Nightlife shut down again in chaweng

"samui used to be a party island now it believes it's own hype - soon it will collapse in on itself "

Samui used to be a beautiful, peaceful island where you went for a quiet honeymoon. Then the party animal arrived and destroyed it. The grumpy old white men were there long before the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll scene took over.

The Chinese and the gangs are just a natural extension to the changes wrought on the island by you party animals.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/17/2017 at 8:40 PM, PoorSucker said:

OMG, They are enforcing the law....

What next... Helmet, driving licence, drunk driving controls..

1.40 AM in south Chaweng, still party....

Exactly. The saying, from normally reliable source, is that Bo Phut got a new Chief of Police – they have a rotation system, so a big boss don't sit too long time in the same chair – and he comes from Bangkok, and he don't want any troubles (with military?), so therefore everybody shall close at 1 am sharp.

However, when driving back from a way too short party-exercise in Chaweng this Saturday, I noticed that the bars in other areas were still open, and music stages had full activity.

It has happened before, when a new Chief of Police arrives. Last time 1 am was enforced, was a number of years ago, resulting in a fairly big demonstration in front of Bo Phut (Chaweng) Police Station the next day; with stage, and big PA loud-speakers, and speakers that explained to the new mr. Big Boss how much it damaged the local business. Finally he, Big Boss himself, went up on stage and thanked for the explanations, and said that he now better understood; and the opening time was extended a little for the night life. However, after a while rumors said, that the new Big Boss had requested for a transfer (rumors also talked about family health), and after that was granted, everything came back to "normal",..

:intheclub:

However, that was years before the military began their clean-up – I'm not so sure if something similar may happen this time...:whistling:

On 6/18/2017 at 3:10 AM, samuijimmy said:

In Baan Por, and probably other places around the island, any loud music is supposed to stop at 10 pm ....

Samui used to be a "party island"  yeah right, I think not ....Once again Samui is painted with one brush...  Chawang is not all of Samui.

Yeah right, Samui is a party island, that's how it began, all way back from glorious the hippie-era, and still thousands of tourists comes here because of mainly that.

It's great with a variety of choices, and that some areas, like Bang Por, is silent and take their houses inside at night, and many other areas also are dead-as-a-Dodo around 10 pm, but let some dedicated zones continue that business, Samui is so famous for – in some's mind then infamous for – it has taken decades to build up that big business, partying is. But it can all be wasted in a few years – especially now with fast sharing social media – other areas are ready to take over, and will love to get a bite or more of that huge party-cake, which use to belong here; including engulf the Moon-parties.

IMHO let Chaweng keep it's nightlife til 2 am, and 3 am in certain party areas, if not bringing all night partying back, and keep that business going – after all, it's a happy healthy business, not another Pattaya. Even in this low season, where many of the usual holiday resorts are quite empty, Chaweng is full of life. Because young party folks of today are not old-style poor back-packers – time has changed – they actually spend quite a bit of money, staying in comfortable rooms (just look at for example Ark Bar Beach Resort), dine in good restaurants, meet in trendy cafés, and don't mind paying the price. A few year ago I realized that they charged 900 baht for a ticket to a Cha Cha Moon Beach party, because some trendy DJ played there; that was not the worst part, the worst part was, when coming early to be sure to be let in, that all 1,200 tickets were already sold out long before. I have meet kids – literally groups of young kids – at Green Mango, that stayed at 5-stars resorts like Santibury. I have helped a small group of 4-5 kids living on their own in a 15,000 baht a day Samui-villa to Full Moon Party. Try for example to calculate what up to 10,000 guests, spending the TAT figure of 5,000 baht each day, generates of turnover...

The Full Moon party is so big business, that right after the military coup they quickly made an exclusion of the curfew, so that, that party was untouched – only when the King passed away, the party-organizers themselves ceased a party –  it will indeed be bad for a lot of business, which include numerous others than just pubs and discos and beach bars, if the number of party-visitors decrease, or even vanish. That may be really bad for Samui...:sad:

21 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

One can only obtain a night club permit in an entertainment zone. Samui has no entertainment zones. Hence ALL establishments officially will need to close at midnight. This has been the law since as long as I can remember. But it always amazes me how many people are not aware of this law. And this includes plenty of bar and club owners on Samui.

Samui, or rather Chaweng, actually has an original entertainment zone; it's the area where Chaweng Lake View Arena is, but due to noise, that areas is not used...

