Transport Ministry defends the use of Section 44 to speed up train project

webfact

Transport Ministry defends the use of Section 44 to speed up train project

IMG_2064.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry has defended the government’s invocation of Section 44 of the interim Constitution to speed up the implementation of the Thai-Chinese high-speed train project between Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Mr Surapong Paitoonpong, assistant permanent secretary of Transport Ministry made the clarification in defence of the government’s action against the allegations made by the Thai Constitution Protection Association.

He said that Section 44 did not exempt Chinese engineers and architects from the the engineer and architect laws except for the provisions regarding application for operating licenses. He insisted that the Thai side could file civil lawsuits to demand compensation from the Chinese side in case damages are caused by the Chinese during the project implementation.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-ministry-defends-use-section-44-speed-train-project/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-19

13 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

So long as they do not use martial law to take short cuts on safety issues.  Train wrecks can kill lots of people. 

They don't need to invoke martial law or 44 to take shortcuts on safety issues. That just happens naturally, without any special permission.

I believe if something goes wrong with this project, be it deaths from negligent or non existence safety procedures, mass corruption, abandoned half finished project, not financially viable on completion etc etc that the people at the top will be willing to accept personal liability, both financially or any other means for their use of section 44 in circumventing the current laws to push this project.

Laws are presumably there for a reason, to try and minimize the aforementioned problems. Removing these laws in order to push the project through could have long negative (or positive) repercussion for Thailand. What is the point in even having the laws if they can be bypassed.

39 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I believe if something goes wrong with this project, be it deaths from negligent or non existence safety procedures, mass corruption, abandoned half finished project, not financially viable on completion etc etc that the people at the top will be willing to accept personal liability, both financially or any other means for their use of section 44 in circumventing the current laws to push this project.

Laws are presumably there for a reason, to try and minimize the aforementioned problems. Removing these laws in order to push the project through could have long negative (or positive) repercussion for Thailand. What is the point in even having the laws if they can be bypassed.

Laws here are for the rich people to force the poor people to behave correctly.

If one of the few "good people" breaks the law, the law does not count or another loophole is found.

Killing a cop in a nightclub: all of a sudden no witnesses anymore

Killing a cop with your sports car: it takes 5+ years to formulate what you did wrong

Doing a coup: privision added to the laws that your coup was legal

Having unexplainable wealth: its fine if I have it, but all the others should explain where they got their money from

I agree with you that Western countries use the law the way you mention, but this is Thailand.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Aren't you forgetting the junta bestowed an amnesty on itself for any wrongdoing whilst in power. It can act with impunity, whilst the commoners here are subjected to archaic laws designed to protect the 'right/good' people.

I guess it's not surprising that a Military "government" can't accomplish anything without issuing "orders"?

And all this just to build a 3.5 Km HSR "line", which seems little more than a "model train"?

I'm half-expecting the "PM" to issue an Article 44 order restricting "twerking".

This is stupid, so you change trains in Nakhon Ratchasima on the way to Nong Khai? 

The high speed rail in China is laid on top of large concrete beams from one end of the country to the other, unbelievably good and cheap travel. 

Guangzhou to Beijing 2300Klms 8 hours four stops and only $52 AUD second class aircon and airline quality seating ( good ones) 

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Laws here are for the rich people to force the poor people to behave correctly.

If one of the few "good people" breaks the law, the law does not count or another loophole is found.

Killing a cop in a nightclub: all of a sudden no witnesses anymore

Killing a cop with your sports car: it takes 5+ years to formulate what you did wrong

Doing a coup: privision added to the laws that your coup was legal

Having unexplainable wealth: its fine if I have it, but all the others should explain where they got their money from

I agree with you that Western countries use the law the way you mention, but this is Thailand.

I do agree with what you say in regard to Thailand.  Unfortunately much, and increasingly more, of what you say applies to North America (can't say for Europe).  In short order many of the laws will benefit the few over the many.  Let's not forget that the penitentiaries are full to busting with poor "bad" people while the rich plunder the public wealth safe under the laws they have written for themselves ... and sometimes set free because they have more and better lawyers.

The silly little General seems to hand out use of Article 44 like the keys to the executive toilet to ram through any large projects that will ensure that those in the food chain get to have their turn at the rough.

Chinese railway's are IMO some of the best in the world. The speed of installation and quality of travel is second to none. I work in China all of time and prefer to travel by train than plane.

This is a good this for Thailand. It part of the new Chinese belt and road initiative. 

2 hours ago, JulietLima said:

I agree with using the Law Sect 44. -- Law is there to be used when needed, specially for the benefit of the population as a whole.

I agree,  and the present government are doing a great job not abusing it. Most people are happy with the government, it's a shame only bad things are reported by news media.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Section 44 did not exempt Chinese engineers and architects from the the engineer and architect laws except

Which means Section 44 does exempt.

It's like saying, "I have never .... except when ... "

4 hours ago, chilli42 said:

I do agree with what you say in regard to Thailand.  Unfortunately much, and increasingly more, of what you say applies to North America (can't say for Europe).  In short order many of the laws will benefit the few over the many.  Let's not forget that the penitentiaries are full to busting with poor "bad" people while the rich plunder the public wealth safe under the laws they have written for themselves ... and sometimes set free because they have more and better lawyers.

I agree. I remember some teen from a wealthy family in Texass got probation for a conviction of DUI causing multiple deaths. The judge said it was due to "the poor rich kid syndrome" he suffered from. Within a year he violated probation. 

I see the republican congress is determined to kill the affordable care act and replace it with their (f*deleted) you care. But California just created their own single payer plan for all, using a 2.5 cent sales tax increase.