Snakes alive – beware the month of June in Thailand especially in Chonburi!

Inspire

14 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

yes and usually with a bamboo pole 4m long, they don't like getting too close.

euhhhhhh.....

Observe the 4m pole and the special professional footwear and leg protection....

It was a spitting cobra.

P1120037.JPG

15 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

the rat snakes we get in the garden, frequently, are usually 1 to 2 m long and the last one right outside the kitchen door was an oriental nearly 2m long. we always know when there's a snake in the garden as the buffalo birds, Asian mynah birds, scream their heads off and chase the snakes. we have 2 dogs, the youngest keeps finding red necked keelbacks, and touch wood we haven't any vipers yet. our kitchen door is open all the time and when I go into the kitchen at night I switch the light on before I enter wary of kraits, this is the snake I'm most worried about after living 3 yrs in India.

The commonest snakes on our property are these long skinny green tree snake ones and various members of the viper family.  Bright green vipers with a light tan tip on the tail and Malayan Pit vipers.  Nasty.    I thought I killed a krait once and sent a pic of it to the snake man Vern Lovic and he says it was a non venemous striped one.  Tough.  I will kill the next one I see too!   Not aware of birds chasing snakes but our cats & dogs have killed them.  I have found them dead all tooth marked over.   I hope they don't get bitten by a venomous one doing that.  I saw what I think was a rat snake under some roofing iron once and he was over 2 metres, black or dark grey on top & pale underneath.  Probably close to 3 metres long and nearly 1" hose diameter.  He moved real fast, about nearly human jogging speed.   And a Python came aross the property and into the garage one night.  The dogs woke us up to tell us something was wrong.  It was a very urgent "wake up" call not of the "people" kind.  He was quite big but slow moving.  He climbed up into the truck rear suspension , so I drove off the property and poked him out with a long bamboo till he went to visit the army who border us on one side.

On 6/18/2017 at 1:02 PM, Rimmer said:

You are right, I uploaded the wrong picture and never checked it :sad:

Here is the one I should have uploaded

EDIT

These guys are also dangerous so do not mess with them or try to keep them as pets 

PA240071.JPG

I have new respect for you. You took the time to understand your environment  and spent the money to protect your family and the reptiles. Congrats 

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM, sandrabbit said:

yes and usually with a bamboo pole 4m long, they don't like getting too close.

A number of 2 / 3 metre lengths of No 8 fencing wire twisted together make the best snake "cure all" around my house, 1 well placed application of said equipment and the problem is solved - permanently. 

On 2017-6-19 at 3:26 PM, Wake Up said:

I have new respect for you. You took the time to understand your environment  and spent the money to protect your family and the reptiles. Congrats 

Two days ago, we had two snake incidents is a row, first a bronzeback in the tea field and then a kukri snake by the house. I let both go on their way because they were easy to identify and I wasn't worried about them. The surprise was my wife was fine with the decision. She has probably never let a snake get by alive in her life. I am having some effect I guess.

However, we have killed a number of pit vipers in the last year. They are not worth the risk. The green ones especially. They do not run away they just sit their until you get too close. When we are in the tea we can't see them, and the green ones are invisible there. We had a chain viper in there too. All of these guys develop sudden head injuries and that is just the way it is.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Two days ago, we had two snake incidents is a row, first a bronzeback in the tea field and then a kukri snake by the house. I let both go on their way because they were easy to identify and I wasn't worried about them. The surprise was my wife was fine with the decision. She has probably never let a snake get by alive in her life. I am having some effect I guess.

However, we have killed a number of pit vipers in the last year. They are not worth the risk. The green ones especially. They do not run away they just sit their until you get too close. When we are in the tea we can't see them, and the green ones are invisible there. We had a chain viper in there too. All of these guys develop sudden head injuries and that is just the way it is.

I certainly understand your thoughts. I appreciate you releasing the not venomous snakes.  

On 6/18/2017 at 11:54 AM, Rimmer said:

We are about 22km outside of Pattaya on the south side. 

We also had seven of these guys hatch out under the pool deck, they then grew into 2 mtr monsters and ate all the coy carp in the pond, so had to build a big trap for them to get them outside, that is the second picture.

Fred Taking the sun.JPG

Freda.JPG

Wow. Pretty close to home here in Bang Saray.
I do not get out into the "rough" much these days, though.
I like your catch and release philosophy. How I have handled rattlesnake incursions back in Arizona and New Mexico.

Edited by Bill Miller

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:54 AM, Rimmer said:

We are about 22km outside of Pattaya on the south side. 

We also had seven of these guys hatch out under the pool deck, they then grew into 2 mtr monsters and ate all the coy carp in the pond, so had to build a big trap for them to get them outside, that is the second picture.

Fred Taking the sun.JPG

Freda.JPG

I would find it more enjoyable and interesting to have these big lizards on my property than koi carp.   Maybe tame them by feeding them some dog food... think they would make for some good conversation when guests came around. 

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I would find it more enjoyable and interesting to have these big lizards on my property than koi carp.   Maybe tame them by feeding them some dog food... think they would make for some good conversation when guests came around. 

Yes one or two is very nice and we enjoyed watching them swim around in the pond and climb the trees but seven.....

We also have six cats and probably they would have eaten them eventually

June certainly seems to be the month. All year nothing now 3 rat snakes a pit viper and a king Cobra. Only got close to the viper. Caught it with a length of 1/2" pipe with a rope looped inside it. Got the snake in the loop and pulled it tight enough to hold. Took it out to waste land and released.

Thai wife will not allow me to kill it. Bad feng shui.

1497603913898.jpg

1497604170632.jpg

I found a snake trying to get into my house last week, it was black but it scuttled away quickly when it saw me. Then some days later I was walking out of my house and looked down, I had accidentally stood on a baby snake, the same colour and I think same breed as the adult I had seen. 

Remember, snakes are territorial...they always come back to a place they liked ......one hates killing animals, I agree, so it's a matter of individual choice, belief or customs.....

What about those ultra sound solar powered snake repellant? has anybody tried them?

Lemon grass, garlic are said to keep these boys at bay......as well as certain plant species that are known snake repellents such as Marigold flowers or a plant named  "Mother in law snake tongue" (check them out).  Has anybody got some good results with these botanical repellants?

Edited by observer90210

So a good Samaritan can handle venomous

snakes......catches them ,throw them over the wall.......

snake climes in again......Samaritan has to find it ,handle it ,........

it seems a very risky business? 

One of the days the snake gone find his child first , and then it will be the big crying......?

A smart Samaritan will smash the snake the first time and will minimise the risk for his family,

if this is snake land .....why do you come live on their land in the first place?????

Where my house is ,is my land ...not snake land .

I know the record on introducing species to control other species isn't good: cane toads in Australia?!

But you've got to wonder whether it wouldn't be a good idea to try honey badgers in some parts of Thailand. They eat snakes like spaghetti, and if the honey badgers start to become a problem you can shoot them with a little rifle.