Is gold still a good investment?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Historically, gold has never been a "good investment" 

It can usually help maintain your wealth but its pretty terrible at making people wealthy and its basically  always been like that with a few exceptions ... 

I suppose if you bought a couple Kilo's back in 1992 when it was about $60 an ounce and sold it at the high in 2012 of $1990 it would have been a good investment, many experts still recommend you have a small prcentage of portfolio  in hard Gold.  I don't have anymore

16 hours ago, speedtripler said:

how exactly does one " devalue a bitcoin " ?

what are these credible places you speak of ?

without even knowing id say they have a vested interest in something else 

because conventional finance products and the swindlers that sell them to you 

dont want you buying anything they cant control of or make a profit from .....

Hence the negativity about bitcoin ........

Bitcoins, like any other "virtual asset" only have value when you use them to purchase something else.

The only value a Bitcoin has is what someone else is willing to give you for it.

When speaking of "devaluation", the term is most often used in reference to using a Bitcoin to purchase a currency (like USD or THB).

If tomorrow, faith in Bitcoins is utterly lost, then you might only be able to get 1 USD for a Bitcoin.

That would be a devaluation from today's levels.

7 hours ago, timendres said:

Bitcoins, like any other "virtual asset" only have value when you use them to purchase something else.

The only value a Bitcoin has is what someone else is willing to give you for it.

When speaking of "devaluation", the term is most often used in reference to using a Bitcoin to purchase a currency (like USD or THB).

If tomorrow, faith in Bitcoins is utterly lost, then you might only be able to get 1 USD for a Bitcoin.

That would be a devaluation from today's levels.

People have lost faith in every fiat currency in the history of the world at one stage or another and there is nothing to suggest the paper money from today will fare any different 

Enough people globally  believing in btc makes me feel safe about it, it can't be printed in truckloads like other Currencies and I like the idea of international stateless money

Of course nothing lasts forever but I have no doubts bitcoin will live longer than I will... 

4 hours ago, speedtripler said:

People have lost faith in every fiat currency in the history of the world at one stage or another and there is nothing to suggest the paper money from today will fare any different 

Enough people globally  believing in btc makes me feel safe about it, it can't be printed in truckloads like other Currencies and I like the idea of international stateless money

Of course nothing lasts forever but I have no doubts bitcoin will live longer than I will... 

Until it is replaced by Ethereum's ether...

Bitcoin, ether, US Dollar, gold.... It is all based on faith. Don't kid yourself.

bc-v-ether.png

35 minutes ago, timendres said:

Until it is replaced by Ethereum's ether...

Bitcoin, ether, US Dollar, gold.... It is all based on faith. Don't kid yourself.

bc-v-ether.png

Bitcoin was the first and started with 100%  of the market 

at the start of your "bitcoin is being replaced " graph a bitcoin was around $400 

today its around $2600 and the supply is capped 

ethereum is a different animal, its uncapped and its designed to be burned as "gas " to run Decentralised applications   ,even its creator has said its main function is not money or store of value 

I dont think its an either /or race but i believe they will co-exist and serve seperate functions 

(i choose to hold both )

Let's talk about what paper money, or internet money, is worth after the next crash which is predicted for the next year or so.

What happened to Gadafi when he threatened to put the Libyan Dinar on a gold standard?

Second question, where is that gold now?

The Petro-dollar may well collapse if Trump decides to cease stoking up an oil shortage world wide by sowing discord among oil producing / pipeline carrying countries. He won't.

Why are the Russians and the Chinese buying gold again?

I have never owned gold.  Never will, my outlook and priorities are not compatible with inv sting in gold.  I do think gold has a place in certain kinds of protrolios.  It should be part of your portfolio if you think inflation will ever return or if you beleive there is a reasonable chance that the worst case scenario is will materialize.

2 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

... or if you beleive there is a reasonable chance that the worst case scenario is will materialize.

I like your optimism that you, in terms of your own investment decisions, have ruled out a "worst case scenario". It of course depends on how you define such a scenario (be it WW III or "just" a major financial crisis and disappearing trust in fiat money) but ok, as I said, I like your optimistic attitude and view on the state of world and financial affairs. ;-)))

40 minutes ago, cooked said:

Let's talk about what paper money, or internet money, is worth after the next crash which is predicted for the next year or so.

What happened to Gadafi when he threatened to put the Libyan Dinar on a gold standard?

Second question, where is that gold now?

The Petro-dollar may well collapse if Trump decides to cease stoking up an oil shortage world wide by sowing discord among oil producing / pipeline carrying countries. He won't.

Why are the Russians and the Chinese buying gold again?

I agree with your observations and I think paper money is being ridiculously devalued due to govts with printing presses... 

The world is moving away from the petro dollar domination  and Russians and Chinese are amongst the biggest buyers of bitcoin which has a limited and finite supply... 

