the T's..........the current system just blocks who they block.  With fair reason. 

Not true.  It often boils down to what kind of crappy mood the embassy person interviewing the woman applying for a visa happens to be in that particular day.  The system is NOT always fair.  And those <deleted> farang embassy employees may speak very good Thai, but they have all the social graces of a monitor lizard...there are some truly mean <deleted>s in there.  They look at the applicant in front of them and make up their mind within a few seconds, no matter how eloquently the applicant may try to argue her case.

1 minute ago, Chou Anou said:

Not true.  It often boils down to what kind of crappy mood the embassy person interviewing the woman applying for a visa happens to be in that particular day.  The system is NOT always fair.  And those <deleted> farang embassy employees may speak very good Thai, but they have all the social graces of a monitor lizard...there are some truly mean <deleted>s in there.  They look at the applicant in front of them and make up their mind within a few seconds, no matter how eloquently the applicant may try to argue her case.

I spent a fair amount of time with the embassy staff.  Meeting in person before I started the process, staying in contact with them via email throughout the entire process, and meeting with them since to help with issues my 92 year old mother has here with a variety of passport, SSA, VA, etc things.  They've even been to my house.

I 've found them to be nothing but professional and friendly.  Yes, they are thorough.  For good reasons.  But to bash them like that isn't right.  Perhaps it was how YOU treated them?

• Like 2

On 6/17/2017 at 9:50 AM, sirineou said:

Getting a Tourist visa would be difficult,  

She would need to exhibit compelling reasons  of why she will not overstay and will return to Thailand (property, job, family ties) . If you come in to the picture, you will also need to show that you will return (job contract, etc) and that the Tourist visa is not an attempt to circumvent the  Fiance K1 visa to go there and get married.

So, your options.

She applies for a tourist visa, overcomes the hurdles, and you meet in the US, get married and apply for a change of status. Not a thing I was ever involved in so not familiar with the particulars but,

I am willing to assume US authorities would not be very happy about that.

Get married in Thailand and apply for  Marriage visa K3   I believe your best bet IMO since you are already in Thailand

Or apply for a fiance visa K1 ( which is what I did more than 10 years ago) , but I was back and forth to the US and could do it from there. Took about a year for her to come to the US, ( the process was straight forward, ). got married immediately,  applied for a change of status and got he temporary  "Green Card"

Two years later got her permanent green card , and a couple of years later her US citizenship.

As I said it was over 10 years ago, and I have trouble remembering what I ate yesterday, LOL, but if you like PM me and I will try to remember all the particulars concerning K1 from the US. I hope others with more recent experience chime in.

IF you go the K1 or K3 route make sure you document the relationship extensively, dig up old pictures, take new ones with you her and her family, look for old airline receipts were you traveled together, and or hotels where you were both guests.

Hope it helps,

Good Luck 

Does your wife hold dual citizenship US/Thai? I was curious if you had to choose or could have both passports.

Tourist visa, not easy to get, but not impossible. You can't sponsor someone for that. I went the K1 fiancé visa route and waiting for approval now. Hopefully she'll be here in the next couple of months. Tedious and drawn-out process but best way I think to bring her here. You don't need a lawyer. It's not that hard to do. www.visajourney.com gives a wealth of information and has a forum. It's all fresh in my mind so you can PM me with any questions.

Edited by fordguy61mi

What if you are not American, but G7, and want to visit USA for a couple of months with your Thai gf, and have no intention of marrying or staying?

I just want to go to Disneyland to be honest. Should I forget it or plan for headaches?

19 minutes ago, JayBird said:

What if you are not American, but G7, and want to visit USA for a couple of months with your Thai gf, and have no intention of marrying or staying?

I just want to go to Disneyland to be honest. Should I forget it or plan for headaches?

You could come but I doubt your Thai GF could.

18 minutes ago, JayBird said:

As was posted before, if she has a good job, money in the bank, has kids, owns property, etc, the visa is relatively easy.  10 year visa.  Without these, it's not easy at all.