On 6/18/2017 at 3:44 AM, Bigdogfarang said:

if you think nightlife is one of Samui's problems see what happens to this cesspit if they shut it down and young tourists stop coming 

Perhaps it won't be a cesspit any more?  (Your word, not mine)  

For every young, drunk monger that quits coming, they may get a whole, respectable family on holiday- with an actual holiday budget (Edit: and a little bit of self control, if only for the kids).

Gotta love the people who think tourism will collapse if they clean a place up a little bit.  As I recall, Las Vegas boomed when they started catering to families instead of guys out on a howler.

Edited by impulse

30 minutes ago, impulse said:

Perhaps it won't be a cesspit any more?  (Your word, not mine)  

For every young, drunk monger that quits coming, they may get a whole, respectable family on holiday- with an actual holiday budget (Edit: and a little bit of self control, if only for the kids).

Gotta love the people who think tourism will collapse if they clean a place up a little bit.  As I recall, Las Vegas boomed when they started catering to families instead of guys out on a howler.

I have to bow down to your superior moral standards and the superior authority to judge everybody you know nothing about

but repeat the same bullshit story you read in the lame stream media every day.

Interesting to know that people who go to bars are non respectable compared to rich, wealthy families !

Quite patheic really ...

15 minutes ago, brain150 said:

I have to bow down to your superior moral standards and the superior authority to judge everybody you know nothing about

but repeat the same bullshit story you read in the lame stream media every day.

Interesting to know that people who go to bars are non respectable compared to rich, wealthy families !

Quite patheic really ...

I have no issues with people who go to bars.

But being an old alkie myself, I do have serious reservations about people who rant about the decline in the quality of their life when the bars close a little early.  But that's okay.  I've met thousands of them, with many becoming lifetime friends.  We always keep a chair warm for them.

And like my old self, I have found that lots of people haven't a clue how bad their behavior gets carrying a snootful.  I was shocked at my own...  So pardon me if I want nothing to do with them after a few.  

Edit:  I didn't read about it in the MSM.  I lived it.  And I listened to thousands of others who lived it.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I have no issues with people who go to bars.

But being an old alkie myself, I do have serious reservations about people who rant about the decline in the quality of their life when the bars close a little early.  But that's okay.  I've met thousands of them, with many becoming lifetime friends.  We always keep a chair warm for them.

And like my old self, I have found that lots of people haven't a clue how bad their behavior gets carrying a snootful.  I was shocked at my own...  So pardon me if I want nothing to do with them after a few.  

I'll add my voice to parts of this.

I never got to the bottom as so many do, but I used to drink a lot. 

I have no problem with people having a drink, but when the third is begun either they go or I do.

Enjoy the bars, and don't drive home!

Cheers

28 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I'll add my voice to parts of this.

I never got to the bottom as so many do, but I used to drink a lot. 

I have no problem with people having a drink, but when the third is begun either they go or I do.

Enjoy the bars, and don't drive home!

Softening up a little bit, some folks remain delightful, drinking until dawn.  But the nature of alcohol, the drug, is that some subset of the people can't control how much they drink and some of them will behave badly.  Real badly.  Unfortunately, most laws have to be written to protect the public from the worst examples. 

Like so much of life, a small minority screws it up for everyone. 

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

Softening up a little bit, some folks remain delightful, drinking until dawn.  But the nature of alcohol, the drug, is that some subset of the people can't control how much they drink and some of them will behave badly.  Real badly.  Unfortunately, most laws have to be written to protect the public from the worst examples. 

Like so much of life, a small minority screws it up for everyone. 

I think we've veered a bit off topic, so to bring it back again...

I think it fine to have the bars open in Cheweng until late (they are open late everywhere else!). I just don't get the big deal about 2 AM or 1 AM. Is it really that different? 

Have fun all, and as I said, don't drive drunk!

Cheers

Edited by Samui Bodoh

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I think we've veered a bit off topic, so to bring it back again...

I think it fine to have the bars open in Cheweng until late (they are open late everywhere else!). I just don't get the big deal about 2 AM or 1 AM. Is it really that different?

Have fun all, and as I said, don't drive drunk!

Cheers

It actually is – and before, and usually, it was actually 2 am at the beach, and 3 am in the soi Green Mango part-zone – because it seem like many start with some dinner, then a café and/or the beach party, and finally head up to the disco's, where real activity begin just before 1 am. When the beach and other places closed 2 am, many would head to soi Green Mango for little late partying the last hour.

