Mens dress sense

superal

57 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It amuses me that a number of posters have felt the need to express that they don't care what others think of them and wear what they like, yet at the same time feel the need to express that they don't care on this forum !!!... 

With regards to the op, each to their own... However, my personal rules. 

1) Never socks with Sandles... Ankle socks with Trainers when wearing shorts, or just birkenstocks.

2) Never tuck a shirt in shorts 

3) Horizontal strips ok if slim enough

4) Dying your hair looks as if you are trying too hard (I've been grey since 30 !)

5) Shorts are fine in the city if in a casual place. I wear shorts most of the time these days (knee length). 

6) Facial Hair - no issues - you can have older fashionable hipsters, its about your style.

7) Ear & Nasal Hair - urgh.. trim it !

I see guys that are clearly trying too hard and fail, I see guys who look very comfortable in casual kit. I see scruffy scummy looking guys and guys well over dressed... But, it doesn't really matter at all... The most important thing is a healthy attitude and decent behavior in public... 

whats  the  point of saying anything to a stranger

Apart from the appalling fashion statement socks with sandals sends out, it also completely defies logic. Sandals were invented, probably in Roman times simply to allow your feet to breathe and there for keep cool. If you need to wear socks with them then it completely defeats the objective of what you are wearing. Many men like to wear those beer Chang type vests because it helps to keep them cool, but how many of the same men wear a vest top with another shirt underneath? Nobody....yet it's the same principle as wearing socks with sandals. If you need to wear socks for comfort reasons then there are loads of light weight trainers or summer type shoes available that would make much more sense.

Sorry....rant over.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

Adult men don't wear shorts in public, except on the beach.

At home country my house is at the beach. No one wears long pants even in cooler months (except if you have to at work, or for special occasions). Customers of high-end restaurants wear shorts. Very rich town. No one wears socks with sandals. I wear flip flops 98% of time. Mail carriers, DHL and UPS drivers wear shorts all year.

Idea: Instead of camouflaging your gut why not lead a healthier lifestyle?

In poorer countries shorts are still associated with farmers as are tans. However, as the internet has become so prevalent, people in poorer countries see how others dress and their views are changing. Some now see tans associated with people who can afford vacations and leisure activities. And they see rich people wearing shorts.

Can easily spot those who normally don't wear shorts and sandals.

12 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Absolutely if you're fit and flat stomachs I'm talking about the gut buckets that have massive polos on that reach down to their knees. Its scruffy as hell...

Why do you care does it affect you. Do you spend all day walking round getting wound up over what others wear and feel comfortable in. 

We're all different....

At home - mostly beyond the date old tee shirts & my old playing jerseys & cotton pocketed gym shorts....Some are old favorites and only suitable for around the house with fraying collars, small holes, etc....Suitable for lounging or yard chores only (wear them to preserve the better ones).....Never get beyond the gate - maybe seen if the mail guy has something.....For bike riding other old playing jerseys that allow for air flow & brought a few pair of matching uni shorts....

Venturing out....Had about 18 shirts made in the Thai style with Thai colors & patterns....9 = good for day wear with more toned down colors....9 = dinner or evening wear & suitable with good shorts, 3/4 length or long pants/slacks....These are brighter  Thai colored.....

For other more formal occasions I have 6 of the northern style shirt jac's that are suitable for about any Thai function & on par with what most of the other men will be wearing....

Everything is always pressed, ready, & waiting....

Don't own any wife beaters & have a few collared shirts if a suit or sport jackets is required.....

I can't think of a worse look than high black socks & sandals on white legs - see them from 100' away.....

Mostly I wear sockless Teva's, Nike sandals or Reef flip flops.....99%.....

Have low socks for the tennis/low hiking shoes but rarely ever wear them....

Have gray hair just to the ears & keep a goatee trimmed so close you couldn't see it from 15 feet away.....5 feet on the day it's trimmed....

My wife keeps herself (and our daughters) as neat as a pin - always.....

I just try & keep up.....

• Like 2

The OP needs to spend about a nano second in Pattaya.....worst dress humans on the face of the earth.....bar none....????

As far as hair?  More pony tails on bald guys than any other spot on earth or a massive comb over.

Sometimes I think the circus has come to town so many clowns out and about.....?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Why do you care does it affect you. Do you spend all day walking round getting wound up over what others wear and feel comfortable in. 

I did not know that there were so many fashion models on TVF. I'm impressed. Maybe TVF will sponsor a farang beauty contest and I might have a chance at taking home the sock and sandal trophy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

They may think the same about your shavex face shaved tossers

Some guys are handsome, some are ugly, some are in between.

But truthfully, throughout your lifetime, how often did you ever see a famous

person who is looked on by most people to be known for good looks to have 

facial hair? I can only mention people who were in their hey day when I was 

young, ie Elvis, Englebert, Scott Walker etc.

2 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

This has been the most fun post in quite a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It's making for an entertaining read....Even if it is kind of a "tried & true/rehashed" topic.....

So far we've left the men's purses out of it....But I'm sure someone will bring it up.....:smile:

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Well as i dont see any guy as good looking i will leave that up to you as you seem to be clued up on it

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I was always under the impression that a teachers looks and dress was more important

than his ability to teach here in Thailand. 

Probably in your case:stoner:

Just now, little mary sunshine said:

Yes live and let live unless you look like you

just crawled out from under a bridge, than you

are an embarrassment to yourself and your

Coumtry

So its live and let live if we corespond to your dress sense then:burp:

• Like 1

I imagine Grammer Police as warein Black Socks on the end of the 2 pieces of string he calls legs dangling from Kyser Bill Cargo Pants,and finished off with Jesus Creeper Sandalls..Headware a Knotted Hankie naturally.Shouting at Traffic for not stopping on Beach Road for Him, and Lady Wife Mildred, both from Bradford .[emoji481]?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Well as i dont see any guy as good looking i will leave that up to you as you seem to be clued up on it

I am only using and giving examples of guys with or without facial hair, not how they actually look.

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

Reading through this thread it appears many of you out there have lost your way and no longer dress like a gentleman should in the tropics :shock1:

My daily attire never changes, I have seven safari suits with tailored shorts, long socks with garters and I polish my brown brogues every morning for 20 minutes.

A dab of brycreem on the hair, Pith hat, well manicured nails and were good to go :sleep:

I certainly get some comments from the ladies!

You chaps should smarten up!

Check....

bobjack.jpg

9 minutes ago, CGW said:

Reading through this thread it appears many of you out there have lost your way and no longer dress like a gentleman should in the tropics :shock1:

My daily attire never changes, I have seven safari suits with tailored shorts, long socks with garters and I polish my brown brogues every morning for 20 minutes.

A dab of brycreem on the hair, Pith hat, well manicured nails and were good to go :sleep:

I certainly get some comments from the ladies!

You chaps should smarten up!

Welcome to the 1930's. Enjoy!

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You are wrong about Engelbert Humperdinck ... :smile:

594e0914832be_engelberthumperdinck.jpg.6c9c3bbda0beb5e577a861df59a1644f.jpg

Assuming you meant the famous composer.