Region top choice for US, UK visitors

rooster59

Region top choice for US, UK visitors

By THE NATION

MORE American and British travellers are coming to Southeast Asia, with Thailand a key draw, a study by Expedia.co.th shows.

The study found that culture and “once in a lifetime” and “you only live once” experiences are key drivers for British travellers, while visits to friends and family are the main pull for Americans.

Based on data from bookings in the first quarter of 2017, for travel from June to August, Expedia.co.th shows that Asian cities are seeing the highest demand from British and American tourists for the northern summer.

The Expedia.co.th data also showed that cities in China and Indian are popular for Americans this summer.

The most popular mainland Chinese cities for Americans are Beijing and Shanghai, with Hong Kong also favoured,

For British travellers this summer, the top 10 cities are spread across Asia. Bangkok, Beijing, Delhi, Hong Kong, Manila and Tokyo overlap as popular cities for Americans and British travellers this summer. 

The 10 most popular Asian cities for US travellers for this period are Manis in the Philippines, Tokyo, Bangkok, Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Ho Chi Minh City and Delhi.

For UK travellers to Asia this summer, the top cities are Bangkok, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Denpasar and Manila.

Of the ten Asian cities experiencing the most year-on-year growth from the US, five are in China, with the others in Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and India.

Cheaper flights from the US into parts of China and from UK to some Asian destinations may be helping to drive these trends, the travel company said.

The top ten Asian cities experiencing the most year-on-year growth from the US this summer are Laoag in the Philippines, Guiling, Shenzhen, Nanchang, Chongqing and Hefei in China, Sapporo in Japan, and Yangon in Myanmar. 

While not doubling the growth in 2016, a rise in numbers was seen in Kuching and Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia, Davao and Manila in Philippines, Danang and Hanoi in Vietnam, and Kochi and Hyderabad in India.

Thailand has seen year-on-year growth in several cities. Udon Thani and Hat Yai were up by 200 per cent in bookings from Southeast Asia markets. Phuket doubled in bookings from the Netherlands and increased by 55 per cent the demand it received from the UK. Bangkok enjoyed rise of 90 per cent in bookings from Belgium and the Netherlands and doubled the number of bookings from Brazil and France. It has seen a 135 per cent gain in visits from Spaniards.

For UK travellers, Asia ticks all the boxes, Expedia says, citing culture and unique experiences.

A recent Expedia study in Europe showed that Britons seek out the “once in a lifetime” and cultural experiences when travelling to Asia. Britons travelled an average of 3.5 times in 2016, with the main motivations sightseeing (53 per cent) and relaxation (52 per cent). Some 68 per cent of the 2016 trips were taken outside of their home country, with 67 per cent of these travellers a expressed desire to experience other countries. Being outdoors is also a key driver for destination decision-making. 

For US travellers, according to a 2016 report by the Singapore Tourism Board, the main motivation for Americans seeing Asia were visits to friends and family (45 per cent), holidays (27 per cent) and business conferences (21 per cent).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30318938

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-24

And the British Government say less are visiting every year. So Brits cannot count then

For UK travellers, Asia ticks all the boxes, Expedia says, citing culture and unique experiences, that must mean Corruption, Deception and BullS>>>.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Based on data from bookings in the first quarter of 2017, for travel from June to August, Expedia.co.th shows that Asian cities are seeing the highest demand from British and American tourists for the northern summer.

Analyse this source information and you'll realise this whole survey means nothing. Very few Europeans come to Thailand between June and August and even fewer use the Thai version of Expedia!

Lots of Americans on our Qatar Airlines flight last week - many more than I usually see. I find Europe a bit dangerous these days and Asia is always a welcoming place. The terrorist stuff really has Americans worried about going over to Europe. Also flights are pretty cheap right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, captspectre said:

if the quality of british tourist is anything like the ones on sukhumvit soi four and soi cowboy, the UK is better off with them here, nasty, foul mouthed, loud and drunken! 

Obviously, you're a regular visitor to these areas. No need to guess why you're in Thailand!

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

How many come just for the prostitutes though?

1 minute ago, Moti24 said:

Obviously, you're a regular visitor to these areas. No need to guess why you're in Thailand!

no, i have been in thailand for over forty years and i go to bangkok only to go to the hospital and stores, BUT I can see and I can hear, and I can smell and they are all over the place. I am in thailand because i like the people, i like their manners, i like their belief's in family, AND i like the way they enjoy themselves, i do admit to living in Isan,  

Complete bogus survey! Ask anybody (from anywhere) on holiday here in Thailand what their preferred destination for holiday is, and of course the answer is Thailand. "Loaded" survey. The facts are obvious for anyone that walks Pattaya.  Better yet, survey the business owners, all businesses, beer bars, restaurants, etc and record and post the survey.  555  Won't happen!  