So closing at 1 am is too early. Bear in mind, that Samui is not much beer bar nightlife, the huge majority are young folks partying like at home, where many head out to dance venues between 11 pm and Midnight, or even just after Midnight, so in the interest of tourists it's too early; and don't expect tourists to change habits, they may instead change destination. And for the locals, it also seem to me that many Thais head out for night-life fairly late...

:smile:

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It actually is – and before, and usually, it was actually 2 am at the beach, and 3 am in the soi Green Mango part-zone – because it seem like many start with some dinner, then a café and/or the beach party, and finally head up to the disco's, where real activity begin just before 1 am. When the beach and other places closed 2 am, many would head to soi Green Mango for little late partying the last hour.

So closing at 1 am is too early. Bear in mind, that Samui is not much beer bar nightlife, the huge majority are young folks partying like at home, where many head out to dance venues between 11 pm and Midnight, or even just after Midnight, so in the interest of tourists it's too early; and don't expect tourists to change habits, they may instead change destination. And for the locals, it also seem to me that many Thais head out for night-life fairly late...

:smile:

I'll take your word for it, but remain confused! :smile:

40 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Bear in mind, that Samui is not much beer bar nightlife, the huge majority are young folks partying like at home,

Does that mean they use drugs instead of alcohol ? 

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

Exactly. The saying, from normally reliable source, is that Bo Phut got a new Chief of Police – they have a rotation system, so a big boss don't sit too long time in the same chair – and he comes from Bangkok, and he don't want any troubles (with military?), so therefore everybody shall close at 1 am sharp.

However, when driving back from a way too short party-exercise in Chaweng this Saturday, I noticed that the bars in other areas were still open, and music stages had full activity.

It has happened before, when a new Chief of Police arrives. Last time 1 am was enforced, was a number of years ago, resulting in a fairly big demonstration in front of Bo Phut (Chaweng) Police Station the next day; with stage, and big PA loud-speakers, and speakers that explained to the new mr. Big Boss how much it damaged the local business. Finally he, Big Boss himself, went up on stage and thanked for the explanations, and said that he now better understood; and the opening time was extended a little for the night life. However, after a while rumors said, that the new Big Boss had requested for a transfer (rumors also talked about family health), and after that was granted, everything came back to "normal",..

:intheclub:

However, that was years before the military began their clean-up – I'm not so sure if something similar may happen this time...:whistling:

Yeah right, Samui is a party island, that's how it began, all way back from glorious the hippie-era, and still thousands of tourists comes here because of mainly that.

It's great with a variety of choices, and that some areas, like Bang Por, is silent and take their houses inside at night, and many other areas also are dead-as-a-Dodo around 10 pm, but let some dedicated zones continue that business, Samui is so famous for – in some's mind then infamous for – it has taken decades to build up that big business, partying is. But it can all be wasted in a few years – especially now with fast sharing social media – other areas are ready to take over, and will love to get a bite or more of that huge party-cake, which use to belong here; including engulf the Moon-parties.

IMHO let Chaweng keep it's nightlife til 2 am, and 3 am in certain party areas, if not bringing all night partying back, and keep that business going – after all, it's a happy healthy business, not another Pattaya. Even in this low season, where many of the usual holiday resorts are quite empty, Chaweng is full of life. Because young party folks of today are not old-style poor back-packers – time has changed – they actually spend quite a bit of money, staying in comfortable rooms (just look at for example Ark Bar Beach Resort), dine in good restaurants, meet in trendy cafés, and don't mind paying the price. A few year ago I realized that they charged 900 baht for a ticket to a Cha Cha Moon Beach party, because some trendy DJ played there; that was not the worst part, the worst part was, when coming early to be sure to be let in, that all 1,200 tickets were already sold out long before. I have meet kids – literally groups of young kids – at Green Mango, that stayed at 5-stars resorts like Santibury. I have helped a small group of 4-5 kids living on their own in a 15,000 baht a day Samui-villa to Full Moon Party. Try for example to calculate what up to 10,000 guests, spending the TAT figure of 5,000 baht each day, generates of turnover...