17 hours ago, gazza4 said:

I'd strongly recommend Tasmania.

Who would want to inflict Yankville on a Thai lady.

You should move here!

Have you even been to the US for an extended amount of time? There are millions of very good people there. You might be watching too much television. ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

Does your wife hold dual citizenship US/Thai? I was curious if you had to choose or could have both passports.

You can have both.  I know several friends that their wives have both.  My one friend from the U.S. got Thai citizenship and now has both us and Thai passports. This has been discussed my times on tv over tyhe years. 

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

As was posted before, if she has a good job, money in the bank, has kids, owns property, etc, the visa is relatively easy.  10 year visa.  Without these, it's not easy at all.

Not really true.  My first girlfriend  in Thailand owned a house up north, a condo in bkk and a townhouse shop in bkk, a car and two kids. Her family had money but she was turned down. All depends on if in the interview if t hey feel you will not return.  It's hit or miss.  

• Like 1

There is an income requirement if you do the K1 US gov requires you to make Minimum 40K a year. That is regardless of how much money you have in the Bank. I went through this with an immigration attorney about 8 years ago.

Good Luck

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

She has both US and Thai passport which works real well .

She leaves the states with her US passport but enters Thailand on her Thai passport, so no visa or over stay. then when she leaves Thailand she exits with her Thai passport but enters US on her US Passport. Never had a problem.

• Like 1

I know an exvisa officer that worked in Thailand. He told me the mistake people make is to apply for a tourist visa and then the Thai women in the interview states that she wants to visit the sponsors family and maybe get married. He then has to deny the tourist visa because she really needs a fiance visa. Seems a little tricky to me but I trust my friend who granted and denied thousands of USA visas over the years. 

Edited by Wake Up

You cannot marry on a tourist visa. If you try this your girlfriend may be barred from the US for up to 10 years for visa fraud. If you plan to marry then the K-1 visa is how you need to go. If she has kids under 21 they can come in as well on a K-2 visa. It's not likely your gf will be successful in getting a tourist visa, though not impossible. Getting more difficult, not easier these days. PM me if you need help. I do this for a living!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

mines was denied this week. I think like some have said they decide if you get it from ds-160 form only. Didnt look at anything you bring with you land chanotes etc. only thing look at was my 2 passports. stamped 6 month here 6 month there for more than  15 years. 30 yr land lease here. 15 yrs into it. She owns her own house outright. Been out of country several times and returned. (granted no first world countries but been and back other countries.)

I am 57

she 43

not married and no kids either of us.

her last job was for 15 yrs same company

living together at my address 2 yrs +

shes not working been staying with me taking care of home garden me pets etc.

none of it mattered they don't look at any of it refused to look invite letter. and there is no where to explain situation on ds-160 except under why your unemployed.

Then no clear reason why denied so you could rectify it and try again. So now its on to Fiance visa or cr1. So instead of giving a visit visa and her returning. can get a green card and can stay forever..... that makes alot of sense

disappointing, the whole system. 5555

• Like 1

If you want them to get a USA tourist visa then you don't have them say they know an American man.  You don't try a support letter.   An unemployed woman can't afford to be a tourist in USA!   A person will spend 100,000 on a 2 week trip to USA.   I'm sure bill the lawyer knows best but I have had zero rejects out if 3 women I wanted to visit me.   I have posted the word on the street, in a previous post on this thread.  

Woman must have a decent job

Can have large debt 

But needs 100,000 in her bank account.

Some say 200,000

Letter of employment and permission for vacation.

They do not know any American man. 

They really investigate if she has any relatives in USA.  

She must be able to speak English well enough to travel here. 

It's helps if she knows a friend with Visa who she plans to vacation with. 

Of course some kind of police record, life history search is probably made.  Dies this include life time income history?

• Like 1

Reading there were 2 ways to go.her on her own or boyfriend support right from start with invite.

Another poster like you sponsored 3 ppl as well all recvd visa doing this way also.

Who knows..

I wouldn't have her apply again without a job of some years.

Big neg for sure no job.

Alot of + to. But never got figured in to equation going the route of boyfriend. 

Honesty doesn't count I guess 

Anyway on to other visa choices

BTW

She never had a bar job.

Just a normal girl 

No criminal history

On 5/13/2018 at 9:42 AM, Elkski said:

If you want them to get a USA tourist visa then you don't have them say they know an American man.  You don't try a support letter.   An unemployed woman can't afford to be a tourist in USA!   A person will spend 100,000 on a 2 week trip to USA.   I'm sure bill the lawyer knows best but I have had zero rejects out if 3 women I wanted to visit me.   I have posted the word on the street, in a previous post on this thread.  

Woman must have a decent job

Can have large debt 

But needs 100,000 in her bank account.

Some say 200,000

Letter of employment and permission for vacation.

They do not know any American man. 

They really investigate if she has any relatives in USA.  

She must be able to speak English well enough to travel here. 

It's helps if she knows a friend with Visa who she plans to vacation with. 

Of course some kind of police record, life history search is probably made.  Dies this include life time income history?

Completely disagree with the part I bolded. The application asks if anyone helped fill out the form. My BF insisted on using the English language form. Her English is good but there are complex questions at the end of the application and I told her to put my name down. Her interview consisted of only 4 questions. First, have you traveled outside Thailand before (Reply, yes (this was listed in the application)). Second, are you traveling with anyone (reply was no but meeting a friend in NJ). Third, was this friend Mr Jersey (Reply Yes). Fourth, what was the purpose of the trip (reply was sightseeing in NY and NJ). End of interview!! 2 weeks later the passport arrived with her 10 year visa.

The reason she had it easy and other friends where she works also haven't had any issues with getting visas to the US or EU is that they all have very good jobs working for a large Thai multinational company. My GF had all the recommended paperwork like letter of employment, vacation permission, bank and car records, itinerary of where we were planning to visit and stay, etc. Didn't need any of it. The IO didn't look at a single thing. The key is that the IO needs to feel that the applicant is going to return home. Since she's worked at the same company for over 10 years, and is a well paid manager, that seemed to be good enough. 

Since they had my name and address they could have easily seen the many trips I made to Thailand in the last 3 years. Maybe they checked, maybe not. Maybe could have seen the next trip that was already ticketed.

Any advice to people to not be 100% honest is not good. It will probably trigger the IO's BS meter and result in a rejection. If you're caught lying, then you're banned from re-applying. 

On 5/13/2018 at 3:08 AM, INDI12 said:

mines was denied this week. I think like some have said they decide if you get it from ds-160 form only. Didnt look at anything you bring with you land chanotes etc. only thing look at was my 2 passports. stamped 6 month here 6 month there for more than  15 years. 30 yr land lease here. 15 yrs into it. She owns her own house outright. Been out of country several times and returned. (granted no first world countries but been and back other countries.)

I am 57

she 43

not married and no kids either of us.

her last job was for 15 yrs same company

living together at my address 2 yrs +

shes not working been staying with me taking care of home garden me pets etc.

none of it mattered they don't look at any of it refused to look invite letter. and there is no where to explain situation on ds-160 except under why your unemployed.

Then no clear reason why denied so you could rectify it and try again. So now its on to Fiance visa or cr1. So instead of giving a visit visa and her returning. can get a green card and can stay forever..... that makes alot of sense

disappointing, the whole system. 5555

Too many GF come over on a tourist visa and then get married here and try to change the visa from a tourist visa to spousal visa once they're here. She fits the profile because of no job, living together, no kids to return to, your 6 months stays in both countries. The fact that you'll now apply for a Fiancee visa means they were right. They want you to apply for the right visa.