Misleading headline, as everybody knows that by far the #1 tourist destination for Americans is Europe. In the winter I suspect the Caribbean far outranks Southeast Asia. This is not to mention the standard domestic winter spots of Hawaii and Miami Beach reaching down to Key West.

I go to Thailand because the stay there is cheap, and I can get hotels rooms for 500 to 700 baht per night.

I see many people who stay at the expensive places, and I have heard of them not having any better

time on their holidays that I had. In fact I got to watch a couple separate in the lobby of an espensive

hotel in Hua Hin.  I chatted with the guy and got a couple of free drinks as he told me of his high priced

wife being so demanding including staying at the expensive places,  I gave him 3 cheap hotels that I have

stayed at and he went with me to one and a week later , called and thanked me for the information, he said

he extended his stay a week and would be getting divorced when he went back to the USA. 

Anyway Thailand is still a fairly cheap place in Asia for a good holiday.

Geezer

1 hour ago, madmitch said:
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Analyse this source information and you'll realise this whole survey means nothing. Very few Europeans come to Thailand between June and August and even fewer use the Thai version of Expedia!

Hey Mitch, nice to read someone with a sound approach here ...

'Based on data from...' is an expression that pops up everywhere and all the time these days ... You'd think by now most people would be aware of the fact that probes, surveys, polls and the like should be approached with the utmost care ...

Not so. Apparently most people just take these 'studies' at face value, even when a minimum of research (and common sense, that very uncommon thing) is enough to prove that they are grossly unfounded.

Arrived back in BKK last week, short queues at immigration but may have just been timing. Arrival in KSR district saw numbers def lower even for the low part of low season. Our favourite GH had no issue extending our stay for the first time in at least 6-7 years. The GH is highly popular with European family groups and independents. It is also upping the ante with free extras in the rooms. Every local we've talked to here is saying that it's the worst ever for tourist numbers.

1 hour ago, captspectre said:

no, i have been in thailand for over forty years and i go to bangkok only to go to the hospital and stores, BUT I can see and I can hear, and I can smell and they are all over the place. I am in thailand because i like the people, i like their manners, i like their belief's in family, AND i like the way they enjoy themselves, i do admit to living in Isan,  

Wow!  Now they even smell!! You are supposedly not a visitor to the seedy areas but you can smell them.. Sounds to me as if you are just badly bigoted.

There are many unpleasant types in every country  including yours and I don't like the types you castigate but I personally do not judge a people by a few.

However as you lower to this level I will add that I'm not surprised that you have lived in this country for 40 years in preference to your own.

Edited by Lemonltr
forgot

IMHO I think that  this is strictly 'Advertising Propaganda' on behalf of the airline ticket seller "Expedia.co.th" as summer ticket prices have really fell-off this year to BKK....... 

That's a sign that they are hurting to sell seats so reduce prices in the last couple months and promote 'ads' like this to stimulate business.......

I've been in the travel business much of my life, and once again.... This is only my opinion and offered only to give you something to think about...........

I discovered I liked visiting thailand by accident. I had to do stop-overs on my way to Copenhagen from Sydney. I did not choose thailand - thai was the only airline flying into Copenhagen in those days. I knew nothing of thai culture nor the charming manner of many thais before hand. But I immediately fell in love with the place. Two day stop-over with cheap and expert massage, over a period of ten years, have led to the point where I am now virtually retired here. BKK is the fun city of the world surely. I didn't come here for sex, though I soon discovered this was an option. What I fell in love with were the people - I usually met thai women because thai men do not speak english. Thais are so much fun - I find their "culture" primitive and completely derivative (you know all that bs about luck, ghosts, and how superior thais are even tho they have contributed virtually nothing to global intellectual thought). I find modern western pop music awful - female screamers bitching about the world and male hip hop swearing about something) but thai pop is dance music and fun, and a thai lady will dance with you for a dollar or two ( and enjoy).  Add massage and food to the mix, and the great weather ... where else is better to holiday - in any price range. But its the people I like - not the false smiles - but the unsolicited genuine warmth and respect - and their total lack of inhibition about bodily functions and having a good time. I am told that Vietnam is rapidly replacing thailand as the land of charm - but I have never been there.    

A lot of young Chinese-Americans visiting China and Hong Kong to meet relatives see Thailand as a place they must see on the way. Bangkok and Pattaya are especially popular. Walking Street in Pattaya is known worldwide and is first on the list for seeing in Pattaya.

I have recently met some of these visitors in Pattaya en route to HK: a young couple from Brooklyn and five guys from Minnesota (sounds like the name of a musical). They were all smitten with Thailand, a couple to the extent that they were thinking of buying a condo here.

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I go to Thailand because the stay there is cheap, and I can get hotels rooms for 500 to 700 baht per night.

I see many people who stay at the expensive places, and I have heard of them not having any better

time on their holidays that I had. In fact I got to watch a couple separate in the lobby of an espensive

hotel in Hua Hin.  I chatted with the guy and got a couple of free drinks as he told me of his high priced

wife being so demanding including staying at the expensive places,  I gave him 3 cheap hotels that I have

stayed at and he went with me to one and a week later , called and thanked me for the information, he said

he extended his stay a week and would be getting divorced when he went back to the USA. 

Anyway Thailand is still a fairly cheap place in Asia for a good holiday.

Geezer

Do you offer that as a service?

:sorry:

Edited by The Dark Lord

A survey by Expedia.co.th finds Thailand is popular with travellers. Surprise!

BANGKOK - Based on the data from Q1 2017 booking window, with June to August 2017 travel period in mind, versus the same period last year, Expedia.co.th revealed that Asian cities are seeing the highest demand of travellers from the US and UK for this summer 2017.

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

And the British Government say less are visiting every year. So Brits cannot count then

For UK travellers, Asia ticks all the boxes, Expedia says, citing culture and unique experiences, that must mean Corruption, Deception and BullS>>>.

According to official figures (and not some travel company wishing to drive up business) British visitors have fall by over 50% - from nearly 1M to less than 500,000 -in the first 6 months of 2017. Of course, Brexit and the low value of the pound may have affected this - but considering how crime-riddled, racist and corrupt Thailand is, perhaps the message is finally getting through?

Edited by gios50hk

The number one choice for Americans is Central and South America simply because of the proximity. Europe is the second choice while SouthEast Asia is well down the list.  As far as British visitors- their numbers coming to Thailand have been halved from 1 Million per year to near 500K.  Thailand's main tourist visitor is from China and then other ASEAN countries and I doubt that will change.

There is a lot of competition in SEA Asia with Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam having relaxed Visas and some long stay Visas.  Until Thailand fixes some of the negatives- tourists will either give it a pass or not stay long while en route to other destinations.

I consider this a complete bogus survey. Possibly even made up by the TAT. A relatively small number of Americans visit Thailand. And even fewer live here. For the most part, Americans do not like to travel to the third world (and Thailand is definitely the 3rd world, despite protestations to the contrary) unless it is geographically convenient, which Thailand definitely is not. I am American, and over the years have been surprised at the relatively low number of American tourists here. 

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

The number one choice for Americans is Central and South America simply because of the proximity. Europe is the second choice while SouthEast Asia is well down the list.  As far as British visitors- their numbers coming to Thailand have been halved from 1 Million per year to near 500K.  Thailand's main tourist visitor is from China and then other ASEAN countries and I doubt that will change.

There is a lot of competition in SEA Asia with Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam having relaxed Visas and some long stay Visas.  Until Thailand fixes some of the negatives- tourists will either give it a pass or not stay long while en route to other destinations.

All true, and accurate. Thailand is completely ignoring the issues that are diminishing Western (higher quality) tourism, and focusing on low income Chinese tourists, who bring little to the table. Sure, they eat. Sure they support 7/11, and provide airport tax, and allow the phony TAT to brag about the increasing tourist arrival numbers. But, at what cost? I have spoken to countless owners of restaurants, gift stores, massage parlors, bars, and travel agencies, in addition to 4 and 5 star hotel GM's, and they bear witness to the ever declining quality of tourist coming to Thailand today. Gone are the days when the wealthy European and American tourists would come here and spend $1,000 to $2,000 daily. I had rich friends who would do that. Have they returned? No. Why? A dozen different reasons, that this ignorant and myopic administration, and those who came before, refuse to address. And what Thaidream said about the neighbors is correct. They are trying alot harder, being intelligent, creative, and progressive, and leaving Thailand in the dust. This once great tiger of SE Asia is moving backwards at a breath taking, and alarming pace, largely due to the Little Man, and his ridiculous lack of policy, intelligence, diplomatic skills, and vision.