Cabinet endorses Article 44 for energy projects

webfact

Cabinet endorses Article 44 for energy projects
By THE NATION

16765cd2c41d097382d48ff51ee6b39f.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- THE CABINET yesterday endorsed a plan to exercise special power under Article 44 of the provisional charter to allow the farmland managed by the Agricultural Land Reform Office (ALRO) to be used for mining and the generation of energy, Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

As a result of the order, more than 3,600 rai (576 hectares) of land under ALRO control could be used for the production of fuel, plus windmills to generate electricity, and mining by companies that have state contracts or concessions, he said. 

The land is only 0.9 per cent of 41 million rai allocated for landless farmers across the country, he said. 

But farmers in possession of the affected land must be compensated, he said. The decision was opposed by civic groups that said the land was originally allocated for poor farmers, not for private-sector businesses. Use of the land for those purposes was also blocked by a Supreme Administrative Court ruling.

However, the invocation of Article 44 would break the legal deadlock for ongoing projects, but not new projects or others under consideration, he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318640

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-21

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Use of the land for those purposes was also blocked by a Supreme Administrative Court ruling.

Article 44 supersedes all court rulings with the authority of law backed by the Constitutional Court.

There is no limitation to which Prayut can invoke Article 44 whereas the article say it can only apply to ongoing projects. Case in point is the Chinese dual rail project.

What do you call a landless farmer - unemployed? Why not encourage him to get a job rather than give him a small plot of land so that he remains poor (and asking for subsidies) for the rest of his life. Then you can use the land foe something a lot more productive.

29 minutes ago, halloween said:

What do you call a landless farmer - unemployed?

Officially farmers and farm workers who are seasonally "inactive" are not accounted for as unemployed. (August 2015)

31 minutes ago, halloween said:

Why not encourage him to get a job

Because not having specialized skills and/or advanced education he can't get a job that pays enough to get out of debt, ie., minimum Bt300/day.

Economic challenges (2015):

• Total agricultural debt climbed to three trillion baht
  • 1.64 million farmers owed as much as Bt388 billion, or an average of Bt237,000 each
  • 85-89% of the low income earners such as farmers and general workers have created debts from spending on consumer products but only 17-18% of them are capable of servicing their debts - NESDB 
  • 315,848 farmers and farm workers became seasonally inactive, causing the seasonally inactive labor force to rise by 30.7%

Farmers and farm workers need retraining and additional education to either improve their farming enterprises or get work in more lucrative industries. Having the military offer minimum wage pay to dig well holes is nonproductive. A continued government policy of loan bailouts and soft loans will not constructively change farmer's economic future. So it's not a matter of just getting a job.

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Officially farmers and farm workers who are seasonally "inactive" are not accounted for as unemployed. (August 2015)

Because not having specialized skills and/or advanced education he can't get a job that pays enough to get out of debt, ie., minimum Bt300/day.

Economic challenges (2015):

• Total agricultural debt climbed to three trillion baht
  • 1.64 million farmers owed as much as Bt388 billion, or an average of Bt237,000 each
  • 85-89% of the low income earners such as farmers and general workers have created debts from spending on consumer products but only 17-18% of them are capable of servicing their debts - NESDB 
  • 315,848 farmers and farm workers became seasonally inactive, causing the seasonally inactive labor force to rise by 30.7%

Farmers and farm workers need retraining and additional education to either improve their farming enterprises or get work in more lucrative industries. Having the military offer minimum wage pay to dig well holes is nonproductive. A continued government policy of loan bailouts and soft loans will not constructively change farmer's economic future. So it's not a matter of just getting a job.

If he hasn't got any land, he's not seasonally inactive, he's unemployed. One of the ways to encourage someone to get a job is to train them to do something else, because as you have shown, labour intensive farming is just a way to remain poor.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

If he hasn't got any land, he's not seasonally inactive, he's unemployed. One of the ways to encourage someone to get a job is to train them to do something else, because as you have shown, labour intensive farming is just a way to remain poor.

Honestly Hallo, you haven't read Thailand 4.0. 

"Thailand 4.0 focuses on a “value-based economy,” as the country needs to deal effectively with disparities and the imbalance between the environment and society.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha explained that Thailand 4.0 has three elements, which mark a significant change in the country’s economy and production.

The first element aims to enhance the country’s standing to become a high-income nation through developing it as a knowledge-based economy. With an emphasis on research and development, science and technology, creative thinking, and innovation.

In the second element, Thailand will move toward an “inclusive society” with equitable access to the fruits of prosperity and development.

The third element focuses on “sustainable growth and development,” in order to achieve economic growth and sustainable development without destroying the environment."

Thailand is in the middle income trap at the moment? Thailand Business News.

Now based on what Srik said above and your comment, you might explain how a person is to get a job if they come from a rural economy or do they sit and wait for Thailand 4.0

I thought I already had, should I use smaller words? " One of the ways to encourage someone to get a job is to train them to do something else ......"

Just tell me which part you didn't understand and I will try to simplify it for you.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

I thought I already had, should I use smaller words? " One of the ways to encourage someone to get a job is to train them to do something else ......"

Just tell me which part you didn't understand and I will try to simplify it for you.

"Please do not feed the trolls".

10 minutes ago, halloween said:

No need to simplify further, what you say is simple enough. I mean, they can just train people to do something else and voila!, problem solved.

You're a genius. Why haven't anyone else though of this??

Yes, and please use smaller words. Preferably tiny, tiny words.

1 minute ago, Becker said:

No need to simplify further, what you say is simple enough. I mean, they can just train people to do something else and voila!, problem solved.

You're a genius. Why haven't anyone else though of this??

Yes, and please use smaller words. Preferably tiny, tiny words.

They do it in jail. Others might need some income support while training (hey, just like they do back home!). What doesn't make sense is giving landless farmers a small patch of ground which will never be enough to generate an income.

But you just wanted a cheap shot, no interest in the topic.

2 hours ago, halloween said:

If you don't want to know, don't ask, and post your BS without attaching to me.

Becker said it the best.

Halloween I would love to have a spirited conversation with you. However when you dig a hole you come swinging with a multitude of quotes, phrases that as a post don't make sense. You tend to be aggravating.

Remember our last encounter, your reply had over 11 issues to deal with but never responded to my material. That is an attack..

What I have done above is tried to enlighten you so you can develop an argument say with Becker above.

But you are loosing.

I even ticked a like on one of your posts because you made sense.