A lot of smart Americans have also realised this already and buying it to hedge against conventional markets tanking, usd depreciation and  other financial mishaps

On 6/19/2017 at 8:33 PM, melovethai said:

The bigger the Risk = The bigger the return or loss. Personal choice. Buying something that you can touch or posses is better than paper money if you want a more stable investment long term.

Sure thing. 5 year return on gold -23%. Touch that.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:01 AM, tonray said:

Storable food and water ? oh boy...that will pay your expenses in retiremnent....5555

Billions around the world presently aren't paying expenses as they lost everything. They are eating out of garbage cans.  Storable food prices have doubled and tripled over the years and if sent to  disaster areas the investment would be five times what you paid for it when sold in small quantities.

On 6/19/2017 at 2:43 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

I suppose if you bought a couple Kilo's back in 1992 when it was about $60 an ounce and sold it at the high in 2012 of $1990 it would have been a good investment, many experts still recommend you have a small prcentage of portfolio  in hard Gold.  I don't have anymore

the last time an ounce of gold was $60 was 1973 :whistling:

On 6/19/2017 at 1:15 PM, Brunolem said:

Market performances of bitcoin, gold and about everything else are meaningless since markets are shamelessly and overtly manipulated...especially gold with unknown sellers regularly dumping tons of paper gold to keep the price low...the goal being to push everyone in the stock market until, one more time, it blows up...or rather down...in their face...

Gold is more an insurance than an investment.

It should be owned and safely kept outside the banking system.

Bitcoin, as well as most e currencies these days, appears to be in a developing bubble.

Ultimately, the decision to buy gold depends on the buyer's confidence in the future, and especially in the house of cards that is today's financial system...

Agree. And at the gold ETF redemption window there will be counterfeit currency available for all. 

Edited by Timebandit
clarification

22 hours ago, DUS said:

I like your optimism that you, in terms of your own investment decisions, have ruled out a "worst case scenario". It of course depends on how you define such a scenario (be it WW III or "just" a major financial crisis and disappearing trust in fiat money) but ok, as I said, I like your optimistic attitude and view on the state of world and financial affairs. ;-)))

The global financial system is well into the vortex of the flushed toilet.  I have one ace up my sleeve ... I am too old for it to matter at this point :))))

On 6/20/2017 at 9:17 PM, SheungWan said:

Sure thing. 5 year return on gold -23%. Touch that.

What has been the return on any insurance policy at the end of 12 months for which you paid an annual premium but which has expired due to effluction of time ? Zero- touch that

Not everyone thinks in such a distorted and biased way as you do as a cheerleader for the criminal banskster cartels who just want to see the Fiat fiasco continue.

Edited by midas

All the gold bugs who have lost a bucket load of money buying lumps of gold the last few years and sticking it in their apartment safes tell me that it is an 'insurance policy' and that they are not bothered by the downside. Yeah, right. Would have been miles better off even just holding worthless fiat dollars and sticking it under the mattress. :post-4641-1156694572:

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

All the gold bugs who have lost a bucket load of money buying lumps of gold the last few years and sticking it in their apartment safes tell me that it is an 'insurance policy' and that they are not bothered by the downside. Yeah, right. Would have been miles better off even just holding worthless fiat dollars and sticking it under the mattress. :post-4641-1156694572:

Incorrect!  

And yet another predictably dumb comment from the banksters friend

I haven’t lost even a single satang until I actually sell the gold and I won’t be doing that until the day arrives that fiat  currency will only be useful as toilet paper (and it will happen because history has taught us that).

1 hour ago, midas said:

Incorrect!  

And yet another predictably dumb comment from the banksters friend

I haven’t lost even a single satang until I actually sell the gold and I won’t be doing that until the day arrives that fiat  currency will only be useful as toilet paper (and it will happen because history has taught us that).

1 hour ago, Naam said:

this is called creative accounting invented by the proverbial milkmaid.

The guy who sold the gold may have made a massive profit in $$ but of course he, the buyer, hasn't made a loss. Oh no. Just sits there waiting for Armageddon. Great zero dividends as well.

Edited by SheungWan

9 hours ago, mogandave said:

Nothing wrong with holding a little gold, but not if your looking for growth.

As far as a market collapse, when people get hungry or need fuel, what good will gold do?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Of course you could be right and if there is no credible medium of exchange of value left then people might just steal what they want:giggle:

bits of paper with the words " in God we trust " and digitised figures on a computer certainly won't be the solution 

anyway we don't have long to wait now to see who was ultimately right or wrong

Finally, as America's decline accelerates, Eastern nations will without a doubt decouple completely from the US dollar as the world reserve currency and begin using the IMF Special Drawing Rights basket structure as a replacement. Russia will most likely lead this charge along with China. Americans will blame Russia in part for the demise of the dollar's buying power around the world. And, the rest of the world will blame the U.S. for the dollar's demise due to U.S. “imperialism” and overt sanctions against Russia. They will say we had it coming.

http://www.alt-market.com/articles/3216-the-real-purpose-behind-the-russiantrump-conspiracy-propaganda

Edited by midas