The Full Moon party is so big business, that right after the military coup they quickly made an exclusion of the curfew, so that, that party was untouched – only when the King passed away, the party-organizers themselves ceased a party –  it will indeed be bad for a lot of business, which include numerous others than just pubs and discos and beach bars, if the number of party-visitors decrease, or even vanish. That may be really bad for Samui...:sad:

Samui, or rather Chaweng, actually has an original entertainment zone; it's the area where Chaweng Lake View Arena is, but due to noise, that areas is not used...

Thank you kuhnper I tried to tag you when I wrote this thread but couldn't work out how I knew you would know know the detail to the early closures and bring a similar perspective - you are probably the one person on this thread that goes to green mango more than me and at 69 that's some achievement (you not me lol) I wanted your view on some people's assertion that green mango is a dangerous place with gun shootings - running battles between Thais and foreigners and multiple knife incidents as claimed by another poster - whilst one reads of isolated incidents I have never seen any serious violence there in 20 years of going - certainly nothing like the level of  violence in night clubs in the west - your experience here would be appreciated

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I'll take your word for it, but remain confused! :smile:

It's a nightclub not a bar - bars are for early evening drinking then everyone goes to a nightclub for a drunken dance - surely you are familiar with nightlclubs? Most in the uk or anywhere don't even open until midnight so to close at 1am kills it 

2 hours ago, balo said:

Does that mean they use drugs instead of alcohol ? 

Not to my knowledge, but as I'm not coming in that kind of circles I dont know. But if you know Samui, and especially Chaweng, you also know that there are not that many beer bars (bars with ladies), but many discos, beach bars and parties, and trendy cafés and pubs. Buckets is a specialty, and many seem to drink cocktails; but of course also beers are consumed...:tongue:

Lmao nightly battles between local youths and tourists you read too much thai visa - I go to green mango most nights and have only EVER seen one fight and that was two tourists and was stopped in seconds - I see much much more violence in nightclubs in the west.

if you think nightlife is one of Samui's problems see what happens to this cesspit if they shut it down and young tourists stop coming 

You are contradicting yourself in a bitter and angry manner.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

38 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Thank you kuhnper I tried to tag you when I wrote this thread but couldn't work out how I knew you would know know the detail to the early closures and bring a similar perspective - you are probably the one person on this thread that goes to green mango more than me and at 69 that's some achievement (you not me lol) I wanted your view on some people's assertion that green mango is a dangerous place with gun shootings - running battles between Thais and foreigners and multiple knife incidents as claimed by another poster - whilst one reads of isolated incidents I have never seen any serious violence there in 20 years of going - certainly nothing like the level of  violence in night clubs in the west - your experience here would be appreciated

Thank you.

I got no idea about tagging, either.

If Green Mango is a dangerous place in my view..?

I'll be something like 100 times more scared to walk out at night in my "safe" hometown, Copenhagen – I read horror stories in the news about people being stabbed to death and shot – I've never felt unsafe at night anywhere in Thailand; and I've been walking alone at night in many places, including Bangkok and Samui.

I've seen brawl a few times in Green Mango during the the 12 years I've been coming there regularly – in average twice a week – but I been visiting the place since 2001. Normally – and that goes for the brawls I've seen – it's tourists (farangs) getting angry at each other about something, and often their friends manage to stop them, before the security guards comes, but it also happens they separate the parts a throw them out of the club. If I shall put a number on, then perhaps twice in a year, or less, so if coming about 100 nights it's 2 percent or less. I've never heard about knife attacks or shooting inside the club – and I'm not saying it haven't happen, I'm saying I'm not aware of it – but I read the news story about the mom (British I think) complaining about her kid being beaten by some Chinese high school kids; but there might be more to the story than the moms version, as there was some talk about a girl, too confusing to know who she was with, but she had been together with both parts, and the fight should have been about that girl. It took place inside the club, but outside of CCTV-area, so only spoken words about it.

But outside in soi Green Mango, I've heard about several incidents; often Thais. If they have been guests in Green Mango, we don't know, they may also have guests in now defunct Sound Club – many Thais came there late night, and sometimes they were fighting, but often outside, or they ran outside in the soi – a few times police closed Sound Club early (so after 2 am or 3 am, and closing time of Green Mango Club) because of something in the soi. The news reported about one case with a German expat, who got stabbed by some Thai teed kids at the motorbike parking opposite Green Mango, because he complained about them sitting on his bike. The story said they (or at least the German) were guests ofrom Sound Club; as it was late (or early), they may have ended the night there, but the German had a lady beer bar on the entrance to Soi Reggae, so perhaps he came after closing his own business. The case is to my knowledge still unsettled, and some has been complaining about it's because the Thai teens are from influential Samui-families; that's what the news stories wrote.

