Tearful Yingluck hopes for a reprieve in rice case

webfact

Tearful Yingluck hopes for a reprieve in rice case
By THE NATION

a9de25fdf3bce056aaaf9fe7508ec589.jpg

Bursting with tear, former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra unleashes emotion at a merit making ceremony to bless her 50th birthday.

BANGKOK: -- FORMER PRIME MINISTER Yingluck Shinawatra said tearfully yesterday that she hoped to thank everyone in the country personally while assuring she would not flee the country as a court ruling approached in a case stemming from her government’s rice-pledging scheme.

“I am standing here to tell the truth. I hope to be spared if I tell the truth. I believe in my innocence in fighting this case,” she told reporters.

Her elder brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, opted to flee in 2008 before the same court issued a verdict in a case in which he was accused of abusing his power while serving as prime minister. He was found guilty and sentenced to two years in jail.

Yingluck, who headed the previous |government before the coup in May 2014, could not hold back tears yesterday as she said her life had been “extremely difficult” this year.

“It’s not the first time in my life that I have experienced problems and obstacles. But this year has been very difficult. I need to tell myself to be strong,” Yingluck said.

“I smile often but sometimes I can’t control my feelings. I’m sorry to have cried before you today. I try my best not to make people concerned about me but sometimes I’m not successful,” she added.

Yijngluck was at Sa Ket Temple in Bangkok to make merit on her 50th birthday. Also present were many politicians from the Pheu Thai Party and her supporters. 

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders is hearing a case in which Yingluck is accused of negligence for failing to stop massive irregularities stemming from the rice-pledging scheme.

The last hearing of defence witnesses is scheduled for July 21 and both parties will have 30 days before presenting their closing statements. After that, the court has 14 days to issue a verdict in the case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318743

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-22

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't cry for me oh sweet Thailand

The truth is I never meant to rort you so much

Just a little bit, and then a little bit, 

I thought it was all underhand

Corruption became my crutch

And in the end I don't give a shirt

Have I said too much, There is nothing left to say for me

I left your country broke. sabaidee.. 

1 minute ago, Thechook said:

Meanwhile the Junta has cleaned out the trough buying toys for their mates and having an absolute party.

Oh chook, you did not like my rendition. Maybe it went over your head.

As for what the current regime is doing, I don't give a rats.

The farmers now have certainty, they are taking out loans to buy crops.

The rain is being helpful. Farmers no longer need to rely on "pledges or schemes"

Just their nous. And that good old Thai go get em spirit is back. (To quote the yanks)

You should visit Thailand. If you do live here, get out of the slums and visit real Thailand.

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

Happy Birthday YL, Chin Up reverse face will happen one day just wait and see

The Yingluck Chin Up is just a romance.

The Yingluck Chin up, come on take a chance,

put your hand in the till, such a big thrill

Then we do the crocodile dance

Yeah baby do the crocodile dance

Spill some tears,

take away all your fears

And then run away to Meddle East. err sorry that has no rhyme or rhythm. 

Just now, bristolgeoff said:

hoping for no time in prison or a huge fine,brother help me please.maybe she can go to the temple like that actress did and all is forgiven.somehow her head will roll for this one.

No, that is not how it works here. She will be publicly shamed.

She is all about wat going, showing remorse. She is halfway to public shame.

Nearly there for the unimpeachable. That is how it works.

Truth to be told, she was nothing but a puppet on a string for her brother

and his cohorts, she was qualified to be a PM as anyone else in the street,

and if you'd asked her, she'd tell you that she was a reluctant PM but

became one to insure her brother's proxy rule.....

She is the Asian version of Donald Trump.

She wants us to believe everybody is picking on HER.

She knows how to look pretty and all the old men can still believe they will get a chance to get her middle aged body if they just don't say  naughty things about her.

Boo Hoo, I am still a good looking woman, please don't pick on me.

No we are not fooled.

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Truth to be told, she was nothing but a puppet on a string for her brother

and his cohorts, she was qualified to be a PM as anyone else in the street,

and if you'd asked her, she'd tell you that she was a reluctant PM but

became one to insure her brother's proxy rule.....

Truth be told, she caused untold misery on the rurals.

She schemed and scammed. She cost people their farms, sometimes their lives.

Rural Thailand is only now recovering. But the burden on

people who now have to support a family that has now lost its land holding also takes its toll.

She will be shamed, and losing face is the big factor here. But she has blood on her scheming hands

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“It’s not the first time in my life that I have experienced problems and obstacles. But this year has been very difficult.

Try having your only commercial asset taken by a govt, who then refuses to pay for it, because their inept policy means they have no funds to do so. 

That's an obstacle that is difficult to face. 

59 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Oh chook, you did not like my rendition. Maybe it went over your head.

As for what the current regime is doing, I don't give a rats.

The farmers now have certainty, they are taking out loans to buy crops.

The rain is being helpful. Farmers no longer need to rely on "pledges or schemes"

Just their nous. And that good old Thai go get em spirit is back. (To quote the yanks)

You should visit Thailand. If you do live here, get out of the slums and visit real Thailand.

I actually live in a gated community in Chiangmai which may be the slums by your standard but I don't envy your higher social status.  I have visited the real Thailand over the last 11 years.  My wife's parents were rice farmers owning and working many Rai of fields in Chia Nat and earned enough to put her through her accountancy degree.  My wife now owns a lot of these fields and she and her father now lease them out and receive a percentage of the crop in return.  During the rice scheme they were very happy as they got good returns, better than previous seasons.  Some of the neighbouring fields didn't do so well but that was their poor management and wouldn't take advice from those doing well, stubbornness and greed were their downfall.  An uncle was one of these and after the rest of the family bailed him out and he listened he started to receive the rewards.  Yes I know the slums and the middle class but I don't know the high society set of Bangkok but to me that isn't the real Thailand.

52 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Try having your only commercial asset taken by a govt, who then refuses to pay for it, because their inept policy means they have no funds to do so. 

That's an obstacle that is difficult to face. 

I'll see your rice fiasco and raise you three submarines and a massive debt to China. Oh and a rigged parliament.

Edited by canuckamuck

9 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I'll see your rice fiasco and raise you three submarines and a massive debt to China. Oh and a rigged parliament.

And I hope they face the courts one day if corruption is revealed. 

Though pt's puppet master was equally enamoured with China. 

Oh, and seriously, the pt parliament was a model of good governance

Yeah, right...

13 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

That day in September can not come fast enough,

then maybe a cross off the list for the Junta, 

a day closer to a free election.

A free election?  Have you been paying attention at all? They have decided on more controlled solutions.

Edited by canuckamuck

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And I hope they face the courts one day if corruption is revealed. 

Though pt's puppet master was equally enamoured with China. 

Oh, and seriously, the pt parliament was a model of good governance

Yeah, right...

Yeah, so things got better did they?

6 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

A free election?  Have you been paying attention at all? They have decided on more controlled solutions.

Written in ink,

crossed out in ink 

re written in 

ink,

and life moves on.

“I smile often but sometimes I can’t control my feelings. I’m sorry to have cried before you today

I remember it as being the other way round, crying at the press conference then laughing in the elevator. Much better actress than P.M.

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

Truth be told, she caused untold misery on the rurals.

She schemed and scammed. She cost people their farms, sometimes their lives.

Rural Thailand is only now recovering. But the burden on

people who now have to support a family that has now lost its land holding also takes its toll.

She will be shamed, and losing face is the big factor here. But she has blood on her scheming hands

What happened to your repeated bleating about not commenting about politics in other countries and staying at home to fix your own problems instead?