Edited by JerseytoBKK
  • Like 1

I don't think it is hard to get a tourist Visa.  Just have to have a  profile of a tourist.  I imagine the tax database tells them what type of income they have had.  I think Thailand is more electronic than you think.  

I have heard that if you get married on a tourist visa it will be hard to get a marriage visa.  

I also don't see any reason to pay for a lawyer or visa service.   Application fee is 165 USD and Visa service want 9000 baht.   

I see this as a good way to screen possible future partners.   Not saying if you don't get a Visa you are not a good person.  

Watch my next invite get rejected

23 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I don't think it is hard to get a tourist Visa.  Just have to have a  profile of a tourist.  I imagine the tax database tells them what type of income they have had.  I think Thailand is more electronic than you think.  

I have heard that if you get married on a tourist visa it will be hard to get a marriage visa.  

I also don't see any reason to pay for a lawyer or visa service.   Application fee is 165 USD and Visa service want 9000 baht.   

I see this as a good way to screen possible future partners.   Not saying if you don't get a Visa you are not a good person.  

Watch my next invite get rejected

I agree with "Just have to have a  profile of a tourist. ". Is the request for a 2 week trip or for a 3 month "trip"? In the US a 2 week trip is considered normal. Anything over 3 weeks and you'll draw suspicion as to the nature of your trip. If you're employed or claim to have a business, it would be extremely rare that you can leave for 4 weeks or longer.  

Well we had no plans  to get married. ( Just a visit) I would not have broken the law and married. I could marry here anytime. We just wanted a tourist visa. Visit my 4 bro 4 sisters & Sightseeing Honestly simple as that. 

23 minutes ago, INDI12 said:

Well we had no plans  to get married. ( Just a visit) I would not have broken the law and married. I could marry here anytime. We just wanted a tourist visa. Visit my 4 bro 4 sisters & Sightseeing Honestly simple as that. 

It is amazing to travel in the USA with a Thai woman.  Seeing America vis fresh eyes,  Their awe and comments give you fresh appreciation for America.   The natural wonders of Utah they just love.  

Yes I think it's best to say a 2-4 week visit.   But at interview they don't even ask to see travel itinerary.  

I'm British, working as a teacher.  My kid is British.  My wife is Laotian and we all live together as a family in Bangkok.  I'm on an Extension of Stay and my wife and kid are on Dependent extensions.  If I want to take my kid to Disneyland for a week, is my wife likely to get a US visa?  She has no money of her own, she just looks after our kid (and me) and legally can't work in Thailand.  We've been married for nearly 3 years.  She's visited the UK with me three times, in fact we married there.

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm British, working as a teacher.  My kid is British.  My wife is Laotian and we all live together as a family in Bangkok.  I'm on an Extension of Stay and my wife and kid are on Dependent extensions.  If I want to take my kid to Disneyland for a week, is my wife likely to get a US visa?  She has no money of her own, she just looks after our kid (and me) and legally can't work in Thailand.  We've been married for nearly 3 years.  She's visited the UK with me three times, in fact we married there.

I am thinking you could get your wife a USA tourist Visa.   Your legally married so that's a big difference.  It would be based on your job and earnings. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 7:53 PM, INDI12 said:

Just a visit) I would not have broken the law and married. I could marry here anytime. We just wanted a tourist visa. Visit my 4 bro 4 sisters & Sightseeing Honestly simple

But the issue is they don't know who's being honest or who's lying to beat the system.Unless you supply lot of reasons to return, I imagine that they are using the "when in doubt say no response".

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2017 at 5:09 AM, SEEDGER said:

There is an income requirement if you do the K1 US gov requires you to make Minimum 40K a year. That is regardless of how much money you have in the Bank. I went through this with an immigration attorney about 8 years ago.

Good Luck

Not true! The minimum annual income for a U.S. citizen applying for a K-1 visa is only 125% of the current poverty level. For 2018 and a household of 2 (U.S citizen and Thai wife) the requirement would be approx $20K.