But there can of course be lots of incidents we (me and my normally reliable sources) don't know about.

By the way, I'm still quite young, so far only 67...:biggrin:

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:

Green Mango is a dangerous place to be on your own, no matter what age you are. 

This may be mitigated by being able to speak Thai or having people you know on the island.

Mitigated later as it won't be of much help if you are alone and around a group of inebriated morons.

The Soi is sadly populated by too many of them in the early hours.

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:

Green Mango is a dangerous place to be on your own, no matter what age you are. 

This may be mitigated by being able to speak Thai or having people you know on the island.

Total nonsense. It absolutely is not.

3 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Total nonsense. It absolutely is not.

At 3am?

You have to be kidding.

True to say on most nights all is fine if you are careful but you can for sure walk into the middle of a chaotic scene there much more often than anywhere else on the island by a long way.

6 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

At 3am?

You have to be kidding.

True to say on most nights all is fine if you are careful but you can for sure walk into the middle of a chaotic scene there much more often than anywhere else on the island by a long way.

at 3am the soi is full of happy party goers mostly in their 20s either getting food or picking up the many freelance thai girls hanging around there are no roving thai gangs of men waiting to beat up foreigners absolute nonsense and I would feel far safer there than in London at 3am - the dimly lit main road in chaweng at 3am different story lots of roving ladyboys on scooters trying to give you a lift home - that's about as much danger as you will face. I will gladly take anyone proclaiming it as a danger zone for a 3am walk there to point out what I'm

missing ... of course now at 3am it will be deserted as the over zealous new police chief is inadvisably flexing his muscles and shutting it down at 1am 

Edited by Bigdogfarang

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

...:whistling:

Yeah right, Samui is a party island, that's how it began, all way back from glorious the hippie-era, and still thousands of tourists comes here because of mainly that.

...:sad:

The term party island may be a bit exaggerated with that few discos and music clubs. The overwhelming majority of expats and tourists are not here to party, but for beach and palm trees, the whole easy going tropical island scenery, all way back from glorious the hippie-era.

2 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

at 3am the soi is full of happy party goers mostly in their 20s either getting food or picking up the many freelance thai girls hanging around there are no roving thai gangs of men waiting to beat up foreigners absolute nonsense and I would feel far safer there than in London at 3am - the dimly lit main road in chaweng at 3am different story lots of roving ladyboys on scooters trying to give you a lift home - that's about as much danger as you will face. I will gladly take anyone proclaiming it as a danger zone for a 3am walk there to point out what I'm

missing ... of course now at 3am it will be deserted as the over zealous new police chief is inadvisably flexing his muscles and shutting it down at 1am 

Again...some of us see reality whilst others prefer to look through their rose petalled glasses.

35 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Again...some of us see reality whilst others prefer to look through their rose petalled glasses.

Possibly a job at the daily mail awaits you ? Uk sensationalist tabloid if you are not form those parts. You keep living in fear if you choose. Not how I want to live life that's for sure 

2 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Possibly a job at the daily mail awaits you ? Uk sensationalist tabloid if you are not form those parts. You keep living in fear if you choose. Not how I want to live life that's for sure 

Sure sure.  I can only speak from my own personal experience.

Yours may vary, just keep on going every night and eventually your eyes will be opened.

5 hours ago, Birdman said:

The term party island may be a bit exaggerated with that few discos and music clubs. The overwhelming majority of expats and tourists are not here to party, but for beach and palm trees, the whole easy going tropical island scenery, all way back from glorious the hippie-era.

Yes, today – but that's not how it started, if all the tales from the glorious hippie-era is true, and that was what I referred to – and even in more so-called quiet areas of present time, they also party, but more hi-so style like at Q-barNikki Beach, and Beach Republic, and other places; not to forget all the one-off parties, for example weddings that folks travel to Samui for; it may not be that "overwhelming" majority of tourists that are non-partiers...:smile:

7 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

I see exactly the same, and I've been seeing it at least 100 nights a year for more than 10-years now, plus during my regular Samui-visits the five year before that decade – and even I'm from Denmark, I've been more than 50 times to London, so also know what it's like to walk there late at night, alone...:thumbsup: